Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This isn't a bad idea and kinda harkens to Skyrim and other games where your abilities level you up so no area is really off limits or out-leveled.
    Yeah and IMHO it makes Skyrim suck.
    There should be areas out in the world that your freshly created character gets stomped. It makes the world dangerous and believable.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the "fill the bar 100x" timesink as much as the next guy, but I want areas in the world that not just feel, that ARE dangerous until my character and I as a player have gotten some kind of experience.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2013-12-11 at 12:31 AM.

IMO the problem is not levels.......the problem is instant gratification that players seem to demand to their own detriment. The leveling "curve" has become so flat that people do not get to stay in an area long enough to explore it or take advantage of its content.

We need MMO's to not become more of a grind, but make the leveling experience more fun and slow it down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    If you start a new character in that new system it will be like starting a Deathknight today. You will get your skills one after another doing certain quests. So you still visit areas and travel the land.
    But that is still having levels. You are just redefining levels into X period between new skills and the level cap as when you've received all of your skills. This doesn't really change anything as eventually every one will consume all of the content and only have the new stuff left as new.

Also gear would only be useful for a few levels but in this case we are talking about "content" levels. As you would eventually find better gear that would replace your current gear. And you would only keep that rare mob gear until X amount of time it takes to find the better gear. Unless you get rid of item levels and make all gear the same you would still have the same problems of gear being replaced.

This is the problem of any game with multiple years and multiple expansion. As long as you increase character power in some fashion you will always eventually have items, quests, patterns etc that become useless. Your suggestion still has players getting stronger with their gear.

So what happens to the gear I earned in the first 10 minutes compared to the gear I earned after playing a year? Won't one be way better then the other? And isn't that difference still a "level"?

- - - Updated - - -

No. Role playing is about playing a role while becoming more powerful.
    How do you become more powerful with out a "level"?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

IMO leveling is the best vehicle for telling the story in WoW, and as I play mainly for the story it's an integral part of the way I (and many others) play.

I don't think leveling is an outdated concept, many many games in the world today still use leveling

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    This 1-100 thing where you do a crappy tour of all the expansions, it is going to be pointless.

There has to be a better use for old content than that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I agree, they should get rid of exp and levels and make it a skill based game like UO. No I don't mean skill at playing the game, I mean skills like alchemy, archery, swordsmanship, lumberjacking etc. Was much more interesting when I had characters who were all 7x Grandmasters at various skills but no 2 were the exact same.
    Isn't that just splitting levels up though rather then getting rid of them? Instead of one level to represent your character, 1 million experience points. You have 3 levels representing your character Grandmaster A, B, C. When advertising your character you would still be giving your "level" in some fashion. You don't tell people you are level 0, you tell people you are a Grandmaster Blacksmith, Marksman, and tracker.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The reason leveling has gotten a bad wrap is because it's such a fucking grind these days it's unbelievable. Don't get me wrong I enjoy exploring the world and following quest-lines, but to never be in any kind of danger, to never have to worry at all about getting better gear or teaming up with people for group content out in the world (not instanced), lessens the experience by a large margin. Now WoW has never really been about a dangerous leveling process, but back in the beginning I was such an awful noob I actually had to make an effort. With the changes the last 6 years, the simplicity has gone above and beyond. The only requirement to level up without dying today is that your neck can support your head.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    There has to be a better use for old content than that.
    Why though? It is old content. You can still visit if you want at any time. You can go back and do things you missed at any time. Why does it always have to remain relevant content?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ballack View Post
    Now WoW has never really been about a dangerous leveling process, but back in the beginning I was such an awful noob I actually had to make an effort. With the changes the last 6 years, the simplicity has gone above and beyond. The only requirement to level up without dying today is that your neck can support your head. .
    How much of that though is a result of you no longer being a noob?

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Why though? It is old content. You can still visit if you want at any time. You can go back and do things you missed at any time. Why does it always have to remain relevant content?

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's content that Blizzard put a considerable amount of time and effort, and unless it's so far below the current quality (like old 1-60 and arguably 60-70 is) that it's horrible then it's something that Blizzard want new players to experience.

Let's face it, new players don't come into the game with the sole intention of smashing to max level ASAP and hitting up LFR, they want to get used to the game, explore the world and enjoy their character.

Would like for them to go the EQOA style when your at max lvl. In EQOA while lvl'ing you can set some or all and at max all XP earned goes towards earning points forgot the name they had for them. But after each point it would take more and more XP to earn another and these points could be spend on different things like Advanced Classes stat boosts etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I'd say questing in Dread wastes is easily as dangerous as questing on Hellfire/Shadowmoon/Netherstorm in early TBC.
    One untimely add can mean your death, esp if you're new to the game.

The only thing that's missing: mean elite areas you need other players for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    That's pretty funny. Lemme throw some words at you: Pokemon, farmville, plants vs zombies, solo scenarios, shared tags, removal of group quests.

See something there? This game has slowly devolved from an MMORPG to an ORPG. It's so chock full of solo-friendly content at this point, that the only thing holding it up the "MM" is raiding, dungeons, and pvp. Half of which (random queues) aren't very "MM". Blizzard has already turned this game into a different type of game for every person that plays it. Pvp has its own stats, pet battles have nothing to do with anything else (nor does any other minigame). Talk about "pick something".
    Oh I know, I have stated many times Blizzard needs to pick a direction and go with it, yeah you will lose subs but they are losing subs by trying to please everyone but pleasing very few.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am so unbelievably in support of having ways to bypass leveling, this 90 boost? ABOUT TIME. Thinking of adding a 90 boost to the store? YES. I'd still wager that they should go back to how DK's used to work for any boost where you are required to have already gone through the game once to get any boosts. Leveled up one maybe two 100s? Your next alt will level 5 times as fast or something like that. I'm leveling a priest right now, up to 71, and I've only stomached it because of a combination of full heirloom, rested, and 300% xp elixirs I farmed, this will be my 6th 90 in the 9 years I've been playing, I'm about done with leveling.

This isn't a bad idea and kinda harkens to Skyrim and other games where your abilities level you up so no area is really off limits or out-leveled.
    So no levels.
    You get the best gear and there will never be anything better.
    Otherwise you would out gear zones,mobs and bosses which would defeat the purpose.

As far as a free/bought max level character, I think that is fine but the option to buy one should be unlocked only after having one max level character on your account.

What I miss is my character actually getting more powerful due to levels, not GEAR. Gear should help but when you take off all your gear atm, you lose the vast majority of your stats.

Also I think it sucks the game took skills out. I like games where you have to make out your offensive/defensive skills and where it takes a lot to get those last few points...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Because it's content that Blizzard put a considerable amount of time and effort, and unless it's so far below the current quality (like old 1-60 and arguably 60-70 is) that it's horrible then it's something that Blizzard want new players to experience. Let's face it, new players don't come into the game with the sole intention of smashing to max level ASAP and hitting up LFR, they want to get used to the game, explore the world and enjoy their character.
    So if new players explore the world, get used to the game, and enjoy their character then what is stopping them from experiencing the old content as they do that?

The only outdated concept about leveling in this game is how pants on head simplistic it is.

If giving folks an option to leapfrog all of it means that Blizzard goes back and actually makes leveling interesting again, I'm more than all for it.

I agree that WoW's leveling system is dull, but not because of the levels themselves, it's the fact that there are very few different types of quests. The truth is a good 85-90% of the quests you do are kill x and gather x of x. I'm hoping the WoD idea of more exploration and world events replaces some of those bland quests that we've done a thousand times before. It feels stupid being this mighty warrior that's killed all of Azeroth's biggest threats so far then gathering 6 wolf pelts for some leather tanner in a no-name village.

I much prefer the Elder Scrolls level system where performing skills makes you better at that skill, with augmentations for those skills through actual character levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    I agree that WoW's leveling system is dull, but not because of the levels themselves, it's the fact that there are very few different types of quests. The truth is a good 85-90% of the quests you do are kill x and gather x of x. I'm hoping the WoD idea of more exploration and world events replaces some of those bland quests that we've done a thousand times before. It feels stupid being this mighty warrior that's killed all of Azeroth's biggest threats so far then gathering 6 wolf pelts for some leather tanner in a no-name village.

I much prefer the Elder Scrolls level system where performing skills makes you better at that skill, with augmentations for those skills through actual character levels.
    IMO that to me is obnoxious. I doubt a new leveling system is too late for WoW. I'm sure they're thinking of something.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Imo leveling should either be long stretching to the point where leveling itself is the gameplay, or there shouldn't be leveling. WoW is sort of an awkward middle where you level, but it doesn't last long and is sort just... there.