Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Sometimes i think: Im sure this is the Matrix and the Headcomputer dont want that peoply commit suicde because suicide = free himself from the matrix an this means another soldier for the revolution? ^^
    And every one who says: suicide is bad! - is an agent of the Matrix xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like everybody has the right to life everybody has the right to commit suicide and end there life. No other human should have the right to tell what some other human can and can't do to themself without hurting (physically) another person. Yes its not nice for the person / people left behind, yet its a choice for the person comitting suicide not for the people left behind to tell said person what to do with their life.

Being a person who has considered it in the past knowing how it feels i can only say that i find it selfish from people who do not understand it. People don't just go one day hey i want to comit suicide .. no its a choice they struggle with generally for a lengthy amount of time. Its a means out for them a way to end the daily suffering. There is nothing selfish about it if you have struggled with the pain / hurt so long.

10+ Year Old Account
    People say it's weak and cowardly, but it takes something major to overcome the most basic and powerful impulse just about all living beings on this earth have; self-preservation. If you aren't in a state of mind where you can overcome that impulse then how can you even begin to understand what that person is going through?
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yay for antidepressants; making the fact that nothing really matters matter a little less!

- - - Updated - - -

Yup! The preachers in this thread are people who have NEVER given this topic the slightest bit of thought outside of the ever popular "Its cowardly bro" yet, like clockwork, they're always dependably in these threads to let other people know how dumb their perspective is.

What a fascinating world we live in.
    Espcailly when its physical pain. I mean, both are valid reasons for suicide. But when I had that brain tumour(before it was diagnosed, and it nearly caused me to go in a coma). It was a lot more tempting to commit suicide than when I was depressed. When I was depressed I didn't even feel like going trough the effort to collect the stuff needed to commit painless* suicide. I just didn't feel like doing anything at all.

*As painless as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    not a valid reason
    Oh boy. Now a person must have a "valid reason" in the eyes of a stranger to decide how to deal with her own problems.

Fear in itself is a mechanism of protection. Having said that, I would like to ask you something to see if I can understand your way of seeing things: If a person has a problem, or problems, that are big enough to overwhelm the biggest mechanism of protection we have in us, then how is that not a valid reason? It takes something really BIG to be able to take down all the mechanisms of self-defense we all have.
    Last edited by Snorlaxi; 2013-12-10 at 03:06 PM.

I think it should be a more open subject and people walking around with these feelings shouldn't have to hear from around them that it is cowardice or something like that. That stigma keeps people quiet and not search for help.

I think suicide in case of mental illness is not needed in 95% (or a very high %) of the cases when people find help and get treatment. And for those 5% where treatment isn't helping (after deep consideration) there should be an option to end their life in a dignified way in stead of jumping in front of a train. Those 5% also include very old people who are pretty much confined to bed, have very little contact with others and basically are just waiting to die. If you are 90 and in a situation like that, who are we to say you can't die. Because we once were a christian society?

For people who are going to die soon and are in tremendous pain (for instance, last phase cancer patients) euthanasia should be possible as well. I mean, how honorable is it for a cancer patient who might have 2 more weeks on one of those morphine pumps completely in another world but constantly in pain to keep living. Just let them go.
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2013-12-10 at 03:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    Espcailly when its physical pain. I mean, both are valid reasons for suicide. But when I had that brain tumour(before it was diagnosed, and it nearly caused me to go in a coma). It was a lot more tempting to commit suicide than when I was depressed. When I was depressed I didn't even feel like going trough the effort to collect the stuff needed to commit painless* suicide. I just didn't feel like doing anything at all.

*As painless as possible.
    There's more than a few different types of depression, and the one you describe is one where getting better actually means you should be watched closer during that period. I linked this video a little while ago that explains depression;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc#t=1750

Skip past the first 9 minutes if you want to get right in to it. Don't be put off by the length either as you don't need to watch the whole thing. It goes in to medication and other stuff later on in the video, and that stuff isn't necessary if you just want to understand what depression actually is. If you believe you already do understand what depression is (you as in everyone reading this) then watch the video anyway, as it gave me new understanding and I've been suffering from depression for many years now.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

It makes me tired when I see stuff like 'it's the easy way out' , ' its the cowards way out'.

I'm over 45, and been in daily pain since 2007 due to illness - and there is nothing the medical community can do about it.

I have a wife, and no kids.

I'm not suicidal now, and I'm not planning on killing myself in the future...but when it comes down to it...it's not the government's life, it's not your life - it's mine, and only I decide on the quality of my! life.

Unlikely as it is, if I was to decide to cash out, it's a matter between me and my wife; and any else's opinion is worth precisely fu** all.

When you've lived some, and spent a long time in pain (physical or psychological), your opinion might (or not) be worth listening to, but only one! person has the final right to decide - me!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Not having a job and not being able to get one seems like as good a reason as any to kill yourself. If you don't have money you can't live and if you can't live then what's the point?
    This is a terrible point. People that can't find jobs? You can find a job. There are jobs out there. It takes a willingness to go out and find it. Anybody who sits at home getting government money complaining about not being able to find a job is a worthless POS. Go out and find a job. There are jobs to do, there always have been and always will be. Now it may not be your dream job, you may have to do things you don't want to do, but if you need money for yourself or your family then you do what it takes and stop making excuses for yourself. If you have to move, move, if you have to go sit at home depot with the spanish people, do it. Excuses are excuses. There's work out there, you have to find it.

TLDR

stop being lazy and go get yourself a job

Deleted
    The night is always darkest just before the dawn. Just because one's life has hit rock buttom, it's not a reason to quit. Going with it may open brighter skyes very soon.

Only people who are entitled to suicide are the dying and the suffering from physical ilnesses that can't be cured. I agree with euthanasia for the sick.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Explosions View Post
    This is a terrible point. People that can't find jobs? You can find a job. There are jobs out there. It takes a willingness to go out and find it. Anybody who sits at home getting government money complaining about not being able to find a job is a worthless POS. Go out and find a job. There are jobs to do, there always have been and always will be. Now it may not be your dream job, you may have to do things you don't want to do, but if you need money for yourself or your family then you do what it takes and stop making excuses for yourself. If you have to move, move, if you have to go sit at home depot with the spanish people, do it. Excuses are excuses. There's work out there, you have to find it.

TLDR

stop being lazy and go get yourself a job
    The Spaniards are fleeing Spain's economic crisis by working in US Home Depot? I hadn't heard anything about that. Couple of years ago we were all Mexican, now we are all Spanish hopefully within the century we will finally be acknowledged as Hispanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

The reason suicide is frowned upon is because slaves would kill themselves making the owners lose money/slaves and thus started the lie of cowardliness/selfish/hell for doing it. Makes perfect sense also thinking about it. Your slaves are killing themselves making your pyramid or fields or buildings not be built and costing you time and money so what's the best thing to do? Condemn the damned to be damned no matter what.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    There's more than a few different types of depression, and the one you describe is one where getting better actually means you should be watched closer during that period. I linked this video a little while ago that explains depression;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc#t=1750

Skip past the first 9 minutes if you want to get right in to it. Don't be put off by the length either as you don't need to watch the whole thing. It goes in to medication and other stuff later on in the video, and that stuff isn't necessary if you just want to understand what depression actually is. If you believe you already do understand what depression is (you as in everyone reading this) then watch the video anyway, as it gave me new understanding and I've been suffering from depression for many years now.
    The depression ended like 18 months ago, I got rid of what was causing it. So I don't think I should have any future problems with it.

I had a friend who basically lived with depression since his teenage years. I remember him telling me at one point - 'I'm simply not happy and that every day is a struggle'.

So yes, he ended up committing suicide, and it sucked for his family and friends, but I don't begrudge him one bit for doing so. I know he faced his despair and hopelessness with temerity, until the day came when it just became too unbearable. For that, I'm glad that he no longer had to struggle with his illness anymore.

I mean, we extend such compassion to animals by euthanizing and saving them from the ignominy of death when they're terminally ill or suffering. I don't get why it's so taboo to do the same for humans - be it whether they're suffering from a physical or mental illness.
    Last edited by Basmothh; 2013-12-10 at 03:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    An acquaintance (from my circle of friends) recently killed herself, I truly didn't see it coming. When we heard the news in school nearly everyone bursted into tears (regardless if they knew her or not), my initial thought was "good for her". Far as I'm concerned there should be a place you can go to where you say "I want to die", they then arrange a meeting with you and people close to you. If you don't change your mind after the meeting they'll help you get a clean, painless death. That way you're forced to share your reasoning, which might save you. Those close to you will also get some sort of closure and you won't have to worry about "will it hurt?" "what if I fail?".

Quote Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
    but once you are dead YOU get N O T H I N G from it!
    I think you completely misunderstand the point of suicide. I, like you, don't believe in any religion - therefore I don't worry about death at all. I know when I die it'll all be over, I simply won't care about anything as I'll cease to exist. So what if there's still experienced to be made, I won't care. I don't need to get anything from death, the simple fact that I'll no longer exist is reason enough. Only reason I don't consider myself suicidal is cause I don't want to inflict any pain to those close to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's an extremely selfish act. It's like saying "None of the rest of the people in my life who care about me are worth working out my issues." People who kill themselves don't care if you grieve, have to face life without a person special to you, or what the consequences of their no longer being here are to others (intentional or otherwise). They just want to take the easy way out and to hell with everybody else.

I think as the world becomes more introverted and keeps up its "all about ME" attitude, suicide will continue to rise.

I think people that are mentally ill should be prevented from killing themselves so that they can receive help. I think people that are mentally stable and able to understand their decision should be able to choose death if they want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many good things to experience in life. Can't do them when you're dead! Stay alive and work towards those good things!

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    I think it's an extremely selfish act.
    On the flip side, I think telling other people they can't choose to opt out of life because it'll make you sad is extremely selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    On the flip side, I think telling other people they can't choose to opt out of life because it'll make you sad is extremely selfish.
    He is trying to dictate what others should or should not do based on his own belief, and at the same time he is calling people selfish. I think I have never seen such hypocrisy in my life.