Poll: Do you research fights for LFR?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I watch all the videos while they are being posted from beta (Icy Veins!). Then from there I usually do it on a dps first (just to get the hang of stuff), listen to people when they explain, etc. Finally, I log onto my Blood DK and tank the fights (asking the other tank when I need to taunt and/or looking online for what I need to taunt on). That's how I do it ~: ).

TL;DR - Kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Most deaths I suffer would not be fixed by pre-knowledge of mechanics, and it annoys the hell out of me that people want to inhibit my fun by 'forcing' me to read about mechanics so we can avoid one wipe (repair bills are so high, amirite? And gold is so hard to get, amirite?). New content is only really 'new' once, settle the fuck down and let me enjoy it.
    If you wanna enjoy learning a raid/encounter then do it with a raid group you formed with like minded people, not 24 people trying to rush through content only seeking gear.

When I used to do LFR, I always watched the videos first, and then would get frustrated when I had to explain the fight to the tanks and dps. But I'm kinda glad I did, because at least one person in the raid could explain some basic details.

I haven't done LFR for at least 2 months, and my enjoyment from the game has increased because of it.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    research? what is this college? Just bring out the kegs then

Quote Originally Posted by DreadNeos View Post
    I researched fights for flex before I attempted them, never for LFR... normally someone explains everything you need to know right before and you learn what they mean during the fight, it's LFR ffs
    I research them for 10M, and because I am the tank.

If i were an average LFR player, I would not research them ( unless I was tanking them). You can learn enough on LFR after the first wipe to down it the second or third attempt. Even if you did research it and spelled it out exactly before the pull, you still are going to wipe a few times the first few weeks.

I do not research anything to do with LFR. I AFK most fights anyway. I couldn't tell you what most bosses in LFR do this expansion because I have AFK'd just about every single one.

Deleted
    don't even research it for normal, doing heroics atm. I don't research those too unless we spend time wiping. Tbh this has to be the easiest tier this expansion. Really...

10+ Year Old Account
    I am compulsively polite, so I research just to make sure that my fuckups don't waste 24 other people's time.

I know, I had a horribly decent upbringing! :O
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I only go as far as checking what's needed for my role. The way DBM works, you can pretty much learn by doing anyway. That mod will tell me when to dispel if I'm on a healer, alerts of me incoming heavy tank damage. If I'm on a DPS it tells me to switch targets. As long as you're using that mod, it's virtually impossible to fail. I never understand how Friday to Monday raids go so badly, or how it is that people don't seem to learn and adapt on those days. Tuesdays to Thursdays, even with new bosses is 2 pulls max.

I raid Normal and Heroic so knowing fights is pretty much required for me, I do not research them specifically for LFR and to be honest I'm not even completely sure LFR requires any tactics...

Quote Originally Posted by Praey View Post
    I do not research anything to do with LFR. I AFK most fights anyway. I couldn't tell you what most bosses in LFR do this expansion because I have AFK'd just about every single one.
    And that's something you're proud of?

Deleted
    I play MoP since the very beginning and i haven't done any research at all, i learned all the fights through trial and error.
    It wasn't that hard to learn the fights through in my case as i am a range dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    If you wanna enjoy learning a raid/encounter then do it with a raid group you formed with like minded people, not 24 people trying to rush through content only seeking gear.
    'cause LFR gear is super good, amirite?
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

Just tank and spank and GG. I generally queue as healer in dps spec and spam chain heals tho, easily #3 in healing.

I think the important thing in the early weeks of a new wing is to not be an asshole when people wipe to not understanding mechanics. If you know a strat politely suggest it in chat, a lot of the time people will listen. Look in dungeon journals/icy veins/etc to try to figure out what killed you/wiped the raid. Work together even?

Believe it or not I've tried this in LFR and sometimes it's worked. Does not always result in people being dicks and yelling insults at each other either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Yes

I kinda wish everyone would. Yeah, we know LFR is a joke. But if 23/25 members don't know, you can expect a wipe at some point. But this really only applies to when a wing has been out for some time.
    ^ Indeed.

LFR may be a "joke", but the nonsense of "LFR is so easy, lol you can just ignore mechanics" really tweaks me. You CAN'T just ignore them, or it's a series of wipes; the more you wipe, the harder it gets to finish anything since LFR is impermanent in nature, unlike a dedicated group or guild "real raid" run. Some folks make LFR sound like you walk in and you're handed loot. Sure, it's not hard like Heroic raiding, but it still requires that people pay attention. Just because I'm an "LFR hero" doesn't mean I like wasting my time wiping.

I always watch videos a couple of times per boss encounter before I go in; I get the general idea of things (avoid this, interrupt when boss does that, kill this add first, etc), and try to help out people who were running around like headless chickens.

I've been on this situation recently (came back from a 2 year hiatus) so what I did is this: Check my spec, learn the basics of my rotation, queue for LFR.
    While doing trash I read the journal about their abilities, the tactics are not that hard to figure out if you know each boss' abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    Just curious how many people do this.
    That's like asking who looks at the calorie counts when buying McDonalds

Quote Originally Posted by Majestian View Post
    doesn't mean I like wasting my time wiping.

I always watch videos a couple of times per boss encounter before I go in;
    So, when you play a single-player game, do you go read a strategy guide before you even begin so you know where to go and what to do for the whole game so you don't have to 'waste time' figuring out it on your own? Why would you even bother "playing"?

Also, as to wasting time, you're playing a game. That's pretty much the definition of wasting time.
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

for LFR specificly? nah, i read the journal and try to make of it what i can.. However i do watch and read guides but thats because i raid normal mode aswell.