View Poll Results: should pre mop ore and herbs be removed?

Voters
286. This poll is closed
  • yes they would server no purpose

33 11.54%
  • no i think they may still have their uses

227 79.37%
  • unsure/indifferent

26 9.09%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    I like the Blacksmith catch-up plan to a point also. I'd rather see it rewarding to make people buy current content mats to level, but also make leveling require a rather extreme amount to make professions an investment - and provide a return once you hit cap!
    I like this idea, especially as it relates to the new secondary stats. Keep the system in the game, yet make it so crafting lower-level stuff with original materials yields a better chance of getting extra secondary stats to crafted items, beyond whatever secondary stat a piece of gear might already be allotted.

Quote Originally Posted by Thralk View Post
    I like this idea, especially as it relates to the new secondary stats. Keep the system in the game, yet make it so crafting lower-level stuff with original materials yields a better chance of getting extra secondary stats to crafted items, beyond whatever secondary stat a piece of gear might already be allotted.
    Nobody cares about extra stats on irrelevant items.

Maybe this has been talked about already but here's my idea:

Revamp the whole resource node system to something that isn't so rigidly bound to the level of the zone and the player. It's just stale and sad to bind every damn thing in the game to a level range and then to a zone range. That's only interesting, IMHO, for character leveling. It would be so, so much more interesting for crafting and the economy if there was some use for copper other than building 25 shitty swords with +1 stamina. Some ideas:

-Squish the resource variety, it's just become tedious. Maybe 2-3 tiers for vanilla, one for each expansion.

-Turn in any resources for rep with any faction

-Make crafting be a relationship with an organization that has rep, rather than leveling through points. It could be the same 1-600, but completing things gains you rep, which would open up not just new recipes but some rewards and recognition. This could make it compelling again to actually craft blue and epic low-level gear.

-Combine resources together at special locations for a chance to create a new one or get an interesting effect. This could be open to all professions, just for fun.

-Related...stop dropping so many greens in the world and in dungeons. They just fly at you like mud. Quest rewards have been perfectly streamlined to gear up new players, we don't need all these crap greens.

-What about enchanters? Just turn all those dungeon greens into a resource for disenchanting. This could be as quick and dirty as removing the item stats, only showing the loot window for enchanters, and having nothing but a "disenchant" and "pass" button.

-What about green gear for players? Well, I don't know, you could MAKE IT. Or buy it from a poor crafter who just made 25 swords and is about to vendor them.

ok guys they said at blizzcome they wanted to revamp the proffessions next expantion. with the exception of jc and enchant since theyve alredy been talked about how do you think they will be changed?

yeh they could redo the catchup system for BS i like the idea of doing to skinning what they done with herbing and mining
    Last edited by thunderdragon2; 2013-12-13 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    To be honest I think its terrible that they already adjusted so many professions to be a Quick Level. Spoon feeding every player everything outside of Mythic raiding to get them to level cap easily is pretty terrible. It's rewarding for nothing...I may be in the minority with this one, but with everything else so easily accessible by the lowest common denominator of the player base crafting should be left alone.
    If you thought leveling professions took any sort of skill in the first place, you probably shouldn't be talking about other players being "spoon fed."

Mats are mats. Whether you need 100 tin ore or 100 ghost iron ore to get that next skill up shouldn't really matter. Takes as much effort to farm one type as it does the other.

Deleted
    No, in my opinion it'll take some flavor off the game -- as well as just making it a lot more plain.

I'm hoping they don't take profs out of the game! For myself and others it is one of the best and most efficient ways of making gold, outside of doing dailies. Which may i add hate more than anything in MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    snip
    Hopefully they address these issues in their planned profession revamp in WOD.

Second, all the people qq'ing about the AH price of old mats to powerlevel professions: go and farm that shit. Fucksake.

I brought Engineering on my DK from 1-600 so I could solo Shannox in FL (Goblin glider = trivial encounter) in literally five hours farming almost exclusively my own ore (only buying weird things like the occasional gem for the 1-375). You want cloth? go solo the appropriate level dungeon. You're level 90. 90's of some classes can even solo CURRENT RAID content.

What's stopping you from collecting 124382395487234987 Frostweave by pulling every mob in Utgarde Pinnacle heroic into one giant aoe bloodbath? What's stopping you from doing the same to Runecloth? Netherweave? Embersilk? Enchanting mats from the boatload of green/blue drop DE'ing from dungeons. Mining for BS/JC/Engineering is stupid fast and easy at 90 (literally nothing but another 90 can even THINK about touching you, and that's IF you play on a PVP server), especially with the insane 310% flightspeed. Herbs? Identical to mining.

The only reason you do none of this is because you're too busy being lazy in a capital city waiting for your LFR queue.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always thought they should make some of the new recipes require some of the old mats, and maybe some items from older dungeons/raids. It would be a way to get people out in the world and doing stuff, and to revisit content they probably haven't seen in a while. This would also kind of help the economy by making things like Dark Iron Bars and other outdated mats somewhat relevant again.

To be honest I think its terrible that they already adjusted so many professions to be a Quick Level. Spoon feeding every player everything outside of Mythic raiding to get them to level cap easily is pretty terrible. It's rewarding for nothing...I may be in the minority with this one, but with everything else so easily accessible by the lowest common denominator of the player base crafting should be left alone.
    It was the easy way out. The proper way would've been to add a bunch of new recipes specifically for leveling the professions, possibly being useful gear for people leveling. It could've created a new market for the game with proper leveling gear you could go back and buy every few levels from the AH (or use a main to buy sets and send them to yourself).

I usually don't jump on the dumbing down bandwagon. I think the current mat leveling is an alternative, especially when prices are steep (pay high prices - convenience or play the game - gather). I think it is purely a bandaid for the real problem, as an example, if they don't update those patterns to WoD mats, then people still have to go farm old content for leveling. Where as making stuff worth crafting and it leveling per craft at a reasonable rate is a real fix to the issue.

This is the type of stuff people should give strong, respectful, constructive feedback about on the official forums. Why the system is bad and valid ways to fix it; and why their band-aid fixes are bad for the experience versus taking a bit of time to make things reasonably valuable as you move along, but for use by the crafter and for them to put it up on the market.

Deleted
    The only thing that bugs me is, as a player on a non-full/high server, all mats cost extremely much if they're not content (usually).

1 stack of cobalt bars = 400g+ easily

2 suggestions:

1: include old world mats in current recipes. It will give people a reason to go farm them.

or

2. apply the item squish to levels too. start off all characters at level 90 so you're really only leveling 90 - 100 or 1- 10.

Its quicker to use the old ore imo

It takes at least 10k ghost iron ore to go from 1-600

You will die of boredom before you even hit 450

at least with the old ore you get to see something different

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Its quicker to use the old ore imo

It takes at least 10k ghost iron ore to go from 1-600

You will die of boredom before you even hit 450

at least with the old ore you get to see something different
    true what do you think will happen with jc tho?

its good that they are removing hit/exp/dodge/parry gems and there will be less gem slots onn pve gear so do you think jc will be more focused on rings and neckleces rather than gems in wod?

also will there be any gem slots on pvp gear?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they need to be removed, but they definitely need to be made more relevant. Every profession needs 4 things:

1) Something that is useful on a consistent basis (consumables or item enhancement.)
    2) Something that allows them to make several powerful slots, that takes a while, but can be sped up with mat grinding.
    3) A way to consistently make money or save time.
    4) Straightforward, non-bag-strangling leveling. Also, every prof needs to be able to up-convert mats.

Personally, I would like to see the professions be able to make any non-lore loot in the game. You would still need to run the appropriate zone level to gather mats and patterns, but it would add a nice way to acquire that one piece of gear that won't drop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by amaraim View Post
    The only thing that bugs me is, as a player on a non-full/high server, all mats cost extremely much if they're not content (usually).

1 stack of cobalt bars = 400g+ easily
    That sucks for leveling, but's it's great for making money =)
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

No. I like having a lot of variety with herbs.

Add alternate catch up methods to other professions that require metric boatloads of current mats? Sure, go nuts.

Remove all the old ore/herbs/etc. and have it leveled only via current content's materials? Nah.

Doing away with CRZ would make farming said old world mats infinitely easier to stomach, but that's another can of worms worthy of a separate thread which would most likely end up locked. :P

The problem is lack of desirability for low level craftings, effectively making much of it vendor/disenchant trash.
    That is what should be changed, reducing the material requirements and levelling grind for those items.
    At present is it not feasible for a new player to level a profession and craft items from it to use at the levels they are aimed it.
    Nor is it feasible for a new player to buy those items from another player due to the prohibitive cost, for the above reason.
    The lowbie stuff is generally most likely to be craftable by those at level cap, and that would mean materials gathered from content they are not actively using.

Making players actually levelling through that content able to realistically craft the stuff would increase the supply, and reduce the costs.

Catch-Ups should not be necessary, and only a sign of a broken system.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Remove the bonuses from max level professions. Problem solved since they will lose their meaning then. The very few screwed max level epics you can actually craft are not bad but not even a shadow from crafting in classic&tbc. And everything below is what? mog gear? nostalgia? a reason to gank in low level areas? The whole stuff has completely lost its meaning long time ago (in classic it was awesome to finally have stats on your helmet! with your selfcrafted stuff!). Just screw the bonuses and see how many people care about professions after that. Gems, glyphes, enchants and flasks are one thing but blacksmith tailor and leather are only good for the enhancing stuff and the bonuses. The rest 98% is completely garbage. I wouldn't care about professions after bonuses are removed - crafting prices will go up? Oh maybe to the level of classic crafting prices? laughing matter...

This can't be a real thread.. why would you ever remove them?