Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    so there is no way of moving things around in your inventory right? you can just transfer from one to another?
    It should tell you what button to hold when you mouse over it, if it works like it does ps4.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    That animal interaction/food chain is a joke compared to what was done in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Not sure if supposed to be impressed or not, it looked like one of those old school low budget godzilla movies, only without any actual destruction or death.
    So now you require it to be "impressive" rather then existing in the game. This is the problem with people who hate on the game they are always changing the goal posts. You asked for proof of Dinosaurs attacking other Dinosaurs. I provided it though to be fair only one might have been a dinosaur. You never said you wanted to be impressed you just said you wanted Video proof of it being possible in the game.

Everyone in this thread already understands that you are not impressed with the game in the slightest. We are just waiting for you to fully come to that realization so you don't have to waste your time on a game that is wholly unimpressive.

- - - Updated - - -

so there is no way of moving things around in your inventory right? you can just transfer from one to another?
    The default is left click. Only some stuff can be moved like that but it will show up on the tool tip if it can. Its called "Move and Stack".
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    You can move materials and looted items, but manufactured stuff needs to be disassembled and rebuilt. And the baseline stuff, like the mining beam or hyperdrive, can't be moved/rebuilt.

Deleted
    this hostile planet is pretty good, plenty of these graviton ball things, plenty of hostile sentrys to kill, and im right near a trade post

sentries dont really provide any sort of challenge, but drop expensive stuff, so all good!

I think people said you couldn't leave waypoints for things on planets right? Makes going back to specific hubs for selling really annoying. Honestly baffled that they don't have a planet map with markers of stuff you discover, honestly.

And I've been trying that transmission tower thing for ships, but still haven't found any. Strange. Although the 23slot ship to buy only costs like 1mil, so I'll do that to leapfrog from the starter ship for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I think people said you couldn't leave waypoints for things on planets right? Makes going back to specific hubs for selling really annoying. Honestly baffled that they don't have a planet map with markers of stuff you discover, honestly.
    They functionally have that map, you just can't SEE it. That's what the various outposts and beacons are for; to reveal those locations, one by one.

There's no real point to KEEPING them marked, because in the case of outposts, once you've cleared them, they're done, and in the case of resources, you're generally clearing them out, so no point returning, AND they're all over the planet, so you can jump in pretty much anywhere else and find the same stuff.

And I've been trying that transmission tower thing for ships, but still haven't found any. Strange. Although the 23slot ship to buy only costs like 1mil, so I'll do that to leapfrog from the starter ship for now.
    Find orange beacons, craft Bypass Chips, use them, look for "transmissions". You'll get either a transmission tower, an observatory, or a beacon. You want the first, obviously. You can keep re-using the beacon till you get what you want; it just keeps throwing more markers up. Needs a bypass chip every time, but those are dirt cheap to make off mats that are everywhere.

Alternatively, you can start to identify outposts by their appearance. Transmission towers all have a significantly high tower attached to their roof. Observatories have a dish or globe beacon, depending on race. Etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    So yeah, I'm now on a planet (moon actually) that's lush with grass everywhere and tons of winding cave systems. In the caves are those pearl items that are worth a small fortune everywhere. On the surface there's tons of wildlife animals, many aggressive big ones. I watch some come crashing through trees to attack the smaller ones. Of course the attack animations look a bit awkward, but it's hectic. Then they turn to attack me, so I defend myself and some of the sentinels come out in response to me killing wildlife. I eventually ticked off the sentinels to level 4 alert, and a giant sentinel that looked like an imperial walker from star wars appeared and started blasting me. Luckily I have my multitool fully upgraded with a strong boltcaster, and I have strong shields, so I was able to take it down.

So yeah, there's totally zero action in this game, and it's noooooooooooooooooothing like any of the trailers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They functionally have that map, you just can't SEE it. That's what the various outposts and beacons are for; to reveal those locations, one by one.

There's no real point to KEEPING them marked, because in the case of outposts, once you've cleared them, they're done, and in the case of resources, you're generally clearing them out, so no point returning, AND they're all over the planet, so you can jump in pretty much anywhere else and find the same stuff.

Find orange beacons, craft Bypass Chips, use them, look for "transmissions". You'll get either a transmission tower, an observatory, or a beacon. You want the first, obviously. You can keep re-using the beacon till you get what you want; it just keeps throwing more markers up. Needs a bypass chip every time, but those are dirt cheap to make off mats that are everywhere.

Alternatively, you can start to identify outposts by their appearance. Transmission towers all have a significantly high tower attached to their roof. Observatories have a dish or globe beacon, depending on race. Etc.
    I do think we should be able to keep certain waypoints marked, for instance if I find a terminal where I can sell items, I want to be able to mark it so I can go out and mine that giant block of emeril or gold then go back and sell it all.

There also needs to be the option to remove signals you've discovered, because having a ton of places you DON'T want to visit marked gets super annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

So I have a couple of tricks and tips for people who may not know,

One way to get around the surface really fast "on foot", start sprinting, use your melee (Q) and then IMMEDIATELY hit and hold your jet pack jump button (Space). Your jet pack uses the speed you were currently going at when you lifted off, and melee is a really fast forward move. You will rocket around like the rocketeer. If you have fully upgraded jet pack, you can go extremely far very fast.

Another tip, go to space stations and find out what they're paying double for. The galactic market interfaces. The items will have stars next to them. Once you find one with a good number of items starred, go out to the ships coming and going from the space station and buy those items (if they're not starred) from the traders then go back and sell them to the galactic market for big profit. This can get you some quick money very early.

To boost your personal inventory early in the game, find one of those orange beacons and do a search for shelter. Go to any and all drop pods, each drop pod will increase your inventory space by 1, but cost 10k more per upgrade. You'll need about 6 million in total to upgrade your inventory to 48 slots.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    So yeah, I'm now on a planet (moon actually) that's lush with grass everywhere and tons of winding cave systems. In the caves are those pearl items that are worth a small fortune everywhere. On the surface there's tons of wildlife animals, many aggressive big ones. I watch some come crashing through trees to attack the smaller ones. Of course the attack animations look a bit awkward, but it's hectic. Then they turn to attack me, so I defend myself and some of the sentinels come out in response to me killing wildlife. I eventually ticked off the sentinels to level 4 alert, and a giant sentinel that looked like an imperial walker from star wars appeared and started blasting me. Luckily I have my multitool fully upgraded with a strong boltcaster, and I have strong shields, so I was able to take it down.

So yeah, there's totally zero action in this game, and it's noooooooooooooooooothing like any of the trailers.
    If only you didn't have to go through 100 planets of shooting a beam at a rock, rinse repeat to find that one fun planet.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But why? Why don't you have to prove it doesn't exist when there is no reason to believe that it doesn't exist given the possibilities of procedural generation. All it comes down to is that you are placing the burden of proof on someone else because you don't feel like you should have to prove your own claim. You can certainly prove a negative if you can prove a positive.
    He'd have to explore every planet to prove it's a negative, and that isn't possible for 1 person from what they've said (although I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't true either based on all the other things they've lied about).
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    If only you didn't have to go through 100 planets of shooting a beam at a rock, rinse repeat to find that one fun planet.
    Took me like 5 planets in 4 systems to get what I needed and now that I know what to look for, most planets I go to are lush. It's not even blasting rocks, it's a lot of exploring to find the plans you need and a better ship. And the only reason it took me so many systems was that my first few planets were just unlucky. Most people are able to cap out their stuff in their very first system. The ones making these ridiculous claims about slogging through tons and tons of stuff are the people who played for an hour then got their refund and are now bitterly badmouthing the game.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2016-08-19 at 09:46 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I have to say.... I am a developer for many years, been playing games for many years, the impression I've got is that the game feels like a concept of an idea, instead of a full game. It's a skeleton of the idea, bare bones with technical demos of crafting, gathering/mining and fighting. Normally in normal company No Man's Sky would be an alpha or at least early beta of the product. It feels like an prototype with production textures and models...
    Oh well. Again, I am 100% happy that I've got the game for free (no piracy).

And...HUGE NEWS! the saddest part is that the devs are now thinking about the paid addons/expansions...wtf.... Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-creator-walks-back-no-paid-dlc-statement/ they've really failed with this statement. I am dissapointed. Eh. I wonder If I could make a better game by myself given the 2 years of free time in the future, hmm, it's not that hard if you have money for models, textures and animation artists (besides servers it's the highest cost tbh).

I am glad that Steam has an return policy and soo sad that PS4 has none :P
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-08-19 at 09:47 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    I have to say.... I am a developer for many years
    Oh please, no one is gonna buy that. Especially real developers.

Just look at these things you said:
    It's a skeleton of the idea, bare bones with technical demos of crafting, gathering/mining and fighting.
    Normally in normal company No Man's Sky would be an alpha or at least early beta of the product.
    It feels like an prototype with production textures and models...
    I wonder If I could make a better game by myself given the 2 years of free time in the future
    You have no idea what technical demo is
    You have no idea what alpha and beta are
    You don't know what a prototype is
    You fail to realize that you are unable to make such a game by yourself in 2 years time

Developer my ass.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Developer my ass.
    People get to sophomore year in programming and suddenly think they're developers. :P

The game is similar to a lot of other free exploration games, except that there is no hand holding, no carrot on a stick. You have to create your own adventure and you have to figure things out on your own. In Fallout you're pretty much lead on a leash to the eventual open world building and told how to do it via the story line and subsequent quests. In NMS you have to figure out how to do it on your own. There is no hand holding, and there is no instant gratification. Many people have been successful and maxed out their inventory, multi tool, and ship all within their first system or two.

Others are like "aw man, there's nothing to hold my hand or show me how to play this game? No system to lead me along a set path before setting me loose in a semi-open world? Game sux!"

It comes down to personal preference and taste. Some people have a short attention span, and that's not a bad thing. That's perfectly ok. People who enjoy skinner box MMO's and games like candy crush for that instant gratification won't like NMS. They wander around on their starter planet for awhile with no clear goal, nobody telling them what they have to do, they get frustrated, log out, and start bad mouthing about how bad the game is. They just don't realize, the game isn't their taste. They don't have the patience or the ability to create their own adventure, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks.

NMS reminds me of games I used to play on my older computers, my windows 3.1 games where figuring out a certain room's puzzle in a labyrinth could take me hours. There was no internet to tell me how to do it, no hand holding, simply "Here, figure this out".

While NMS is certainly not a demo or shell of a game, it certainly could use a lot more features.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    I find plenty of "fun planets". Maybe try upgrading your warp drive so you can hit green/blue stars? Get deeper into the galaxy, closer to the center?

And yes, a lot of gameplay boils down to "shoot a beam at a rock". A lot of gameplay sounds dumb when you boil it down. Modern shooters are "shoot bullets at doods". Mario games are "jump around on stuff". That's not really an argument.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Press buttons" gameplay - rinse and repeat.

Every game ever.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Well the patch hasn't fixed some of the major bugs for me:

-Suddenly shooting off into space when you take off
    -Slow turning when you exit a ship
    -Janky sprint animations for a while after you first log into the game

Still, it hasn't crashed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I find plenty of "fun planets". Maybe try upgrading your warp drive so you can hit green/blue stars? Get deeper into the galaxy, closer to the center?

And yes, a lot of gameplay boils down to "shoot a beam at a rock". A lot of gameplay sounds dumb when you boil it down. Modern shooters are "shoot bullets at doods". Mario games are "jump around on stuff". That's not really an argument.
    Yeah you can boil it down, but the shooting a beam at a rock in this case seems to get old pretty quick. Maybe the range is so large that some people are getting awesome planets and some people are getting nothing but lame ones? Maybe the green/blue ones take too long to get to for most people. It's a farming game, and those are fun to some people but others expected a lot more (fault of the devs+way too much hype).

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The ones making these ridiculous claims about slogging through tons and tons of stuff are the people who played for an hour then got their refund and are now bitterly badmouthing the game.
    You can apply my response to Endus to the rest of your post. This part is silly though, there are lots of legit reasons to dislike the game, mostly because the devs lied about a bunch of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    - Taking off and going straight into outer-atmosphere is starting to piss me off.
    - After random periods of gameplay the game crawls to a halt and FPS drops to ~2fps. I have to shuffle to a save node, then re-boot the game (for a time).
    - Interaction animations causing loss of control take wayyy too long. Especially when a drone starts attacking you right after you interact with, say, a Monolith.

There is a steep learning curve with this game - I found a crashed ship that was way better. Accepted the change then realised I needed Zinc to get it operational. I ended up in a situation where I'd walked for ~5hrs, had multiple saves and could not locate my old ship and no fucking zinc. After the 6th hour I located a Galactic trade terminal and bought some! There was literally no other way around this and wish I'd known!

Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    There is a steep learning curve with this game - I found a crashed ship that was way better. Accepted the change then realised I needed Zinc to get it operational. I ended up in a situation where I'd walked for ~5hrs, had multiple saves and could not locate my old ship and no fucking zinc. After the 6th hour I located a Galactic trade terminal and bought some! There was literally no other way around this and wish I'd known!
    Normally you'd be able to call your old ship using the Bypass Chips and the beacons at just about every building grouping.

But yeah, if you're hours from it and switch to a new one? Ouch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    - Taking off and going straight into outer-atmosphere is starting to piss me off.
    - After random periods of gameplay the game crawls to a halt and FPS drops to ~2fps. I have to shuffle to a save node, then re-boot the game (for a time).
    - Interaction animations causing loss of control take wayyy too long. Especially when a drone starts attacking you right after you interact with, say, a Monolith.

im also getting those random periods of fps drops, sometimes its fine then i get in my ship and my game turns into a slideshow, only way to fix is to exit and reload the game!

i did the same thing with a new ship haha, took the new one, didnt check if i had the materials to fix everything, after about 50mins of walking around i managed to gather the zinc i needed, but didnt have enough stuff to repair my weapons, but at least i could take off. I take off for the nearest space station and get attacked by pirates mid speed boost between planet and space station, at this point im roughly an hour away at normal speed from the planet or the space station, and i cant speed boost because space pirates on me, and i cant fight them off because no weapon. i had to fly at a stupidly low speed for around 15mins before the pirates got bored and let me speed boost to the space station!

another thing that annoys me is how long things like "milestone reached" stay on your screen, removing your HUD, really really annoying when your'e under attack or trying to do anything and "milestone reached" removes your hud for ages, same as when you walk into a room with an alien, and the camera pans to the alien, removes your hud and doesnt let you press tab, thats really annoying me.

also flying needs a complete overhaul imo, the controls feel so weird, manoeuvring just feels clunky and awkward, there need to be ships with side thrusters so that A and D can turn you around instead of just making you spin, flying is my least favourite part so far, flying from planet to planet is bearable, but flying from point A to B on a planet just sucks, you cant look around without turning the whole ship, cant see whats below you for when you're landing, imo these things should be reworked, would make flying your spaceship much less of a chore.
    Last edited by mmocef2fdcc82b; 2016-08-20 at 02:28 AM.

And...HUGE NEWS! the saddest part is that the devs are now thinking about the paid addons/expansions...wtf.... Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-creator-walks-back-no-paid-dlc-statement/ they've really failed with this statement.
    The only sad part about this is how many people are freaking out about what is probably the least committed response to the idea of paid DLC.

Bunch of ya'll are treating it like it's an announcement of paid DLC.

You know what he was actually saying? Something along the lines of if they really wanted to do a feature, and just couldn't find a way to add it to the game in such a way that didn't require an additional budget beyond what they currently have (as a supposed game developer, you should know all about budget constraints and how that can impact development, but like others I think you're lying out your ass about being a developer), that they might have to look at doing it as a paid DLC or expansion option, but that doing that isn't the current plan.

In other, other words, it's "We might have to in the future, but right now we don't plan on it."

And he's getting raked over the coals like he just announced Day One DLC Procedural Horse Armor for $5.

- - - Updated - - -

also flying needs a complete overhaul imo, the controls feel so weird, manoeuvring just feels clunky and awkward, there need to be ships with side thrusters so that A and D can turn you around instead of just making you spin, flying is my least favourite part so far, flying from planet to planet is bearable, but flying from point A to B on a planet just sucks, you cant look around without turning the whole ship, cant see whats below you for when you're landing, imo these things should be reworked, would make flying your spaceship much less of a chore.
    It definitely needs it for PC - it's clearly designed for a controller, and works well enough there (though the no crashing/no going below a certain altitude and the no hovering in place even in space has me scratching my head) in terms of using the sticks, R1/L1 and R2/L2.