Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Green Fire for Heroic Raiders?

I've been noticing a lot of Heroic raiders have their Codex of Xerrath (aka green fire) turned off and I'm curious to why this is the case. I suppose some might just prefer red fire or have not bothered with the quest, but I've been hearing that it decreases your FPS and your overall performance.

Is turning off green fire effect better for heroic raiding? I don't want to get rid of it because I'm proud of it (plus it looks cool) but if it will improve my performance I suppose it'll have to be done.

Curious to know what fellow warlocks think...

10+ Year Old Account
    Its too mainstream

It doesn't decrease your performance. They either don't like green fire, don't want to be like everyone else that has it, or don't care either way and never did the quest.

Someone told me that it decreases FPS. I've yet to see any evidence of this and they were most likely wrong. I personally prefer green fire simply because it goes better with my transmog (wut?), but I know at least three warlocks who have disabled it now that the quest line is infinitely easier to complete. Yes, I am being serious. Wish I wasn't.
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyrian View Post
    I've been noticing a lot of Heroic raiders have their Codex of Xerrath (aka green fire) turned off and I'm curious to why this is the case. I suppose some might just prefer red fire or have not bothered with the quest, but I've been hearing that it decreases your FPS and your overall performance.

Is turning off green fire effect better for heroic raiding? I don't want to get rid of it because I'm proud of it (plus it looks cool) but if it will improve my performance I suppose it'll have to be done.

The only issue I've had with it was during H Horridon progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelm View Post
    The only issue I've had with it was during H Horridon progress.
    HA! Thank you for bringing up painful memories.

It was cool for a while, but then everyone had it, and they keep making even more spells green! I like my purple demon form

Deleted
    Once a dude said that his guildies wanted him to turn it off - the green animations were distracting the team due to being similar to some hostile spells. tbh green fire really flashes, the red one has quite a subtle color

We had a few complaints during H Horridon but honestly, as a mage, I've never had trouble seeing anything through the green fire during my main raids or when playing my alt. Plus I'll never turn it off on my alt lock because getting it during the first week with a ~460 ilvl was a rewarding experience I can understand why getting it now would be less rewarding/feel cheesy.

Deleted
    I stopped using it after a while because I got bored. Then I used it again, and now I haven't been using it for a month or so again.

I prefer orange fire to be honest.

Also for Demonology I feel the spell effects look watered down and really don't like the look of green Soul Fire, so when I'm playing Demo I have to have it off.

I think I remember reading that green fire shares the exact same particles as red/orange fire, save for color.

I believe a blue stated that it was pretty much impossible for green fire to therefore cause FPS drops in relation to regular fire.

This seems like a personal preference thing to me. Possibly visibility issues but really seems like people want to stand out or literally don't do anything but raid / gear for raiding.

Green fire was cool at first. But after a while it looks boring. There is no texture to it, and the red fire looks so much better. Going back to red fire after green, I appreciated the red alot more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people say framerate issues.

I tend to believe it's because everyone and their mother has it now. 510+ ilevel gear trivializes the fight, much less 525 and on.

The graphics for the fel infused spells were layered improperly during ToT (they appeared on top of all the other ground/spell effects for everyone) and literally covered anything that it came across and that was causing major issues for melee (think FnB Conflag explosions on numerous mobs) and for anything on the ground with Incinerate. That was really the cause of the FPS issues (iirc) so it was "mandated" by a number of guilds to turn it off. Personally, I've had the Codex since first week of the Isle coming out and have had it turned off since Heroic Horridon and haven't been bothered enough to go back out to SMV to turn it back on.

Probably because during Durumu progress the green hellfire covered up the maze and you couldnt see shit. But I dont think there is really a situation of " most hc raiders have it turned off". I have mine turned on
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

I find the green icons distracting, especially for destro and the purple demon form is a lot more badass.

Deleted

Proud of it? Even a Timeless geared lock outgears it. I did it with my lock when it had 510 (no gems, no enchants and many timeless pieces with shiiiiit stats) and I suck donkey balls when it comes to lock abilities other than doing a proper rotation. 8 attempts, no guide except that I had gotten told that I should enslave the pit lord. And I suck.

I kind of forgot there was red fire to choose from.

And that's why Blizzard shouldnt care about petitions like the "wie need green fire!" one.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Because as of 5.4, it is no longer an accomplishment to get it. Being able to get 520 ilevel is extremely common, and with LFR givin 528 and timelss 535 its not difficult to achieve anymore. For heroic raiders with over 560 ilevel, using green fire doesn't really say anything either. Even back in 5.2, if you were in a ToT raiding guild it was much easier too with 520. It was possible with even 480 ilevel.

So considering that green fire is no longer an achievement, I choose red fire personally because it looks cooler.