4 4.17%
  • only some of us do

40 41.67%
  • only titans know

5 5.21%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do we mortals in wow know who sargeras is

do you think we do or do only some of us do or none or only titans?
    POLL TIME

10+ Year Old Account
    I read it in a book in game.
    The goddess in my avatar is Hayley Williams.

Depends. Some of the older Nelfs probably do, and depending on how much you believe in the corrupted WotA thanks to Knaak, some Tauren and Dwarves might have legends passed down. But in a general sense of the populace outside of our PCs and the other main leaders, probably no.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes

Well of Eternity and when we met Kil'jaeden in the Sunwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kil'jaeden
    The expendible have perished... So be it! Now I shall succeed where Sargeras could not! I will bleed this wretched world and secure my place as the true master of the Burning Legion. The end has come! Let the unraveling of this world commence!
    Last edited by Lime; 2013-12-08 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Added quote.

Pretty sure draenei and night elves have first hand experience with Sargeras.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    Depends. Some of the older Nelfs probably do, and depending on how much you believe in the corrupted WotA thanks to Knaak, some Tauren and Dwarves might have legends passed down. But in a general sense of the populace outside of our PCs and the other main leaders, probably no.
    The Burning Legion invaded less than a decade ago. I'm sure the Nelfs queued the rest of the world in on what they knew.

Considering Broxigar wounded Sargeras I think it's safe to assume that many characters in-game know who he is. As far as regular everday people, perhaps they just consider him to be a myth or scary story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eric Thebeau or however his name is spelled knows who Sargeras is, and he's as young of a race as races get (Worgen) + He was a Gilnean, a people not known for communicating stories with Draenei, Night Elves and Quel'Dorei.

A portion of the Draenei, Night Elves, Naga, and potentially some Blood/High Elves, Aspect leaders, the inhabitants of Ulduar, and a few others here and there such as Khadgar. At best the other races have some legends/rumors of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Eric Thebeau or however his name is spelled knows who Sargeras is, and he's as young of a race as races get (Worgen) + He was a Gilnean, a people not known for communicating stories with Draenei, Night Elves and Quel'Dorei.
    Wait, who? I'm not saying that to be an ass, I legitimately have no idea who you're talking about. I wanted to look him up to see what he said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Wait, who? I'm not saying that to be an ass, I legitimately have no idea who you're talking about. I wanted to look him up to see what he said.
    Eric.. Thibeau, Tabaeu, something. He's a worgen in the Alliance Shrine at Pandaria. He'll randomly whisper to your character about doom and gloom messages. One of which referring to the Burning Legion. And while I can't recall if he directly mentions Sargeras, he clearly knows the background of the BL and how they operate.

Edit: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=65579/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I don't see any quote of his that references Sargeras, just the Burning Legion.

Everyone knows the Burning Legion. I think the question is directly about Sargeras.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    I don't see any quote of his that references Sargeras, just the Burning Legion.

Everyone knows the Burning Legion. I think the question is directly about Sargeras.
    I suppose so. Disregard Eric then.

I hadn't considered it before.... but yes, most people would have no idea who or what Sargeras is.

I don't see why people assume it's esoteric knowledge. So what is the alternative, everyone ignorant of Sargeras just thinks Kil'jaeden is the boss, or do they just not know anything at all about the Burning Legion other than "those demons who want to destroy our world"? I think anyone with the slightest interest in history would know in this world. And otherwise he'd be as infamous to the common folk as the Devil is to humanity. But I suppose the only examples we have are elite and exceptional people, whether ancient immortal warriors or their kin or allies, or scholars and occultists.

This is weird. I want to see the reasoning behind people who think most people are ignorant of Sargeras' existence a bit and let the question soak in.
    Last edited by Yig; 2013-12-08 at 04:39 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    This is weird. I want to see the reasoning behind people who think most people are ignorant of Sargeras' existence a bit and let the question soak in.
    Well how exactly do you propose that knowledge got around to all the random people in the world without being forgotten or dismissed as ancient myths? How many people who even knew of the War of the Ancients at the time even knew Sargeras's own name back then?

While the recent invasion of the legion may have transformed old myths about demons into common fact, I find it doubtful they'd know the actual names of those demons.

Think of it from the perspective of the common folk, and then apply an amount of realism. Most people/races wouldn't have access to such knowledge. And those with the knowledge of Sargeras would do well to keep it to themselves. There's no point in concerning the common people with dangers well beyond their scope, not when they have more direct, immediate dangers and concerns like famine, war, economy, housing, etc. Even then, things like Sargeras and the Burning Legion would be put down to rumour, old wives tales, something that happened in a distant land and time that doesn't concern me or you.

If you compare it with real life scenarios, very few people really know what's going on when it comes to national or global threats. Even militaries tell their soldiers only what they need to know, when they need to know it. Governments keep truths from their citizens for their own protection.

Only those who seek the knowledge of Sargeras would know of it.

The Council of Tirisfal kept it a secret.

10+ Year Old Account
    before I read some of these posts, I thought it would be obvious everyone knew who he was, now I have my doubts. most people would know the name of the specific orc or demon causing trouble in there area, but sargeras might not be common knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Well how exactly do you propose that knowledge got around to all the random people in the world without being forgotten or dismissed as ancient myths? How many people who even knew of the War of the Ancients at the time even knew Sargeras's own name back then?

While the recent invasion of the legion may have transformed old myths about demons into common fact, I find it doubtful they'd know the actual names of those demons.
    Concerning the Alliance, I could see humans being left in the dark. But I think the Dwarves fascination with the Titans, and possibly the sparse relations with the High Elves, would have kept his memory alive as mythology and to human scholars/wizards. And I think in Azeroth it's tricky to dismiss anything as myth, though I'm sure many suspected it. The Night Elves for example were a myth mentioned before WC3 while it was in development in the Last Guardian novel and were known to people in the Eastern Kingdoms if I recall, but nobody would have bothered trying to get too close to the High Elves exactly beyond a few exceptional individuals like kings and scholars/wizards to ask them about them.

I think it would be preserved as myth, possibly doubted by some, but I don't think he was forgotten. My head hurts and I've been awake for over 55 hours, I should probably stick to lurking, but I'll entertain the notion it's possible people just went on with their lives. But the High Elves and Night Elves and Dwarves all revere the Titans and the Aspects and would have preserved the knowledge I'd assume. And I'd think the humans would be curious about their origins, and to my knowledge beyond the Light there is no other religion they fabricated culturally to fill the necessary niche.

Then again there are some things bumping around in my head that have me considering it's possible you guys are right. The humans didn't seem to know what was going on in WC3 when the Infernals began to rain down.

Okay, I think by WC3 the humans certainly were ignorant, but after the events of the last decade I think everyone would generally have to be curious about all the stuff they've been going through, and the Night Elves and Dwarves would have made it common knowledge in the last ten years at least I'd posit.

I shall think on this more.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    But I think the Dwarves fascination with the Titans, and possibly the sparse relations with the High Elves, would have kept his memory alive as mythology and to human scholars/wizards. And I think in Azeroth it's tricky to dismiss anything as myth, though I'm sure many suspected it.
    Dwarves researching Titan artifacts and facilities would never have come across Sargeras' name. Sargeras had left the Pantheon long before they came to Azeroth and they didn't know what he was up to at the time.

The only way anyone on Azeroth would know that Sargeras is a dark titan is if someone in the Legion mentioned it. Or maybe the Naaru told Velen, if the Naaru even know that Sargeras was a titan.

EDIT: Although, warlocks talking to their doomguards would be able to find out that Sargeras was a Titan.

EDIT2: Old Gods know Sargeras was a Titan (The Sundering).
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-12-08 at 08:44 AM.