Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I hope WoD brings back the fun for me personaly

Did OP try and really argue his opinion as a fact?

Seriously?

Well in that case I guess my opinion that the Moon is actually just a giant face covered in shaving cream is a true. I don't know how I feel about that.

Since when was wow ever serious? Its always been tongue in cheek and full of pop culture references. I was actually just lamenting the other day that there isn't ENOUGH tongue in cheek stuff in MoP. I was hoping for a lot more Monkey Magic references

Couldn't disagree more. The expansion has easily been the best the game has ever produced.
    The things NPCs say does not make the immersion for me, the zones and areas themselves do.

Don't see how you could look at the Jade Forest as a whole and not have your breath taken away, or any of the raids this expansion.
    Mogushan vaults alone really solidified this expansion's presence for me.

Regardless even if the dialogue is less than serious, if you are so upset about it that you need to make a thread complaining you may not be playing the game for the right reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    A quest here or there? How about 70% of a zone dedicated to Nintendo Game references and parody NPCs (un'goro crater, vanilla). 50% of a zone dedicated to someone's mancrush on Indianna Jones (Uldum, Cataclysm). Podracing Goblins / Gnomes in the pre-cataclysm shimmering flats. I mean, jeebus, do you even pay remote attention to the game you have been playing for the last several years? There are enough pop culture references spread everywhere in the game from the blatantly obvious to the incredibly subtle to fill a freaking encyclopedia set.

Also, you are really going to have to give some examples of your "cringeworthy" boss dialogue in Heart of Fear et al, since none of them even remotely annoyed me, and I guarantee you for every line of dialogue you might find annoying i could find you 5 more from any given expantion that are FAR FAR worse.

WoW has NEVER been a serious game. Anyone who thinks so really needs to take a step back and take a serious look at the game they are playing.
    I think part of the problem in vanilla is that the content is spread out, and was at the time, time consuming. So you wouldn't run into the stuff constantly and when you did it was some nice levity to break the pace. When an entire expack can be leveled through in less than a week on a tiny island with silliness happening everywhere, it isn't the occasional humor breaking the pace, silliness is setting the pace and it only gets broken up by the rare serious bits.

Really? I love the Paragon's speech right before the fight. I think it's such an awesome idea to have the Klaxxi live up to their promise of "When the time comes, we'll be against you".

I agree MOP was much more light hearted compared to all the other expacs at the beginning, but everything after 5.0 was fantastic.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulrender View Post
    WoW has lost its tone of seriousness and with it, its immersion too.

Cataclysm could have been great if DS wasnt a horrible raid and more focus was placed on the end-game rather than the 1-60 content BUT I cannot complain about that because I think what they did with the 1-60 content was fantastic and needed.

Im really hoping WoD allows for a more serious tone and a stronger theme that will immerse us. They have 10 levels to do it. Hopefully they will, because I just can't take this expansion serious at all.

After running SoO a billion times and hearing the same poorly written corny lines from Sylvanas to Lor'Themar or the Paragons or pretty much every other boss, I want to rip my eyes and ears out.

The whole theme behind the pandaren could have been done a lot better. Its killing me. I apologize if my opinion differs from yours to the point where you feel the need to angrily disagree with me and bash me.

EDIT: I appreciate what they are doing with the lore with the Garrosh build-up, but I really really really am agitated by the delivery of it (if that makes sense)
    WoW was never serious to begin with. Even Classic WoW had lots of silly stuff, quests and whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haris Pilton <Socialite>

/thread
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

I love WoW, before and now. I don't see the giant satire comedy and poor themes you do in MoP. In fact I feel MoP did the best job in telling a concrete story compared to some of the other expansions (BC and Cata).

10+ Year Old Account
    Im really hoping WoD allows for a more serious tone and a stronger theme that will immerse us.
    So attempted genocide and a coup d'etat aren't serious themes? Not to mention the ressurection of a powerful king who enslaved Ra-den. Oh and a race of evil creatures that feed of our negative energies. This is all kiddy stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    $6 for a game made in 1993? If it was free then maybe I would buy it instead of pirating it.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP is one giant satire comedy with a poor theme and dry humor all around
    Nothing in this statement makes any sense. Now, I don't agree with anything you say, but I think maybe a better title would be something like "I think MoP is a silly expansion." See what I did there? Proper grammar, correct word usage, and it is clearly recognizable as a subjective statement.

Someone has obviously forgotten the quest in Borean Tundra where you have to dig through wolf feces.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    WoW was never serious to begin with. Even Classic WoW had lots of silly stuff, quests and whatnot.
    I don't think the issue is that WoW has silly stuff. It was nice to break things up in vanilla. The problem is with the amount of silly stuff. I could easily go a week if not a whole month without seeing anything silly in vanilla. In MoP you cannot go a single day. Hell even in BC and wrath there was silly stuff here and there but you weren't constantly running into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not talking about a quest here-and-there. That's obvious.

I mean literally every boss quote is capable of forcing a cringe out of someone from the bosses in Heart of Fear to the ones in the 90 dungeons.
    If you can maybe specify what quotes you are referring to and why exactly they are corny, that would help.

Personally I don't think anyone tops Kael'thas's over the top Ham, but that's just my opinion.

Stop throwing around buzzwords like "immersion" all the time, you don't know what it means and immersion in games is only possible and desirable to a limited degree.

I think the OP never met Subject Nine...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotInTheFace0 View Post
    Someone has obviously forgotten the quest in Borean Tundra where you have to dig through wolf feces.
    Post #32 was way too far in for someone to mention it. I got worried. There was also the one in Hellfire with Felguards or whatever they were called again. And the one where you scare the shit out of the bats in Howling Fjord. And the part where you swallow seeds in Grizzly Hills, take to the outhouse to drop a deuce, and get the seeds back. I thought there was others, but between 9 years of this game and 5 versions, you lose track.

But yeah, the OP is way off by thinking this game was serious. I mean, it was serious, but it was peppered all over with silly things. MoP, to me, felt much like typical American Asian film how they're often so calm, joyous, and peaceful-like, and then things get real. The last time I can remember Warcraft being totally serious was Warcraft III. Either way, with the amount of time spent on the game, if it was serious for the entire 100s or 1000s of hours I played, I'd probably lose it.

Personally I feel retarded pop culture references and shitty jokes definitely went up by a decent amount since warcraft's inception. I don't mind some of these along the way but it got quite excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Stop throwing around buzzwords like "immersion" all the time, you don't know what it means and immersion in games is only possible and desirable to a limited degree.
    Not sure who that is pointed at, but immersion is a very real issue. Just because we aren't talking about full on virtual reality doesn't mean you can't get sucked into a game. Granted I don't get anywhere nearly as immersed in online games as I do solo RPG games because anal jokes are a constant reminder you are playing an MMORPG. That said there are times playing Rift where I will be really immersed in the game working on a quest and big chunks of the environment will disappear and reappear over and over again and that shit really breaks you out of the zone. Similarly in WoW everytime I say a panda bouncing across my screen I have to sigh and roll my eyes. A variety of things can reduce the amount of immersion you feel in a game, and much of it is subjective and varies from player to player.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Personally I feel retarded pop culture references and shitty jokes definitely went up by a decent amount since warcraft's inception. I don't mind some of these along the way but it got quite excessive.
    Agreed. If they are going to try and make the game funny they should just hire Matt Stone and Trey Parker to South Parkify a WoW.

The gorillas in ungoro drop barrels. Nuff said.