Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    It's all a personal preference. I always wanted green fire as a warlock back ever since I started wow in vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethyrian View Post
    I've been noticing a lot of Heroic raiders have their Codex of Xerrath (aka green fire) turned off and I'm curious to why this is the case. I suppose some might just prefer red fire or have not bothered with the quest, but I've been hearing that it decreases your FPS and your overall performance.

Is turning off green fire effect better for heroic raiding? I don't want to get rid of it because I'm proud of it (plus it looks cool) but if it will improve my performance I suppose it'll have to be done.

Curious to know what fellow warlocks think...
    There are some fights that the Green Fire just clashes with raid mechanics. The one that jumps out at me the most was Horridon during Door 2 with all those poison clouds on the ground. When I was Demo at the time and using Immolation Aura my raid leader at the time told me to turn it off because people would mistake it for a poison cloud especially with Manno Fury + Aura. It honestly has to do with the specific raid mechanics on a particular fight, one of the ones that maybe could be a problem was playing Demo on Fallen Protectors and dealing with the Noxious Poison on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Santoisms View Post
    There are some fights that the Green Fire just clashes with raid mechanics. The one that jumps out at me the most was Horridon during Door 2 with all those poison clouds on the ground. When I was Demo at the time and using Immolation Aura my raid leader at the time told me to turn it off because people would mistake it for a poison cloud especially with Manno Fury + Aura. It honestly has to do with the specific raid mechanics on a particular fight, one of the ones that maybe could be a problem was playing Demo on Fallen Protectors and dealing with the Noxious Poison on the ground.
    So by that logic, do your raid leaders ask for warlocks to go swap to green fire in fights with orange graphics on the ground? How did we ever raid before there was a choice of colors? This whole line of thinking is starting to sound absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Zargul View Post
    So by that logic, do your raid leaders ask for warlocks to go swap to green fire in fights with orange graphics on the ground? How did we ever raid before there was a choice of colors? This whole line of thinking is starting to sound absurd.
    Becuase when you get used to seeing an orange hellfire for <insert years here> it is easily distinguishable, a new green coloured thing combined with a new green coloured ability is going to be a lot more confusing.

It could be that they look like hostile spells, especially the patches that appear when using F&B as destro. When we were doing challenge modes, our tank kept thinking my spells were hostile spells that he needed to move out of, because he wasn't used to seeing green fire patches underneath him.

I turned mines off, the green icons were burning my eyes.
    My name is what makes me so manly.

10+ Year Old Account
    FPS issues.
    Mostly on bosses where there a lot of AOE and othet stuff (Like Protectors for example).
    + Green one sometimes intervene within a tank's vision of the raid so that's why I turned it off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    I always thought the shade of green is too washed out/neon effect. Might have been OK if it were a bit darker and had more texture. And green for the top of the mounts and almost yellow on the hooves looks goofy.

Blizz always screws up something that could have been decent to have.

I like the effect, hate the icons.

I turn off and on to keep it fresh.

But anyway give mauve !

Anyway what I love most of green fire quest was the amount of gold I get from selling books, and RL one from selling quest "boosts"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethyrian View Post
    I'm proud of it
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but every warlock worth a damn has had this for quite some time. I mean, I guess it's still an accomplishment and something to flaunt, but hardly worth flexing anything over.

Quote Originally Posted by Xetenor View Post
    I always wanted green fire as a warlock back ever since I started wow in vanilla.
    No you didn't.

Deleted
    I never was into this green fire thing. I play WL since vanilla, but never really tried destro (and back in BC there it was only shadowboltspam, so i didn't see green fire either.)

But i did it the 2. or 3. day the Isle of the Thunderking was out. Just because it was Warlockstuff to do, and quite challenging in 496 for me.

We turned it off on Durumu, Horridon, Lei-Shen HC Progress in 25 man, because our Melees got eyecancer from it. But in SoO nobody really cares (maybe because nobody plays demo anymore, with that nasty green Hellfire)

Now I must admit, I like the new look of all the green fire stuff. Looks more impressive than the red one, and more like all this stuff in Shadowmoon valley where I and my fellow orcwarlocks tried the first taste of felmagic.

I see a lot of folks bragging about killing this boss at <480 ilvl and saying it is trivial at 500+ ilvl, and I call bullshit. I killed him at around 509 ilvl a few days after the patch and it was anything but trivial, I had to deal with all the mechanics and while my DPS wasn't an issue, that's true regardless of your ilvl because it's not a DPS fight. Granted I had to learn Destro to beat this guy and I hadn't played that spec since Cata, so I had a bit of catching up to do, but the fight itself took a fair amount of getting used to in order to beat it.

I'm not saying you can't do the fight at lower ilvls, you will just have to deal with more mechanics. I have a feeling that if you're anywhere under 520 ilvl you won't be able to face roll this fight, unless of course you do a shit load of research beforehand.

Anyway I love my green fire and I'm never taking it off. I just like the way it looks, orange looks so bland and… meh in comparison.
    Last edited by Xandy; 2014-01-07 at 11:03 PM.

blue fire is where its at

Deleted
    I also thought about that (I like blue stuff best), but it suits more to the mage class imo. And it may take another 9 years before they add such things. We won't see much warlock stuff in WoD, after they got so much attention and love in MoP. (and nerfs... *cough*)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandy View Post
    I see a lot of folks bragging about killing this boss at <480 ilvl and saying it is trivial at 500+ ilvl, and I call bullshit. I killed him at around 509 ilvl a few days after the patch and it was anything but trivial, I had to deal with all the mechanics and while my DPS wasn't an issue, that's true regardless of your ilvl because it's not a DPS fight. Granted I had to learn Destro to beat this guy and I hadn't played that spec since Cata, so I had a bit of catching up to do, but the fight itself took a fair amount of getting used to in order to beat it.

I'm not saying you can't do the fight at lower ilvls, you will just have to deal with more mechanics. I have a feeling that if you're anywhere under 520 ilvl you won't be able to face roll this fight, unless of course you do a shit load of research beforehand.

Anyway I love my green fire and I'm never taking it off. I just like the way it looks, orange looks so bland and… meh in comparison.
    It is completely trivial if you have a basic understanding of fight mechanics and you have decent enough keybinds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandy View Post
    I see a lot of folks bragging about killing this boss at <480 ilvl and saying it is trivial at 500+ ilvl, and I call bullshit. I killed him at around 509 ilvl a few days after the patch and it was anything but trivial, I had to deal with all the mechanics and while my DPS wasn't an issue, that's true regardless of your ilvl because it's not a DPS fight.
    I'm sorry, but compared to <480, it definitely was trivial with 500+. Maybe not trivial overall, but SO much easier.
    If someone really struggled to kill it with let's say 505, there is absolutely NO way he could have killed it with 476. I tried both back then, and the difference was huge.

No, it's not strictly a dps fight...but having to deal for example with an additional Felpuppy phase, a second doomguard for an extended period of time etc. can make it much harder and create much more hazardous situations.
    Not to mention the Curse of Doom, which could cause problems if you didn't cheese it with Purification Potions.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2014-01-09 at 11:03 AM.

Deleted
    i still use my green fire, but that has more to do with me being too lazy to travel to shadowmoon valley to get it removed than me actually liking the color of it.

A lot of special snowflakes got their ego brought to the ground when a lot more had access to the green fire. So obviously they can't feel specialy anymore or stand out from the crowd. It was truly something special when it first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    I'm sorry, but compared to <480, it definitely was trivial with 500+. Maybe not trivial overall, but SO much easier.
    I think some of you people have a peculiar understanding of the word 'trivial'. I did it at <510 ilvl and it was the single most difficult and demanding PVE encounter I've ever witnessed in this game as a ranged DPS. And I did some really hard encounters back when I was a semi-hardcore raider. Heroic modes are usually about waiting for the "weakest links" in your group to not fail on some of the boss abilities. They never task one player with so many different abilities that require different handling. Provide me with examples to the contrary, or please stop with this silly e-peen already.

On topic, I use it because I like it. If someone prefers to be a fire mage, go ahead.

bunch of red fire hipsters in here christ