Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why can't we see

other players latency? Is that not possible?

People wont be able to use the lagging excuse anymore. Really wish this was a thing.

It's never lag.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, it's never really seemed like a problem to me. The people who use this excuse falsely are going to be found in either LFR or a random dungeon, which are usually over very quickly either way. People who you trust, your friends and guildmates, aren't going to to try and lie to you about it...unless they don't deserve to be your friend.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

"I lagged" = "I was tunneling" ask Kripp.

People using "I lagged" as an excuse ruins it for when people actually did lag.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    People using "I lagged" as an excuse ruins it for when people actually did lag.
    Yep what are you supposed to say on those rare occasions when you really do get a huge lag spike, these bullshitters have ruined that for us.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone wants to pretend that lag caused their death, who cares? Who are you to judge or decide or demand that they provide proof?

Well, I actually do lag bad enough that real raiding and pvp outside of random battlegrounds is essentially impossible. It would be nice to have a lag indicator of sorts so other players would stop harassing me about not being able to win a duel with people in quest gear.

Anyways, putting that aside there probably is a reason this has not been implemented. LoL for example used to have an latency number underneath every character portrait, which was removed several months ago. When I did a little searching the on the forums to find out why, the general reason was that a team with a person with high latency had a much higher chance of having leavers/afk's/harassment of the person lagging. In WoW, with today's elitist player-base, I would assume that if you had more than say 50ms you would never get into a raid/arena/rated battleground, since someone would notice that you are lagging and you would be kicked from the group.

Deleted
    I think some people, me included, say lag when it's actually an fps issue (I know it's not really lag, but somehow I've gotten used to saying that)

10+ Year Old Account
    Because this isn't call of duty. You don't get a host to bitch at.

Thank you ElyPop for the sig!

Deleted
    I thought there was an old mod that could do this ?
    ORA2, TKM Threatmeter, or recount perhaps ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I thought there was an old mod that could do this ?
    ORA2, TKM Threatmeter, or recount perhaps ?
    I think recount used to, but they realized that no one gives a shit about latency if you lag out you lag out, if the raid dies its generally not one persons fault for having a ISP that is ran from a potato.

Thank you ElyPop for the sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Gusie View Post

People wont be able to use the lagging excuse anymore. Really wish this was a thing.
    Because that would be the next thing for the unwashed masses to cry about. It is currently ilvl. Just think about all the crying that would ensue the second raid leaders had a tool to determine if anyone was running over 300 latency.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I only ever use the "i lagged" excuse when i DID lag, which does happen from time to time. i'm not afraid own up to my own mistakes during raid.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    I dunno, it's never really seemed like a problem to me. The people who use this excuse falsely are going to be found in either LFR or a random dungeon, which are usually over very quickly either way. People who you trust, your friends and guildmates, aren't going to to try and lie to you about it...unless they don't deserve to be your friend.
    I'm playing with 10 fps in the wilderness and 1 fps in raids. You are right, it isn't lag. It's fps. Lag is when it comes from the connectivity, fps is when it's caused by my pc. I have this shitty pc and can't do anything about it.

That's in 25 man. In 10 man I have 8 fps and in some phases around 3. Yesterday I did my very first guild raid. We did SoO flex part 1. The raid organizer told me we will be doing part 2 so I prepared well for it. Tactics, flasks, food and everything. I had about 10 min to prepare for part 1 when he told me we will be doing it instead. I had only done it on LFR before that and didn't know about the mark of anguish on Protectors ( idk if the mechanic doesn't exist on LFR or I was just lucky the 3 times I have done it so far. )

In our guild run I got the mark twice. First time the mob chased me for a while ( fire mage with blink and blazing speed, can hardly catch me hehe ) then caught me. I had Incanter's Ward and Ice Barrier up, it took the mob a lot of time to take me down with all the incoming healing but I still ended up Ice Blocking. Then the mark disappeared. ( didn't see how but it did ).

Second time however was terrible. The mob chased me a lot less than last time and this time I didn't have my shields up, I, once again, Ice Blocked and even used the spell that resets your IB cd ( I dont use it usually so I dont remember its name ) but the boss got me. It took around 30 seconds and during that period my guild mates kept shouting "mage pass the mark" and I had no idea how to do it. I looked for clickable objects on the ground ( despite my low graphics ), I looked for debuff that I can right click to remove too, I tried clicking on the tank. I was desperate. I died and lied that I had a massive lag spike. I am new in the guild. First time doing guild raid. I couldn't risk being kicked out. Finding a guild that accepts people with less than 535 ilvl for flex was hard as hell.

While I was dead I googled mark of anguish and found out that an extra button pops up and I have to click it. Didn't see it at all in the panic.

OT: Lag is indeed the universal excuse but some people really do suffer from lag or fps issues and as someone said before me, this whole lag-excuse system ruins it for us. This is my first time lying that I had lag and I hope it's the last one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barlenor View Post
    "I lagged" = "I was tunneling" ask Kripp.
    Let's not. Infact, let's pretend he doesn't exist and the world will be a tiny bit better.

Usually lag problems in raids aren't from latency.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    Usually lag problems in raids aren't from latency.
    Raid leaders should prohibit the use of Stampede, the number one source of lag.

Deleted
    Don't really see how anyone has ruined "it" for anyone tbh. If it's in a pug and you honestly lagged, why give a shit if they believe you or not? In friend/guild groups, why would anyone suspect you of lying? Plus, even if they're honest and I had the tools to verify it, I'd still kick a lagger in a premade pug for causing several consecutive wipes on the same fail because they're still a liability whether they can do something about it or not.

The only people I can see benefiting from this are the keyboard warriors who would jump at the opportunity to go "HA! I WAS LOOKING AT YOUR LATENCY WHEN YOU DIED AND YOU HAD 50, YOU SCRUB!", and I can honestly see no reason to give them more tools.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gusie View Post

Because you don't have ora3 installed probably?

You don't expect standard wow interface to show rubbish like that, do you?
    Most players don't give a damn about other players's latency. If you do care - install an addon to show this and whatever other stats you like.