Thread: No Man's Sky

Page 1 of 196
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool No Man's Sky

Ok, I don't know much about megathreads, but when I saw this game revealed at the VGX my jaw nearly hit the floor.

EDIT: FOUND IT! Here is a link to the interview with the developer, too. 8)
    http://www.spike.com/video-collectio...hlights/x8pp1o

I'm very old, and way back in the day I played a little game called Elite for an obscene number of hours, and No Man's Sky is what I know I, and probably everyone that played Elite, wanted that game to be. During the interview the dev commented that they're literally just a handful of guys working together using their own money that they've made off of their only other game, which the lead guy sold his house to pay for. They did mention that they were going to talk with one of the other devs at the VGX about how to do a kickstarter correctly, and if they do I'll be giving them my money... and offering my services as a tester.

I want to play this game!
    Last edited by Callous1970; 2013-12-10 at 02:37 PM.
    If a fat kid falls in the forrest and no one is around do the trees laugh?
    You're an insignificant speck of a person sitting on an insignificant speck of a world orbiting an insignificant speck of a star in an insignificant speck of a galaxy. Literally, no one cares what you think.

I was thinking of making a thread for this after reading about it on Kotaku. Judging from the trailer alone, It looks really fun. I didn't care to watch VGX, so I missed out on anything they would have had to say about it.
    It seems suddenly that there are a bunch of Space fighter / sandbox / sim shooters cropping up. I wonder what's up with that? Anyways, I have no problem with it in the least! Let them come, I'm excited to try them all out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Libram, I think a part of why there are so many space sims getting made now is that its been a good while since the genre was popular, and that the advances in processor power, memory, and graphics has reached a point where the devs finally have the tools to make the games that people like me have always dreamed of playing. Maybe all of these devs were kids in the early 90's and they played and loved these games, too, and now that they're adults working in the industry they've decided "Hey, you know what I miss playing? I want to make Elite with the tools we have today!" And now we're getting them. I'm excited to try them all out, too. 8)
    You're an insignificant speck of a person sitting on an insignificant speck of a world orbiting an insignificant speck of a star in an insignificant speck of a galaxy. Literally, no one cares what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Callous1970 View Post
    Maybe all of these devs were kids in the early 90's and they played and loved these games, too, and now that they're adults working in the industry they've decided "Hey, you know what I miss playing? I want to make Elite with the tools we have today!" And now we're getting them. I'm excited to try them all out, too. 8)
    I remembering imagining of space sim / fighter games back in my junior high years that you could play online with hundreds of other people.
    You could do anything and go everywhere you set your eyes on. Unfortunately it wasn't a reality. Perhaps there were some games back then that came close, but I was a stupid kid that couldn't even figure out a computer, much less the VCR. All I had was a GB color and PS1. But now, it's all becoming a reality.
    Too bad I won't have as much free time with these classes and work. :/
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-12-10 at 05:35 AM.

My jimmies remain unrustled.

Looks good, but I generally dislike these type of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    My jimmies remain unrustled.

Looks good, but I generally dislike these type of games.
    Hmm, what If I sat you down to a three 1080p 40" monitor (well I think they're TV's..) setup, a Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Joystick (which I currently need), and a surround sound speaker system? Lets toss in one of those vibrating haptic feedback chairs while we're at it!
    Would you like it then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    I remembering imagining of space sim / fighter games back in my junior high years that you could play online with hundreds of other people.
    You could do anything and go everywhere you set your eyes on. Unfortunately it wasn't a reality. Perhaps there were some games back then that came close, but I was a stupid kid that couldn't even figure out a computer, much less the VCR. All I had was a GB color and PS1. But now, it's all becoming a reality.
    Too bad I won't have as much free time with these classes and work. :/
    Well, if you want to play a space game with 1,000's of others try EVE Online. You literally can do anything you want in that game, although it lacks the procedurally generated worlds. It's still pretty fun to be a space pirate! Just be ready to accept the fact that when you lose your ship in a fight its gone.

GB and PS1. LOL. So young. I had the original Pong! home game when it was brand new. That's all the "console" played, and it was freak'n amazing that you could actually control what you saw on your TV! When the Atari 2600 came out and you could play more than one game, in color, that blew our minds! LOL! If only we knew back then what we know now.

Quote Originally Posted by Callous1970 View Post
    GB and PS1. LOL. So young. I had the original Pong! home game when it was brand new. That's all the "console" played, and it was freak'n amazing that you could actually control what you saw on your TV! When the Atari 2600 came out and you could play more than one game, in color, that blew our minds! LOL! If only we knew back then what we know now.
    You could qualify for my dad then.
    Didn't there used to be some plastic screen overlays for those games? And meanwhile, I stressed out over the batteries going out on my attachable light just so I could see the screen of my GB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, what If I sat you down to a three 1080p 40" monitor (well I think they're TV's..) setup, a Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Joystick (which I currently need), and a surround sound speaker system? Lets toss in one of those vibrating haptic feedback chairs while we're at it!
    Would you like it then?
    Dunno about Eyechewer, but I'd marry you, and be willing to pay a hypnotist to make it happen.

This looks fun, so I'll definitely throw some money at their possible Kickstarter^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Dunno about Eyechewer, but I'd marry you, and be willing to pay a hypnotist to make it happen.

This looks fun, so I'll definitely throw some money at their possible Kickstarter^^
    All I need is the chair and the joy stick! Just need some money.
    Now where in the world would I find one of those chairs? I've seen them around before, and it looks pretty cool. They're not like the cheap plastic kind you would find in an arcade, but more of a quality production.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I need is the chair and the joy stick! Just need some money.
    Now where in the world would I find one of those chairs? I've seen them around before, and it looks pretty cool. They're not like the cheap plastic kind you would find in an arcade, but more of a quality production.
    I'd love to help you, but I only know about the concept of those chairs because of the (awesome) sci-fi book Ready Player One. Happy hunting!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

This game looks amazing but it would be so much better with multi-player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    They interviewed the lead dev, and he said that this would be a persistent universe that you would play in with other players. So, yes, it'll have multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    IIRC you can play with up to 3 other players (4 total).

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only imagine how amazing this game is, it's like I saw all of dreams come true in an instant.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like some1 mixed x-3 and elder scrools .
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I added this link to the original post. It's the interview with the dev discussing the game and their vision for it.

http://www.spike.com/video-collectio...hlights/x8pp1o

Soo how will this compare to star citicen, which will probably be the next big thing in tha genre?
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Deleted
    Looks pretty cool, could be interesting

Two new clips on the game from Sony E3.