Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    They just aren't interesting. There was only one Half-Orc, Half Draenei, Half Human Kid, and his name was Med'an and I'm pretty sure he is Blizzards biggest regret.

We don't need any more, they just dilute racial identity. im not hitler i swear
    i wouldnt really use med'an as an insult to half races.

half races are okay, i wouldnt say they are boring, rexxar is one of the coolest most popular characters and hes a half race.

me'dan wasnt awful because he was a half race, he was awful because he was a huuuuuuuge mary sue.

oh i can use all forms of magic and my father was like one of the most powerful beings in the universe and oh my grandma actually wasnt dead and im the new guardian of the universe with my team of super cool pals
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawn View Post
    Because half-x is really boring imho :P

Also,
    why does no one talk about:
    talks about half-orcs, half trolls, half-orc-half-trolls, half-troll-half-elf, half-draenei-half-orc, half-goblin-half-oger, half-oger-half-orc, half-sindorei-half-kaldorei, half-dwarf-half-orc, half-dragon-half-human there are so many combations possible...
    Agreed, I can't think of anything more boring. I wish they'd just do away with them in fantasy, particularly for the fact that most 'races' are in fact entirely different species, with 'subraces' that would be better termed races.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

Deleted
    If they ever agree to incorporate new character customization, it's mostly gonna be textured changes (new skin colors, face scars), or little modeled things with slightly visible particle effects (just like the current legendary cloaks).
    However, stuff like "un-hunched" option (like for orcs, trolls or worgens), which would require a huge amount of animation hotfixes, and different models for a same race aren't likely to happen, given their latest policies on this type of subject (even though lots of people are asking for it since the dawn of time).

Furthermore, I'm afraid that making them obtainable via quests InGame isn't a really fair way to do it; those options, if they're ever brought up, should be ready from the get-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryfhus View Post
    If they ever agree to incorporate new character customization, it's mostly gonna be textured changes (new skin colors, face scars), or little modeled things with slightly visible particle effects (just like the current legendary cloaks).
    However, stuff like "un-hunched" option (like for orcs, trolls or worgens), which would require a huge amount of animation hotfixes, and different models for a same race aren't likely to happen, given their latest policies on this type of subject (even though lots of people are asking for it since the dawn of time).

Furthermore, I'm afraid that making them obtainable via quests InGame isn't a really fair way to do it; those options, if they're ever brought up, should be ready from the get-go.
    Yeah, all worth considering as likely outcomes, but also all topics that have been addressed by Blizzard recently as being possible and personally desired along with in some cases certain options discussed surrounding different aspects of these issues. I guess you're either aware of this and you're just saying Blizzard will never actually explore and go through with most of the things they've talked about and it's all talk, or else there are some quotes you may be interested in learning about more recently on these issues.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    I guess you're either aware of this and you're just saying Blizzard will never actually explore and go through with most of the things they've talked about and it's all talk, or else there are some quotes you may be interested in learning about more recently on these issues.
    Honestly I'm leaning toward the former. As much as I want subraces and upright orcs, I just don't see it happening. They often talk about stuff they'd "like to do" but wont for a variety of reasons (updating blood elf / draenei zones and cities, they've been talking about playable naga since launch, etc)

Though I do hope I'm wrong
    Some people really like flavor. Occasionally subsisting on nutrient paste just doesn't feel the same as eating a steak. I get that flavor isn't for everyone, but I doubt removing all cosmetic indicators from the game would be appealing either. Nobody want to log in, queue to fight modestly sized blue checked box boss #7, initiate combat using an attack sequence of abilities 1-7 with a 13 beat repeat coda intermittently, and collect item level 630 slot 7 gear either.

they also were talking about playable goblins and pandaren since launch, we didnt get them until cataclysm and mists of pandaria. its all about when they think its right.

i REALLY wouldnt compare silvermoon and exodar to sub races.

on one hand you have two cities where even with crz almost NO ONE is ever in past the starting zone or holiday events and would take ALOT of work to rebuild the entire zone, all the trees, and since a good portion of the buildings are just 2d they would need to make all new assets all so the handful of people who go there can sit on a roof.

on the other hand you have brand new things that can be used anywhere, can be used as advertisement for a new expansion or patch, has alot of fan demand, in some cases doesnt take that much work, and generally wanted by large portions of the community, WITH the added benefit of being a subrace which means they dont need their own starting zone and some of the other things people expect from a full race
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    they also were talking about playable goblins and pandaren since launch, we didnt get them until cataclysm and mists of pandaria. its all about when they think its right.

i REALLY wouldnt compare silvermoon and exodar to sub races.

on one hand you have two cities where even with crz almost NO ONE is ever in past the starting zone or holiday events and would take ALOT of work to rebuild the entire zone, all the trees, and since a good portion of the buildings are just 2d they would need to make all new assets all so the handful of people who go there can sit on a roof.

on the other hand you have brand new things that can be used anywhere, can be used as advertisement for a new expansion or patch, has alot of fan demand, in some cases doesnt take that much work, and generally wanted by large portions of the community, WITH the added benefit of being a subrace which means they dont need their own starting zone and some of the other things people expect from a full race
    Just to be fair, silvermoon is incredibly populated on rp servers.and the only reason they're not populated on regular servers is BECAUSE they're not updated / can't fly and because blizzard refuses to put services in any city other than orgrimmar or Stormwind. It just sucks that draenei literally have no home after all these years and still live in ruined space ship parts. Even on moon guard no one goes to azuremyst because it's literally impossible to roleplay there unless you want to pretend you're back in time.

Sorry for the digression. Just wanted to explain myself there. I agree with your main point.

Still, those features blizzard did add took YEARS after they said they'd add them. Thats what I see happening with subraces and unhunched orcs.
    Last edited by Psychotrip; 2014-03-28 at 04:09 PM.
    Some people really like flavor. Occasionally subsisting on nutrient paste just doesn't feel the same as eating a steak. I get that flavor isn't for everyone, but I doubt removing all cosmetic indicators from the game would be appealing either. Nobody want to log in, queue to fight modestly sized blue checked box boss #7, initiate combat using an attack sequence of abilities 1-7 with a 13 beat repeat coda intermittently, and collect item level 630 slot 7 gear either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would anyone want Female Trolls to look like this?

For the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Klaxxar View Post

Someone made a kickass drawing of a Night Elf in Ashenvale against some Orcs.
    I would play the fuck out of her, need new night elf models so badly T-T !!!!

The thing is, every feature they've ever mentioned or expressed a desire towards realizing later in the game's life is filled with any number of circumstances and context it's easy to just be jaded about and dismiss one with all the others in a massive false equivocation your jaded disappointment is capable of fueling. There are good reasons a lot of things don't happen, and sometimes the reasons aren't that satisfying. Sometimes it's simply of matter of getting around to something while you constantly have new ideas being balanced on your plate that you'd rather work on while maintaining a list of core issues you're determined to work on while any number of issues have their very own level of importance.

You have to be careful to both look at exactly how and when they word something if you want to bother playing a game of deduction and speculation rather than just lamenting and surrendering hope and being a stick in the mud over it.

There are big differences for instance between phrases like "we want to do that someday" or "we think that would be cool" and "we are going to do that someday but we're not sure when" and "it's now on our list of things we're planning to get around to eventuallY" and "we're now in the process of talking about how to do this" and "we're in the middle of working on it".

And it's all too easy for someone with a lazy mind that's had their feelings hurt to wave their hand and invoke "dance studio".
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-03-29 at 05:24 AM.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Thaladhrun View Post
    Agreed, I can't think of anything more boring. I wish they'd just do away with them in fantasy, particularly for the fact that most 'races' are in fact entirely different species, with 'subraces' that would be better termed races.
    Agreed. In the case of half-elves they're literally just humans with slightly longer ears. If they do choose to add them then I hope they'll be persecuted and loathed as is the case in the canon lore. They're meant to be mistrusted and looked down upon by their parent races and treated coldly. They're also not the special, powerful snowflakes that they're often mistakenly viewed as being.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    The thing is, every feature they've ever mentioned or expressed a desire towards realizing later in the game's life is filled with any number of circumstances and context it's easy to just be jaded about and dismiss one with all the others in a massive false equivocation your jaded disappointment is capable of fueling. There are good reasons a lot of things don't happen, and sometimes the reasons aren't that satisfying. Sometimes it's simply of matter of getting around to something while you constantly have new ideas being balanced on your plate that you'd rather work on while maintaining a list of core issues you're determined to work on while any number of issues have their very own level of importance.

You have to be careful to both look at exactly how and when they word something if you want to bother playing a game of deduction and speculation rather than just lamenting and surrendering hope and being a stick in the mud over it.

There are big differences for instance between phrases like "we want to do that someday" or "we think that would be cool" and "we are going to do that someday but we're not sure when" and "it's now on our list of things we're planning to get around to eventuallY" and "we're now in the process of talking about how to do this" and "we're in the middle of working on it".

And it's all too easy for someone with a lazy mind that's had their feelings hurt to wave their hand and invoke "dance studio".
    As I said I hope I'm wrong, and you very well may be right. I'm just not taking it for granted right now that it'll definitely happen. It's something I hope people keep bugging them about.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    As I said I hope I'm wrong, and you very well may be right. I'm just not taking it for granted right now that it'll definitely happen. It's something I hope people keep bugging them about.
    Same here for the most part. On subraces/ethnic skins, I think all in all it's inevitable now with the sum of all that's been said over the years and now the sudden increase in frequency of the mentions it's gotten among developers, but I think it's by no means going to be close to the extensive scale of things people have requested and speculated upon here, only a few commonly requested high resolution skins they used NPCs as an excuse to devote freeing up for player models as well. Anything else I won't be too surprised to see happen and I won't be too surprised to see never happen.

Deleted
    I just think they won't go really deep into this idea, again, if they ever plan on working on it (which seems likely, given the players' request that got bigger and bigger, as you previously mentioned), plus the recent news on the potential new models delay make matters worse.

However, this doesn't mean they'll never do it at all; maybe they'll release a basic build of this functionnality at launch, and then find a time to fully realize a new customization system later (again, if they care to update it).

Anyway, to stay relevant, those features will have to have depth, because developing costs time, which is money for them. Besides, "fan service" is not Blizzard's favorite cup of tea.

They just aren't interesting. There was only one Half-Orc, Half Draenei, Half Human Kid, and his name was Med'an and I'm pretty sure he is Blizzards biggest regret.

We don't need any more, they just dilute racial identity. im not hitler i swear
    Garona - Half Orc/Half Draenei
    Lantresor - Half Draenei/Half Orc
    Rexxar - Half Orc/Half Oger

http://wowpedia.org/Half-breed

there are many half-breeds running around >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post

Yes but in the lore, half breeds tend to he Mary Sues for some reason, half breeds would not be interesting choices for new races.
    You just lost The Game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post

There's three. A few more if you add some of the half-elves. That's about it. And like Shoc said, they're just boring Mary Sues for the most part, with no really interesting features to them. Garona's somewhat interesting, I guess, but she's probably the most egregious of the lot in terms of how stupid the race combination is. There's also Med'an.

Subraces, I can get. Half-races, not so much.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

Yes but in the lore, half breeds tend to he Mary Sues for some reason, half breeds would not be interesting choices for new races.
    i dont see how you could come to that assumption.

out of all the half breeds only one of them is a mary sue.

sure rexxar and garona are bad arses but they are no different than any of the other bad arses in warcraft.

besides me'dan half races are shown to just be normal people other than some slight differences.

garona is described as prettier and more human like
    rexxar is bigger than normal orcs
    arator hasnt been seen to do much yet but so far he just looks like a normal paladin with pointy ears
    lantresor is no more badarse than all the other blademasters.

would me'dan be any less of a mary sue if his mom was some random human? he would still have all the power from his father and grandmother

he would still be the son of one of the most powerful beings on azeroth who had been possessed by the strongest being in the universe.

having green skin and a bumpy forehead didnt make me'dan more of a weirdo

Quote Originally Posted by Klaxxar View Post
    Would anyone want Female Trolls to look like this?

YES. Yes I would.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

It's just another way to show how unique and special the character is. It's about the same as making a character who is the last of their kind or someone who practices some forgotten magic.

Making a mary sue race deliberately would be pretty funny though. It makes no sense and burns their uniqueness at character creation. Man, I am so sold on that; if any game is pointed that way it's WoW.