Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Soloing from Vanilla to Cata

Hello there,

i really like to solo old content to get transmog gear/pets/mounts etc... I've been looking for some guides for the recent expansions (Wotlk, Cata). The only are for content that i allready soloed.

Does anyone know where to find good guides for ICC(h)/whole Cata? Or - perhaps - you know some tactics of your own, i would be pleased if you post them here

10+ Year Old Account
    I belive elitist jerks have a pretty big forum thread about this.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    From personal experience, I would advise not attempting Cata raids by yourself (even 4.0 ones like BoT, and definitely NOT Sinestra). The dungeons however, can be done solo, possibly even the 4.1 Heroic one that gets you that Amani Warbear (ZG? or ZA?).

Everything Vanilla should be easy pickings. Few TBC content may pose a problem, but doubtful if you have the right gear. WOTLK is a different story...

ICC may cause problems. Marrowgar did at first, but if your pet can destroy the bone spike before you die, then you'll pass. Gunship may cause problems due to the apparent need for 2+ players. I cannot advise beyond that because I've not been that far.

Ulduar is where things get nasty even for us post-5.4 Level 90s. For the first boss - that vehicle tank thing, I recommend going after ALL towers to weaken it considerably. You'll down it much easier. The other bosses up to Thorim (the one with the tricky mechanic) shouldn't pose a problem. The "three-part" boss (Mimiron?) might be problematic (seems to have a mechanic like the Fallen Protectors), but if your DPS is excellent, you might just get by. Yogg-Saron may be difficult, so definitely save as many watchers as you can (even Thorim if possible). Once you can get inside the thing, down all the "false dragonspawn" and then go for the thing's brain. Should be easy after that.

Algalon...can't say anything here. The quest is quite long, and the one time I got to face the boss via a party, the floor disappeared and I died (but I still got loot and the acheev).

Blueeyed, post a link to your Hunter's profile here. The forum can better advise you on what to do.

Good luck, fellow Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by ShasVa View Post
    ICC may cause problems. Marrowgar did at first, but if your pet can destroy the bone spike before you die, then you'll pass. Gunship may cause problems due to the apparent need for 2+ players. I cannot advise beyond that because I've not been that far.
    You can bypass the Bone Spike mechanic entirely by taunting every time he casts it. Dreamwalker, on the other hand... good luck with that one!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musca View Post
    You can bypass the Bone Spike mechanic entirely by taunting every time he casts it. Dreamwalker, on the other hand... good luck with that one!
    Bandages 10char lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I have videos on my channel of pretty much everything in Wrath, aside from 25-man Ulduar, 25-man ToC, 10H/25-man ICC, and 25-man RS. As far as Cataclysm goes, Tot4W isn't possible, and Magmaw & Halfus hit far too hard. With high-end gear though, you could probably burn through those two that I mentioned, as well as continue on.

Here's the playlist, if you're interested.
    Last edited by Cinnamohn; 2013-12-10 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Musca View Post
    Dreamwalker is possible with 3 or more spirit beasts :P

Deleted
    With a few exceptions here and there, everything up to 25 man heroic Wrath can be done by just sending your pet in and shooting the boss in the face. Trial of the Crusader 25 heroic is quite difficult however.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    As far as Cataclysm goes, Tot4W isn't possible, and Magmaw & Halfus hit far too hard. With high-end gear though, you could probably burn through those two that I mentioned, as well as continue on.
    Throne actually isn't that hard with the right setup, although I can't remember what the key was to beating the fight anymore. I believe it was related to killing the wind boss first with all cooldowns and hoping you get Thrill of the Hunt procs on the plant boss which you kill last. If you look around you should be able to find the tactic somewhere. I've gotten my mount off the first kill so I stopped after 2 clears.

Halfus is annoying but do-able as well. You just need to use a ferocity pet (for heart of the pheonix) and kite him around yourself for as long as you can manage after your pet dies, and then feign death so your pet can tank him again for the remainder of the fight.

Magmaw has been done before with some pet switching while rotating cooldowns, but I've never bothered with that myself. No reason to do Blackwing Descent really.
    Last edited by mmoc973e6c390d; 2013-12-10 at 12:26 PM.

Deleted
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...pershot/simple

Thats my hunter

Thanks for all information so far. Beside that, what is the best talent/spec-build for soloing?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueeyed View Post
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...pershot/simple

Thats my hunter

Thanks for all information so far. Beside that, what is the best talent/spec-build for soloing?
    It's really dependent on the encounter; generally I run BM for the Spirit beast + Spirit Bond talented; Animal Bond glyphed etc; to get the most healing when I am first trying out an encounter. You can run survival though as well if the encounter isn't fairly taxing on overall unavoidable damage taken.

The thread on elitist jerks "Solo'ing for fun and profit" is a pretty well written thread; a lot more is possible to solo than people realize in high level gear/certain setups. Durendil has some pretty well-detailed videos on how to solo a lot of the cataclysm encounters; I'm really hesitant these days to say anything that is Cataclysm or before is impossible with current gear (with a few exceptions; Ultraxion, etc.) I've tried just about every encounter in T11 - T13 10 - 25 normal/heroic or some combination of the two and not had any issues.
    Last edited by Shoot-; 2013-12-10 at 03:05 PM.

I do normal Firelands. Rhyolith is kind of a pain in the ass because I never really steered before when it was current, but I can solo Beth'tilac, Alys, and Shannox fairly easily...though Shannox involves keeping the dogs up and using your pet to break Facerage.

I had two achievements left to get my purple fire hawk, Bucket List (the Shannox one) and Death From Above (the Beth'tilac one). I ended up soloing them last week at ilvl 544. With decent gear, Beth'tilac can just be zerged up top, you'll only get one massive destruction or w/e it's called, just deter through it, and then kill her.

Alys you just gotta know how to go through rings. Might as well dismiss the pet for this one and go SV.

I never do Baleroc/MD/Rag, so I don't know how those fights go solo. I imagine Baleroc is fairly easy unless his devestating hits are percentage based? IDK. Majordomo should also be easy though you'll only get cat phase iirc, so lots of running around? Rag I could see being a pain in the ass to kill all the Sons on a transition, but a bit of RNG and a good binding shot should do wonders.

Edit: I almost always go BM with a tenacity spec because you need the pet survival more than the DPS, and KC still hits like a truck in tenacity. I talent into spirit bond, and glyph into animal bond, misdirection, and mending. Be careful though, Mending puts pretty intense healing threat on you.

As many have said, you can basicly solo everything from Vanilla and up to around Cata / MoP. I've only tried solo'ing some in DS though.

There's a few fights which might pose as a problem for you when you start out. I'll write down the ones I personally had a trouble with at first.

I only solo as Survival with a wolf pet in ferocity spec. I always use Spirit Bond talent.

LK25 HC: P1 is the hardest, aslong as you remain above 90% hp for Infest, it'll be easy enough for you, depending on your gear level, this fight isn't a dpsrace anymore.

Thorim: Takes some time to figure out how to bug it and reset it before pulling it again, once you've learned that in a few tries, the hardest part comes, without perfect timing Thorim will own you everytime.

Yogg25+0 Lights: Was made a lot easier a few weeks ago. Now you gain 100 Sanity after each phase and after each portal you enter, although you should only have to enter 1 portal. What have to make sure about here, is to interrupt Black Plague from Corruption tentacles, and make sure you kill Crusher tentacles as they reduce your dmg done by about 10% or so for each tentacle. Try to finish off all tentacles before you enter the portal into Yogg's brain. Just do normal rotation on the brain, when it reaches around 20-30% hp you get thrown out automatically, now you have to burst down the boss with cd's before you get overrun. I typically send em' onto my pet with glyphed MD and position the pet away from Yogg, make sure to use Cower for the reduced dmg taken.

Conclave10: The countless random resets this encounter does, will make you crazy in no time. Typically you'll want to start on either Rohash or Anshall (Wind & Healing), cause they are the most annoying ones. When the encounter starts there's several seconds before the boss' aura's kick in, meaning you can get several cast abilities off before you get the 500% decrease in casting speed. Healing pots & Healthstones are nice for this encounter. The rotation I find best is; Anshal -> Nezir -> Rohash.

Ultraxion10: I don't know... His AoE rapes both you and your pet. 2 manable, but hard to solo as a hunter. Though I know locks are capable of soloing it, if you have a warlock alt maybe.

How easy are the BT/SWP bosses for those two bows?
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    How easy are the BT/SWP bosses for those two bows?
    I literally facetank them with just the healing from Spirit Bond. Super easy. The only remotely tough part is the Flames on Illidan because their attack is % based, not absolute, so save your cooldowns for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    I literally facetank them with just the healing from Spirit Bond. Super easy. The only remotely tough part is the Flames on Illidan because their attack is % based, not absolute, so save your cooldowns for them.
    And getting through the skull boss? RoS?
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

"The Skull Boss" who exactly do you mean? Gorefiend? Just burn all your cooldowns on him and he goes down before you get ghosted. I've solo'd every single boss in BT with absolutely 0 problems. If you keep aggro on Naj'entus he won't spine you (although I've always killed him before he spines anyway), and RoS is easy, just don't go so hard in phase 2 that the reflect damage outpaces your self healing from Spirit Bond.

He means reliquary of souls, the big floaty thing. I don't recall any real problems on that boss, tbh. Aura of Suffering doesn't do anything to us since we use focus, not mana, and our pet is tanking. On aura of desire, just slow down DPS til spirit bond heals you back up. Aura of anger, just burn through it.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    He means reliquary of souls, the big floaty thing. I don't recall any real problems on that boss, tbh. Aura of Suffering doesn't do anything to us since we use focus, not mana, and our pet is tanking. On aura of desire, just slow down DPS til spirit bond heals you back up. Aura of anger, just burn through it.
    I never really thought of RoS as a "skull," it always made me think of a giant tripartite baby head to be honest.

Reliquary of Souls was "fixed" several patches ago, you no longer have to ooLoS it and do the odd pet tanking spot while hiding. The interval inbetween the disorient balls (w/e they're called) was increased, so you no longer get chain CC'd.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I do normal Firelands. Rhyolith is kind of a pain in the ass because I never really steered before when it was current, but I can solo Beth'tilac, Alys, and Shannox fairly easily...though Shannox involves keeping the dogs up and using your pet to break Facerage.
    Rhyolith is pretty easy, just go full DEEPS on one leg and let him walk in a tight circle. You don't really even need to steer him because you'll have more than enough damage to beat his enrage timer.

We steered back when it was current to move him over volcanos, which give him a damage taken debuff.