Poll: Do you want a Slow Exp 'Adventure Mode'?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Would you want a Slow Exp Mode?

What ho,

Levelling up these days is a quick and easy process. If you know what you're doing, you can probably level up a few level 90 characters in a matter of days.

The fact that levelling is very quick can be nice, whether you're a veteran or a new player, as most people want to reach endgame as soon as possible. It's more fresh and relevant.

However, there are times when you just want to see the old content. Experience the World of Warcraft - not just the newest expansion's continent. You might want to really dig into the old quests and lore, and remind yourself about what goes on in the old world. Or you may want to level five professions at once, at a steady pace.

The best solution to this, in my view, would be an 'Adventure Mode'.

Adventure Mode

• Toggle it by clicking a button by your experience bar, or in the Settings Menu.
    • Locks your experience gain at ~50% of the base number.
    • Prevents you from using Heirlooms.
    • Removes any other experience bonuses, such as the one from RAF.

Would you want it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally? No.

Maybe I could see the appeal for some people if they did something like add voiceovers to all the quests, or make some of the "Collect 10 boar asses" quests a little more interesting.

The current exp rate doesn't prevent you from doing any of the things you mentioned, it seems like a totally pointless addition. If you choose to use heirlooms, RAF and what not and move on to a new zone as soon as quests turn green/grey in your current one that is your own fault and not that of the baseline experience rate.

Makes no sense. Prevents you from using Heirlooms? How about just not equipping them? Seriously, what's the point?

Reduced experience? It's in the game. Turn off experience. I did that in Cataclysm.

Deleted
    Turn off XP gain when you reach zone cap?

"Prevents you from using heirlooms".... unless you're fishing for an achieve to wave around I don't see the point. Don't want heirlooms, don't wear heirlooms. The others at least make internal sense because they'll prevent you from accidentally getting a buff you didn't want assuming you're into that kind of thing.

Yeah, the only thing that would need to be done is to add an exp on/off toggle to the UI so you wouldn't have to run back and forth between the leveling zone and Stormwind/Orgrimmar to turn exp on/off. No need to try and make a whole "mode" for this type of play.

Deleted
    Why so negative, guys?

First of all, just turning off the experience gain isn't very immersive. What the system is meant to achieve is keep a steady and believable pace of progression, so that you feel challenged and rewarded. It's not meant to feel like you cripple yourself when you could be moving on, but rather that the game waits for you, as it were.

Locking heirlooms seems natural to me, for such a system. Yes, you can choose not to use them, but the point is to give the player an alternate mode to level up with, where you don't use boosts. Switching them off will stop you from using them if you even feel the urge to. Some people may want to use them for looks or their power alone, but that would still make you overpowered vs. the content. So the easiest thing is to just switch them off while in that mode. Players should collect loot along the way if they do this, ideally.

It's also a fact that if you do level up even without experience boosters like heirlooms, you will still quickly out-level all the zones due to the way XP gain is tweaked these days. This system would let you level and feel efficient, while still making sure you didn't zone-hop between stories like you do now.

Leveling fast has to happen, there are 100 levels instead of 60 now.

Although, If they make it so you don't level faster than the zone you are leveling in I would enjoy it. Rather annoying that my quests turn green before I even finish the zone.

I want a harder option to level through that gives better rewards. Harder dungeons and quests.
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2013-12-11 at 04:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, would be useful sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    I'm against this though. Leave heirlooms in but remove their exp bonus.

Why so negative, guys?

First of all, just turning off the experience gain isn't very immersive. What the system is meant to achieve is keep a steady and believable pace of progression, so that you feel challenged and rewarded. It's not meant to feel like you cripple yourself when you could be moving on, but rather that the game waits for you, as it were.

Locking heirlooms seems natural to me, for such a system. Yes, you can choose not to use them, but the point is to give the player an alternate mode to level up with, where you don't use boosts. Switching them off will stop you from using them if you even feel the urge to. Some people may want to use them for looks or their power alone, but that would still make you overpowered vs. the content. So the easiest thing is to just switch them off while in that mode. Players should collect loot along the way if they do this, ideally.

It's also a fact that if you do level up even without experience boosters like heirlooms, you will still quickly out-level all the zones due to the way XP gain is tweaked these days. This system would let you level and feel efficient, while still making sure you didn't zone-hop between stories like you do now.
    Like I said, if levelling slower enriches the experience for you, more power to you. You can already substantially get there by turning your XP gain on and off though obviously making that easier and smoother would help you.

Having a mode disable some thing you can already choose not to do is pointless development effort. Don't want heirlooms, don't wear heirlooms. No development required.

Deleted
    It seems pointless (sorry), if you want to do that content there's nothing stopping you from doing every quest in every zone before moving on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrayFox View Post
    Leveling fast has to happen, there are 100 levels instead of 60 now.

Although, If they make it so you don't level faster than the zone you are leveling in I would enjoy it. Rather annoying that my quests turn green before I even finish the zone.

I want a harder option to level through that gives better rewards. Harder dungeons and quests.
    See, that is something I have always hated. Given that most people level with heirlooms now it is entirely possible to pick up say 5 or 6 quests, and by the time you have completed but not turned in the first 2 or 3, most of them have turned green. I think Blizzard seriously need to retune requests with the acceptance that most people will be in heirlooms. Sure, it may make things more challenging for newcomers, but that shouldn't be a problem considering how face roll it is now and most people are complaining about it. And especially with them bumping the level cap up to 100, I think they need to redistribute the levels in each zone. Make each one cover a larger level cap, and change the quests accordingly. Make some not unlocked until lower level ones are done, or something along those lines. I am just tired of picking up a bunch of quests that on my level, and by the time they are all complete, I am three or four levels higher and the quests don't give me as much experience as they should have.

I think I could get behind an option where you could still use heirlooms, but the experience bonus would be turned off. I don't want them to completely remove the bonus in general, because sometimes I would like to just burn through the levels on certain characters. But sometimes it would be nice to be overpowered, and still be able to stop and smell the roses a long way.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2013-12-11 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    What ho,

Levelling up these days is a quick and easy process. If you know what you're doing, you can probably level up a few level 90 characters in a matter of days.

The fact that levelling is very quick can be nice, whether you're a veteran or a new player, as most people want to reach endgame as soon as possible. It's more fresh and relevant.

However, there are times when you just want to see the old content. Experience the World of Warcraft - not just the newest expansion's continent. You might want to really dig into the old quests and lore, and remind yourself about what goes on in the old world. Or you may want to level five professions at once, at a steady pace.

The best solution to this, in my view, would be an 'Adventure Mode'.

Adventure Mode

• Toggle it by clicking a button by your experience bar, or in the Settings Menu.
    • Locks your experience gain at ~50% of the base number.
    • Removes any other experience bonuses, such as the one from RAF.

Would you want it?

Ehm... I had that adventure mode thingy going on while I was doing my Loremaster achievement (once pre-Cata, and then once more to fill in the blanks that Cata had caused in the quest counter for the new and redesigned areas).

People who want to quest through everything will do so regardless of XP.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    See, that is something I have always hated. Given that most people level with heirlooms now it is entirely possible to pick up say 5 or 6 quests, and by the time you have completed but not turned in the first 2 or 3, most of them have turned green. I think Blizzard seriously need to retune requests with the acceptance that most people will be in heirlooms. Sure, it may make things more challenging for newcomers, but that shouldn't be a problem considering how face roll it is now and most people are complaining about it. And especially with them bumping the level cap up to 100, I think they need to redistribute the levels in each zone. Make each one cover a larger level cap, and change the quests accordingly. Make some not unlocked until lower level ones are done, or something along those lines. I am just tired of picking up a bunch of quests that on my level, and by the time they are all complete, I am three or four levels higher and the quests don't give me as much experience as they should have.

I think I could get behind an option where you could still use heirlooms, but the experience bonus would be turned off. I don't want them to completely remove the bonus in general, because sometimes I would like to just burn through the levels on certain characters. But sometimes it would be nice to be overpowered, and still be able to stop and smell the roses a long way.
    I hardly use heirlooms because it ruins the leveling experience to be honest, I still out level zones without them. :P

Leveling isn't quick, don't know what you're smoking. It's a terrible grind and the reason I don't have every class maxed.

But, if other people want to level slower for some reason, I wouldn't care. Just don't force me to go slower with them. In fact, speed mine up.

Yea i would, I could see myself bring my gf in wow and play with her, clearing all the content, i know she wouldnt want to raid.

Not only that, but they'd need to make the content harder as well, i alwasy thought vanilla, or even BC had a great leveling balance. You had to pull one mob at a time or probably die, everything felt dangerous, it could take you awhile to reach a mining node, you ran out of quests so you had to explore a bit (although vanilla was a slightly too hardcore on that.)

5man dungeons back then were actually hard, people had to take their time, had to CC ennemies, one pull at a time, tank had to pull, tank/healer/dps role had to be respected.

Honestly, Blizzard is just killing the new player playerbase right now, people join the game, they rollface through the braindead content, they probably find 5mans too chaotic/fast paced, not hard enough, and they probably quit at lvl50.. just like my friend who started playing 2-3months ago. You need some kind of difficulty to feel like you accomplished something, vanilla wasnt really hard, but it was still hard enough that you felt really happy about gettijng a level, getting a new item, or that you completed that quest 2 levels above you.. or even that orange quest you spent wayyy too long on.

I don't think they should implement such a feature. My two arguments for that is:

1. To implement such a system would take away development time on new content

2. If you want to experience the older content, you can do it right now. Just don't leave an area when you are to high level.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I think Blizzard seriously need to retune requests with the acceptance that most people will be in heirlooms.
    That's ridiculous. Heirlooms are specifically intended to boost you. Tuning to negate the heirloom boost is double reverse logic with a backflip.