Do-it-all PC build, your input welcome

I think I posted one of these many months ago, however, this is a revised list that I'm probably going to pull the trigger on in a week or so.

Goals: A very capable, rather future-proofed machine that can do digital audio work, gaming, 2d and 3d art very well. Video processing isn't a topic, but could be later on down the road.

PC case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
    Power supply: ENERMAX Platimax EPM750AWT 750W
    motherboard: ASUS Maximus V EXTREME
    mem: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
    cpu: i7-3770K
    cpu cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H110
    SSD drives: 2 Samsung 840's (256 OS, and 512 for games)
    SATA drives: 2 Seagate Barracuda's (1tb each)
    vid card: GTX780 ti
    Monitor: ASUS PB Series PB278Q

Thoughts? Nitpicks?

Unless your getting a smoking deal on that mobo/cpu you might as well go with z87/4770k, no reason not to. Obviously a 780ti is the fastest single gpu card on the market but if you care about price/performance ratios the 780 would be the leader in that category.

You could save like 300 bucks buying a rebranded samsung 1440p screen:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA3PC1705689

Most people get pixel perfect screens with these and the only real question is if yours will have backlight bleed, id say 15-20% have it but its an easy fix for most. But given your part list your probably willing to spend the extra money on a A+ grade screen.

Id personally get a 512gig ssd rather than two in raid, raid makes sense for storage devices but not SSD's to me.

Thanks for the feedback...my understanding is that the 4770k's are less oc-friendly, but yeah, I do see that the cost difference is negligible really.

The monitor is actually the component I'm having the most trouble settling on... an ultrawide looks like something I'd really enjoy as well for gaming, and they're in the same ballpark $-wise as the Asus. Of course, I could drop down to 1080p and have 2 27's for the price of the Asus, and have a ton of room for non-gaming work...

Decisions, decisions.

Well if you want to talk OC friendly you may as well jump all the way back to sandy bridge. 2700k are almost guaranteed to do 5.0ghz, all the while with reasonable temps without delidding.

Not sure what you mean with ultrawide comment, but if i were you i would definitely do a 1440 screen unless gsync is appealing to you. If you dont know what gsync is here is an overview, its apparently one of those things you need to see in person to appreciate:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync

At release gsync will only be available on a few select monitors, mainly 144hz 1080p but eventually this will come to 1440p as well. The asus 144hz is supposed to have an upgrade kit available for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Not sure what you mean with ultrawide comment
    Like so:

That's a 21/9 monitor. They're more productivity aimed rather than gaming and for that price you can buy 2-3 1080p monitors or a 1440p monitor. Since you decided your choice mostly on aesthetics reasons; I would rather take a H80i over a H110/H100i because the rad is invisible in an air 540. Maximus V extreme? It's an awful board for gamers, the formula is a better choice and it's cheaper.

Enermax PSU? No.

I would rather take a WD10EZRX over the seagates, 7200rpm drives aren't really worth it over 5400rpm drives with 1TB platters nowadays.

Made a few slight changes to this list (different PS and cooler, dropped 1 ssd drive), mainly to push the price down a bit without sacrificing video quality or overall power.

I also decided to use my current monitor for now, and play the wait / see game with current 1440p pricing. Dell just announced a 28" monitor that will retail for under $1k in 2014, so I suspect (hope?) that other prices will fall accordingly.

Order placed, I should be busy assembling this next weekend. Psyched!!!!