Thread: No Man's Sky

A lot of this I chalk up to them biting off more than they can chew. Small studio, possibly first major project they've ever done. Suddenly given a lot of marketing by Sony and tons of attention by fans and they spilled their spaghetti.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    A lot of this I chalk up to them biting off more than they can chew. Small studio, possibly first major project they've ever done. Suddenly given a lot of marketing by Sony and tons of attention by fans and they spilled their spaghetti.
    For a lot of stuff that is often the case. But 1 month before release you know what will and will not be in the game (aside from really minor stuff). They knew 1 month before release that they would not have multiplayer for example.

That is why people are calling this deliberate lies and not just promises that didn't work out.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Do you know what it means when 2-4 months before a game releases, The devs says X is in it but come release it isn't?
    Well you know it's not a promise unless they cross their heart and hope to die, plans change all the time, and all that Gizzard™ good stuff

the game appears to be good..but in Portugal the price is around 50 dollars ( 45 € ) I think is to much for that game..i'll wait for a promo.

Deleted
    my current planet is inhabited by only bouncing creatures, the most notable is the giant bouncing pineapple creature, very interesting planet

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    You sound like a sorta friend of mine, claiming that DLC is content that is only cut to make a buck later.

It's just as annoying when he does it, and shows just as much a lack of understanding the process of developing a product.
    Except no, I do understand the process of developing a product.

Kindly go and watch any interview of Sean Murray advertising No Mans Sky and compare it to what is in the game in it's current iteration, weigh it up to what he says you can and cannot do, then come back and tell me I'm wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Low Flight mod best mod

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I've never gotten on this train and everyone in their right objective mind can see that promotional material from only several months ago (and let me get it out here, a few months means that they were in post-production) promised many things that are not in the game. Actually, Angry Joe does the right thing here and calls all the bullshit. And it would be forgiven if he hadn't lied like a stone-cold serial killer, but he did. He lied like a pro. You can see the lines on his face, but he covers them up real good. He was lying and he was knowingly doing so.

Everyone who defends this title based on its promise, is definitely out o their fucking mind and what else besides fanboy is there to call that category? Everyone that defends the title based on its current content; That's fine. If it's what you enjoy and you don't mind that you overpaid about €30 for thin air, that's up to you.

No one can contest that the remaining €30 is the biggest scam in existence.
    Except that I never defended the lie nor said he didn't lie. I just said people need to stop getting suckered into the hype train. People need to stop taking everything debs say as gospel and if they deviate they are the worst person ever and the game is shit.

I have serious doubts that the game was in post production, because game deva literally work on the game 16-20 hours a day in the weeks leading up to a PC release, and this game was very clearly released unfinished and pushed out the door by Sony, since it had already been delayed once. They probably wanted to add those features and simply did not have the time to get them working.

Blizzard used to share features that were still in concept and development stages, because they were excited about them. The when some of them just didn't work and didn't make it into the final gane, players would kick and scream that blizzard was scammed and liars. That they baited and swiyched. When in fact they had literally poured hundreds of man hours into the feature trying to get it to work, and simply couldnt. Now they don't tell us about POTENTIAL features because they know that if they can't get them working, they'll be accused of being liars and scammers. They're taking the safe route of only talking about finished features now, and keeping development features a secret because players can't temper their rage.

Here's another thing about developing a game for both PC and console. Often a feature will work on one and not the other, and if they can't get it working on both, they have to scrap it. Sean may or may not have been lying. Many of the features may have been working on their PS4/PC version and they were trying g to get it working on the other. He made the mistake of answering questions about features that were probably not fully implemented at the time.

I've had over 50 hours of fun with this game now, as have many others. I've paid 60 bucks for games that only had 20 hours of game play for me. Sure, it should be priced at 30, but once again their producer, Sony, made them release at 60. Sony ruins a lot of indie stuff it touches. It's why I'm looking forward to star citizen. They have not bent over for any producer. BUT I AM NOT GETTING MYSELF HYPED OVER FEATURES THAT MAY OR MAY NOT MAKE IT. So that when it is released, I will have fun no matter what, instead of bitterly spamming forums about how terrible it is and calling anyone who disagrees with me a fanboy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Low Flight mod best mod
    Yes, PC is once again master race because of ability to mod. I have no doubt some pretty kick ass mods will come out for this game since there is a lot to build off of.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I know many devs in the gaming industry across several of the genres. A lot of freatures often do get cut because they're buggy and cannot be fixed, or they never manage to get them working at all in the first place, or there are time constraints, etc.

Everyone talks about how if they made a game, they could make it amazing, make it in 2 years, make all the features anyone could want, etc. and they're 100% bullshitting.

Hello Games has done a pretty bad job about communicating, but there are undoubtedly some good reasons why many features didn't make it in, while others don't have good reasons. The game was obviously pressured to be pushed out the door by Sony (something that happens when you sell yourself to big companies for funding, you get hard release dates, and if you can't make it, you never work in the industry ever again) and time constraints are probably why a good many features didn't make it in.

Blizzard has dropped more features than I can recall over the years that they've talked about. People whine about Blizzard "lying" but in nearly every case they tell us why the feature didn't make it in, either buggy, time constraints, couldn't get it working like they wanted, etc. and that's just the reality of game design. But people still play Blizzard games

All in all, it's just a bad idea to jump on the hype train for any game, because you will only ever be let down. I've almost always said that devs should just not ever talk about features unless they know for 100% sure that they have it implemented and working just from what I've heard talked about by my friends in the industry. Because players are vicious, they will rip you apart if even a single feature is missing, and they will call anyone who has an objective perspective/insight and doesn't agree with their hatred "white knights" and "fanboys".

Everyone I know, and every time I see it posted on here, of people who don't buy into hype trains, who don't really follow every single dev interview, who know not to put stock in the words of what devs say might be in the game, they all have funs with just about every game they play. The game is never made into this crazy, unrealistic expectation within their mind, and thus when they do play, they are not let down. This is the kind of preferable state of mind to be in, because I would certainly hate to be a person that spends all day on forums trying to convince others to hate a game just as much as I do. I'd hate to sit around and try to find others who think like me so we can circle jerk about how everyone else is just blind fanboys.
    Like I said. Some of you are just trying way to hard.

Is Hello Games paying you to defend them or something? Because at this point, that's the only thing that makes sense. I mean, it's one thing to defend a game you like. It's another thing entirely to defend a developer that straight up lied to you and basically stole your money and gave you an unfinished product. It's almost like you have a form of Stockholm Syndrome with the game and its dev.

Deleted
    I'm so happy Mods are appearing for this game!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Low Flight mod best mod
    are mods supported by the devs, as in they are allowed and dont effect save files?
    was going to install some, namely the low flight mod and the quicker interactions one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    I'm so happy Mods are appearing for this game!
    same, i hope there will be a good modding community, could fix a lot of the shortcomings and little things wrong with the game. the low flight mod and quicker interactions one, those 2 alone improve QoL a lot for me

- - - Updated - - -

can someone who is smarter than me explain why we have to reload the game after changing any graphics option? literally no other game i have ever played has required you to exit the game and restart it after changing a graphics option, someone explain like im five why this is the case with no mans sky!

it makes it a complete pain for people who have a potato pc like me, who need to tweak the graphics settings to get the game to run smoothly, and having to exit and reload all the time is just a hassle. even more so that this intro screen where you fly through the stars takes about 2minutes on my pc :\

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm not actually convinced that button does anything.
    Despite saying it works off of tab I've only got it to work by hitting X. And its only ever taken me to another system I've discovered but that is likely because no one is around me discovering stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know what it means when 2-4 months before a game releases, The devs says X is in it but come release it isn't?
    Things changed? From the looks of your signature You've played WoW for long enough to know how game development works.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Is Hello Games paying you to defend them or something? Because at this point, that's the only thing that makes sense. I mean, it's one thing to defend a game you like. It's another thing entirely to defend a developer that straight up lied to you and basically stole your money and gave you an unfinished product. It's almost like you have a form of Stockholm Syndrome with the game and its dev.
    My money wasn't stolen. I willingly paid it knowing full well what I was potentially getting. Multiplayer was such a small aspect of the game to begin with and most of the other things talked about that are missing are relatively minor. The only ones who have a form of Stockholm syndrome are those that continue to hate on the game and spend their time discussing about it. You don't like it. Everyone here knows you don't like it. Move on or seek help for why you are addicted to talking about it when it is apparently so terrible. (So Terrible you can't stop discussing it).
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Surely people can learn that if you quote people they'll continue replying. If you feel people are just trolling a thread it's best to put them on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Things changed? From the looks of your signature You've played WoW for long enough to know how game development works.
    Your telling me that 60 days before a game releases things changed enough to gut 90% of the game?????????????

What are you smoking because I want some. They was showing the game off and saying X was there...that is called lying. It has shit to do with "Things Changing" 60 days before the games release.

The mental jumps people are doing to defend Hello Games is fucken amazing.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Like I said. Some of you are just trying way to hard.

As I said, I hate to have such a miserable existence that I must make everyone hate a game/developer as much as I do.

I've pointed it out before, they may have knowingly lied, they may not have. They did make the mistake of at least talking about features that were not fully implemented and tested, but they clearly had them working in some demoable form, because they appeared on game demos. They may very well have believed that they could implement those features they talked about. Knowing that the refund button works so well, they had very little reason to deliberately tell a bold faced lie about something they knew would not be in the game.

There are a FUCK TON of features that devs work on that never make it into games. Advanced devs have just learned not to talk about them. All of the big game series that everyone loves, elder scrolls, fallout, mass effect, etc. all have tons of features that never make it, and less than 10% of drawing board ideas ever make it into the final game. Blizzard got into a lot of trouble in previous expansions when they talked about features they fully believed they could implement, and then failed to deliver. The thing is, they worked night and day on those features, but in the end couldn't get them working. But WoW players didn't see or know that, so they just cried that they were straight up lied to.

Indie devs get excited and share their ideas, then find they can't implement what they wanted, and fans get mad.

I'd PREFER it if devs shared their ideas of what might be in the game, because I like to hear about such things, and know that some might make it and some might not. But I also know that them talking about these things makes inexperienced people believe that these features are promised, and they invade forums and other social media trying to get everyone to think they same way they do, and if someone doesn't share their narrow, bitter point of view, they're a fanboy, white knight, or have stockholme syndrome or something like that.

But as I said previously, I don't follow dev interviews very much, if ever. I don't jump onto hype trains and build these games up in my mind. I don't tell myself that these devs are making gospel promises to me when they talk about features. And the thing is, I doubt the people in here who are criticizing the devs for lying did either. They just found the game lacking, then went on Reddit and youtube to find a reason to justify their hatred. "Oh the devs lied, this is perfet, this justifies my dislike of the game!"

You know, if you dislike a game that's fine. You can dislike it to dislike it. You don't have to find reasons to justify your dislike.

I look back through this thread, and I see none of the people who are whining about "lies" were talking about this game and the dev "promises" before all of this. It's as if they did not know about any of this before hand, then went to reddit and found what someone else has said and are using other people's words to justify their own emotions.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2016-08-23 at 08:00 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    --snip--
    What part of two months before the game released they said X,Y,Z was in the game but at release it wasn't. That is deliberately lying to your fan base. NOTHING in game development changes so much within 60day's of its release.

I look back through this thread, and I see none of the people who are whining about "lies" were talking about this game and the dev "promises" before all of this. It's as if they did not know about any of this before hand, then went to reddit and found what someone else has said and are using other people's words to justify their own emotions.
    Then you didn't look hard enough because people was pointing shit out day 1 and day 0 (When that guy bought the leaked copy).

Blindly defend Hello Games all you wish, but its a fact they deliberately lied to there fanbase.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mistakes were on the part of the PR department. This is why major developers usually never get into specifics during pre-release interviews. You find out a feature was cut after release? Shame, that would have been cool. Told a feature would be in the game but turns out it didn't make it? THEY LIED! This happens all the time, only perspective is different since they didn't keep secrets.

Anyway, removed features or no, the game we got can easily be GotY 2016. Stop complaining, go play something else. Leave this thread to those of us who are smart enough to enjoy the game we got instead of bitching about the game we didn't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    The mistakes were on the part of the PR department. This is why major developers usually never get into specifics during pre-release interviews. You find out a feature was cut after release? Shame, that would have been cool. Told a feature would be in the game but turns out it didn't make it? THEY LIED! This happens all the time, only perspective is different since they didn't keep secrets.

Anyway, removed features or no, the game we got can easily be GotY 2016. Stop complaining, go play something else. Leave this thread to those of us who are smart enough to enjoy the game we got instead of bitching about the game we didn't get.
    This thread isn't for just those who like and enjoy the game sorry. This thread is here for all those who wish to talk about the game good or bad. Don't want to read it start putting people on ignore or leave the thread.

The mistakes were on the part of the PR department.
    By PR department do you mean the main developer Sean Murray, Since he was the one who kept saying what was in the game?

Does he deserve death threats??? No its a fucken video game. But him and Hello Games deserves every inch of backlash they receive over lying to there fan base.

They should have diled back the BS a long time ago and yet they didn't.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-08-23 at 08:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your telling me that 60 days before a game releases things changed enough to gut 90% of the game?????????????
    90% of the game was not gutted. The game only went gold master about 30 days prior to launch, was delayed from its original launch, and had a significant day one patch. It also had a small dev time. Like I said you've had enough experience with WoW to understand that delays, cuts, and changes happen. And if a large company like blizzard can change, cut, or go back on what they say then why should Hello Games be held to a different standard?

Does it suck that it happens? Yep. Does it happen far more then it should in the industry? Sure. Is it that big of a deal in the end? No not really. NMS is still a good game and still delivers on the core of what it promised.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    90% of the game was not gutted.
    .....Then clearly have not watched AJ's video,read the reddit post or watch anything else related to the cut content.

Fact: Game is missing 90% of the shit they said would be in it just a couple months before its release. This isn't like how blizzard said (A YEAR) before WOD came out that X,Y,Z isn't there. This is 60days before its release.

No the game does NOT deliver on the core of what was promised and that is the problem. When people stop defending this shit it will stop happening.

Watch AJ's review like the last half of it, go read up on it because its clear you don't have a clue.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-08-23 at 08:29 PM.