Deleted

Motherboard for i5 2500k

I recently got my hands on a very cheap used i5 2500k. I am having a little trouble selecting what motherboard to buy for it. The majority of Google found suggestions are discontinued

I want to be able to get a half decent overclock from it (4.2ghz +). I do not care about any bonus features (eg usb3, sli) as the machine will be nothing but a cheap wow box and i am not looking for it to be upgraded in the future.

Any suggestions for a widely available board that will do the job for me? the cheaper the better, but the overclock capability is a must. UK links would be great (scan.co.uk, ebuyer.com, amazon, ebay etc..).

Thank you very much in advance for taking the time to help me

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 and it has worked wonders, and not a single issue!
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

I got a P8P67, works fine for over 2 years now, and there are a lot of different versions so you can pick the one which fits best with you!
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Cheapest OC'able mobo i could find on amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-XKT...68+motherboard

Sure it will easily do 4.2, thats basically nothing for a 2500k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Cheapest OC'able mobo i could find on amazon UK:

(link)

Sure it will easily do 4.2, thats basically nothing for a 2500k.
    Thanks for the link, i know 4.2 is a little low but it was more of a minimum...considering i was looking to do it on the cheap and i haven't got an overly expensive cpu cooler. I know some of the cheaper motherboards struggle with higher oc's

Think ill get 4.5ghz out of that motherboard and with my relatively cheap cpu cooler (Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO)?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd personally look for a Z77 motherboard that supports Sandy Bridge CPUs, as it will give you the most for your money easily. Many also will allow you one PCI-E gen 3.0 X16 lane, as well! The technology grew from P67 to Z68 and finally to Z77, I'd focus on Z77.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Honestly all mobo's will OC to basically the same levels, i have a p67 biostar that will run my 2500k at 4.9ghz but i run it daily at 4.4 on stock voltage (1.28) because i dont really see a point in pushing your hardware and risking damage for gains you really cant see in games. I only run at 4.9 if i want to do benchmarks which i rarely do. That mobo will absoluely do 4.5ghz, the question is if your chip will (id say 99% of 2500k's will do this, but as always its about silicon lottery).

- - - Updated - - -

I dont see any point in spending extra for a z77 in his situation, he didnt state he needed any of the technologies from that chipset, he said he wanted a cheap mobo that would be able to oc his 2500k. Cheapest z77 board is 20 pounds (33 dollars) more than the board i linked on amazon UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will bet when he said cheap he wasn't meaning THAT cheap. Holy hell. o_o
    "A flower.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have seen ASRock Z77 extreme 4 at Microcenter for like $60, I also own one and I can say that its a pretty nit motherboard. Z77 they go down on price now a lot and I can bet that you will be able to find something like that for pretty low price at amazon.co.uk or any other website that provides UK deliveries.

Edit: Like this one here... I just dont know if you are fine with refurbished mobo
    Last edited by Electroso; 2013-12-10 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I will bet when he said cheap he wasn't meaning THAT cheap. Holy hell. o_o
    Whats wrong with getting a good deal? I paid literally 20 bucks for my biostar (mind you, from microcenter) has worked for 2.5 years at 4.4ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel25 View Post
    I have the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 and it has worked wonders, and not a single issue!
    This nuff said it rock huehuehue seriously really good board OC well....I dont even know if upgrading my 4.5GHz sandy would be necessary

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats wrong with getting a good deal? I paid literally 20 bucks for my biostar (mind you, from microcenter) has worked for 2.5 years at 4.4ghz.
    I'm sorry, did I say there was something wrong with it? I am more just assuming he was probably more prepared to spend a little more on a motherboard from a manufacturer who has actually proven themselves over the years.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'm sorry, did I say there was something wrong with it? I am more just assuming he was probably more prepared to spend a little more on a motherboard from a manufacturer who has actually proven themselves over the years.
    Gigabyte isnt a proven manufacturer? Careful with brand bashing around here sir, mods dont take too kindly to that.

Gigabyte isnt a proven manufacturer? Careful with brand bashing around here sir, mods dont take too kindly to that.
    Biostar isn't part of Gigabyte, two totally separate companies. Biostar has had a checkered history.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Thread isnt about biostar tho lol. I suggested him a gigabyte board, this is what deltrus said:

I am more just assuming he was probably more prepared to spend a little more on a motherboard from a manufacturer who has actually proven themselves over the years
    He was speaking to the gigabyte board.

And as an aside, biostar is a top notch manufacturer these days and offer outstanding prices on high end boards.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets take hyundai for example, they TRULY used to make terrible cars but looks how far they have come, winning reliability awards all over the place while looking better than the competition at a lower price. I look at biostar the same way : )

I agree, I owned a Biostar board for my 2500. Had no issues for about 1.5 years. I thought he was referring to them though, not Gigabyte.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I'd recommend the ASRock Z77 Pro3. I'm currently using the micro version of this board with my 2500K, and it is excellent for the price. It also overclocks like a champ, I run at 4.6GHz day-to-day, but have had it up as high at 5GHz with no stability issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I agree, I owned a Biostar board for my 2500. Had no issues for about 1.5 years. I thought he was referring to them though, not Gigabyte.
    I was, see the post I quoted.

@Fascinate, do NOT put words in my mouth. Mods wouldn't like that, either. I love Gigabyte, but all I see is Biostar.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post24182411

All I see in that post is me responding to you talking about Biostar, NOT Gigabyte. Maybe you should have not even brought up Biostar, because when I responded initially, I was commenting basically trying to say "wow, that's a cheap Gigabyte board, but I am sure the OP is ready to spend a little more on a nicer board, whether Gigabyte or not doesn't matter."

Try to assume a little less.

Essentially, where glo tried telling you I was talking about Biostar, you should have taken the hint. glo knows me well-enough.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2013-12-12 at 08:16 PM.
    "A flower.