I miss world of warcraft

I miss server communities. I miss having a friends list with players who were online. I miss those big cities like Shattrath, Dalaran, ect. that were so teeming with active players they caused latency. I miss raiding to see the next boss instead of for loot. I miss dungeon content that wasn't a chore. I miss having goals and players showing off what they had accomplished on their characters.

What I miss is World of Wacraft. But that game just isn't available any more. When players raise these concerns Blizzard usually raises a big middle finger. But subscriber numbers continue to decline, player activity is low, servers are de facto merging, ect. Meanwhile competitors like Riot that offer core gaming are enjoying big gains.

Is there any chance that Blizzard will reverse the trend of sacrificing gameplay, community, and immersion for "accessibility" or is Blizzard the WoW killer?
    Last edited by Alphadruid; 2013-12-05 at 07:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems you miss what is still there or had the wrong view on it to begin with.

1. Raiding has always been about loot, the raids look cool the first few weeks, but when it gets on farm it's all about loot.
    2. With BattleTag/realID I can keep in touch/Cross-realm with friends who have since moved to other guilds/servers. Much more accessible then it once was.
    3. Why do you want to be in a city all day?? Pandaria's been active in each new location released (Isle of Thunder/Barrens/Timeless Isle) so yeah people aren't in cities, they are actually in the world.
    4. Dungeons have always been a chore, but you don't have to do them, they are always optional.
    5. Plenty of players show off what they've done, there's only a VERY small percentage of players that actually will get some of the things available in WoW while it's current.

You say you miss all these things, so what do YOU think the game can improve on?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphadruid View Post
    I miss server communities. I miss having a friends list with players who were online. I miss those big cities like Shattrath, Dalaran, ect. that were so teeming with active players they caused latency. I miss raiding to see the next boss instead of for loot. I miss dungeon content that wasn't a chore. I miss having goals and players showing off what they had accomplished on their characters.

What I miss is World of Wacraft. But that game just isn't available any more. When players raise these concerns Blizzard usually raises a big middle finger. But subscriber numbers continue to decline, player activity is low, servers are de facto merging, ect. Meanwhile competitors like Riot that offer core gaming are enjoying big gains.

Is there any chance that Blizzard will reverse the trend of sacrificing gameplay, community, and immersion for "accessibility" or is Blizzard the WoW killer?
    I don't think those things are coming back.
    It sounds like you want a game that's new, still has players exploring it rather than trying to spend as little time in it as possible, and which doesn't take place mostly in menus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go play a new game, World of Warcraft doesn't need anymore rose tinted nostalgia players. We have enough of these people. Everything you said OP can still be applied in game. Instead of blaming the game that its changed, maybe its you that has changed. After 9 years of playing the game has changed so much for better and for worse. I look back on TBC and i remember all the good times I had playing with friends. I don't try to replicate that. I can't, you can't in life and you cant in game. If people can change why do you think a game can't? Remember the past, and enjoy the present.

Yeah, I miss the game being new too. However, there is nothing Blizzard can do to recreate that "new game" feeling you enjoyed. /shrug

I miss community and challenge, everything you stated is already in the game just presented differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    You still have those. In fact blizz thought people doing normal difficulty raids deserved something to make them feel special (when they aren't doing anything special), hence mounts and ahead of the curve FoS for *normal* raids. There's too much "reward" of inane crap to make mediocre players toot their horns and brag. They should cut half of that out and bring them down to earth cause I get tired of hearing normal mode raiders geared up through loot drop luck talk about how awesome they are when they stand in fire in world bosses and die repeatedly.
    No one gives a shit about "not dying" during a GY-zerg world boss. oO

10+ Year Old Account
    Community? Look where you're fucking posting. Welcome to a World of Warcraft based community.
    Challenge? Heroic raiding, give it a shot.
    Those big cities are still there and you can go see them. There is also going to be another large city type of deal going on next expansion.

I'm probably going to get infracted for this, but, if you truly miss the "World of Warcraft" you're talking about, go play one of the many vanilla based private servers. There you can see your "big cities", your "challenge" (COUGH) and your "community". Do it.

If you don't want to, then remove your god damned rose tinted glasses and enjoy the game, or quit. We don't need any more QQ then there already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsequent View Post
    If you don't want to, then remove your god damned rose tinted glasses and enjoy the game, or quit. We don't need any more QQ then there already is.
    People don't make these posts because they are enjoying the game. Taking nostalgia out of the picture won't suddenly make them enjoy it. Maybe it seems to you that telling people that their old affection for the game is flawed will help them see how the game now is better, but it's really just telling them the game is crap and always has been. It honestly sounds like this person just needs a new game, and there are plenty to choose from now.

god damnit - i am trying my best to not end up or participate in these types of thread, but from the title i thought it was going to be something other than

Quote Originally Posted by Alphadruid View Post
    snip
    can possibly try 1 of the hundred other threads on this topic.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is no different than the x10000 others and there isn't anything new or special to discuss here that hasn't already been covered as many times before.