5.4.2 realm tags?

With the new patch everyone on my guild list has name-realm now. So for example my alt shows up as Archatis-Kargath instead of just Archatis. When guild members log on is shows them as "name-realm has come online."

What is this? What's the purpose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    With the new patch everyone on my guild list has name-realm now. So for example my alt shows up as Archatis-Kargath instead of just Archatis. When guild members log on is shows them as "name-realm has come online."

What is this? What's the purpose?
    I'm sure it's to help support the merged realms. Because when Kargath gets merged (if it isn't already), there could be an Archatis on the new server; by forcing us to recognize the player-servername concatenated, they are helping to ensure that you interact with the correct person via tells, mails, etc.

im guessing its related to account-wide BoA items or connected realms (long run picture). Im on drenden. everybody has -drenden at the end when they log in/out. we're not connected to anybody. sounds like a small bug, or intentional change. not sure.

Cross-realm heirlooms as of this patch, and connected realms prep for realms not yet connected
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Alright thanks everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I noticed this too yesterday when I mailed stuff to my alts, was rather funny.
    Cross realm heirlooms gonna be sweeeeeet. Not that I am going to do that though.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    million dollar question; how do you turn it off?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't. This is why Garrosh is going back in time to BC.