Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madassa648 View Post
    What storyline in Vanilla and BC? There wasn't one

"Oh illidan is craaaaaaaaaaazy! He must be stopped!"

"Umm...Why Malfurion?"

"Umm...well...did you help fight the summoned dragon at the AQ40 opening chain? No..well I said he was a bit bad there and needed to be stopped..other than that..I've got nothing."

Vanillas story

Horde
    Alliance
    NINJA FIGHTAN!
    I was more talking about WC3.

Anyway, its not like MoPs storyline is particularly stellar work from what I've seen,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    I am reading them and either I am missing something or he is still right about there being more pop culture references. You never added any condition to what you said as the type of pop culture references, how in your face some are etc. So he is right still. You might as come out and say it cause that list is huge. I went through MoP without problems which goes to show how much they died down the references, but . If you want to talk about humor, that is kind of a different issue which is more subjective.
    Well, I don't have any issues with let's say gorillas dropping barrels. Or that zelda reference in ungoro seeing how smoothly it's implemented. I have an issue with uldum and Harrison jones. Or valley of four winds and stormstout.
    But I understand I expressed myself incorrectly and ill take the blame.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire game from start up until today is a satire. Sometimes it's more hidden, sometimes it's more obvious. But it is that way forever.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    I was more talking about WC3.

Anyway, its not like MoPs storyline is particularly stellar work from what I've seen,
    That simple line means a lot. 'What i've seen' did you skip quest texts or level mainly through dungeons? Or did you do the zones and read what was being said. In all the zones there was a coherent story line. Yes some of the zones were lulzy and there was some seriously retarded moments in there, but its still a better story than Vanilla, BC and TBC.

I'd also say that it pips Wrath in quite a few areas. For example the sense of Garrosh as a villan is always there,whilst the poor old LK would turn up scream JUST AS PLANNED! then storm off. He was NEVER EVER a threat save in the Halls of Reflection, the quest Tirions Gambit or his fight. Otherwise he was team bloody rocket. Pop up say 'Oh yeah..testing and stuff...Eeeeeeeeeeevil!' then bugger off. Again and again and again.

The characters are more fleshed out rather than Cata and Wraths. Varian is no longer a racist ego with a chin who you click on and he makes amusing references to a comic that most of us have not read. He's actually become likeable instead of a Mary Stu with anger management issues (oh and a child beater). Yes they have done ham fisted stuff. Jaina suddenly becoming Rita Repulsa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gayp5mXHZ7Y (warning its crackly at the start but it goes away, skip about 10 seconds in) was ham fisted and badly done as well as making her a MASSIVE hypocrit.

Why I hear folks ask? Well Theramore was always an independent city state, not an Alliance city, but a country unto itself. Think San Morino or even the Vatican. And it was ALLIED with the Alliance of Lordaron. But always seeking peace with the Horde. Then in Cata

[Varian] Hey Jaina, can we use your city as an invasion port? You know so we can attack the Horde from your city and use you as a massive supply depot with all the risks of suddenly siding with us in the war brings?

[Jaina] (who had probably been either snorting mana dust or drinking lead based paint and beaning her head every day for a hour with a ballpine hammer to reach this decision) Sure Varian! You just send those troops on over, we'll help you built a road to support your offensive too! But all I want is peace! I R freendly!

*Pandaria*

*MANA BOMB FUCKOFF EXPLOSION!*

[Garrosh] Kek

[Jaian] RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEG! What did I EVER do to deserve this from those ANIMALS!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!!??!ONE!

[One of her advisors] Well..you DID make us a primary target and...

[Jaina] I will have my revenge on those baby killers! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABY KILLERS!!!!! *jaina ran off shrieking and clawing at her face*

Or don't get me started on poor Old Archbishop Benny.

[Benny] I WANT POWAH!

[Players] Why..?

[Benny] Oh..um...fuck knows, was in a book that wasn't referenced at all in game. Apparently evil from the begining...

Either that or he woke up and found there was no milk in the fridge and had some kinda nervous breakdown.

At least in Pandaria the characters that are added to the game have a story to tell and it evolves over time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulrender View Post
    So you're going to tell me everything up until MoP was filled with as many corny jokes, immature scenery, and poorly written dialogue?
    Yes.

/10char

Deleted
    I'm against Pandaren as much as the next guy, I hate the "cute" impression that comes from them, but going through the quests and reading it, Pandaria has some pretty dark themes. The quests at least, while light on the surface, were interesting underneath.

So you're going to tell me everything up until MoP was filled with as many corny jokes, immature scenery, and poorly written dialogue?
    BINGO!

This has never been a game that took itself too seriously. For example all the "cool" bosses we have dealt with are mostly (if not 100% all of them even) silly cartoon villains at best if you take a closer look.
    Either you love that aspect, learn to live with it or hate it. But what I don't get is how some people think it isn't even there.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-12-12 at 12:57 PM.

I disagree. I felt Cataclysm was more satire then MoP.
    I disagree. I felt MoP was more satire then Cataclysm.

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW is the first MMO I knew that didn't take itself very seriously. There were a ridiculous number of easter eggs in vanilla that were cool, quirky, funny, and silly.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    I disagree. I felt MoP was more satire then Cataclysm.
    You never did uldum did you?

Hey kids! Wanna learn about the Tol'vir and this awesome new land in all its Stargate-1/Ancient Egypt rip off glory?

TOUGH SHIT! Here have a LOAD of obnoxious Indiana Jones references rubbed so hard against your face it leaves a fucking mark.

Maybe they felt that the gloomy Wrath and the angry Cataclysm was a bit too negative. Vanilla was rather light in comparison. No huge threat, just a problem here and there that needed to be dealt with. I agree that MoP was the least immersive, but that might be because both me and the game are getting older, and I don't really have many wow-friends left. They're all scattered or have quit. Experiencing the lore with your "pals" was half the fun.

In my opinion, at least, I think that Blizzard wanted us to love the Pandaren, and care when Garrosh destroyed the vale and killed their people, but that they failed with that. To make an exaggerated example, it would be a bit like if Lucas had killed Jar-Jar in the end of The Phantom Menace. He would have expected tears, but would gotten cheers. If it was citizens of stormwind that paid the same price, people would find this expansion to be darker and more serious.

Well, at any rate, I think they're going for the more darker theme this time. We're invading Draenor in the middle of a war, right?
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that's pretty much what hooked me. When I first went to Shatt, my brother saw and said "hey, is that He man and Battle cat behind you?" and I was like ... what. He then told me to go to the horde battlemaster and said it was Skeleton man or some shit. Didn't know what the hell he was talking about, and then I ran into a goblin in Netherstorm named Bill and his title was <Fire Marshal>. Come on!

Quote Originally Posted by madassa648 View Post
    You never did uldum did you?

Hey kids! Wanna learn about the Tol'vir and this awesome new land in all its Stargate-1/Ancient Egypt rip off glory?

TOUGH SHIT! Here have a LOAD of obnoxious Indiana Jones references rubbed so hard against your face it leaves a fucking mark.
    I'm leveling a new char now and I just skipped that place this time. There was so much potential with the egyptian theme but they didn't deliver. It was too silly, right from the introduction quests.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-12-12 at 01:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I've just been with World of Warcraft for too long.

Mists of Pandaria just seemed...idk, too colorful for me. Although there was definately misery and sadness all around, it didn't have the atmosphere that Wrath of the Lich King, or even Burning Crusade had.

Wrath was the epitome of what I've always felt WoW had aesthetically. Cold, dreary, and wartorn. It had that Warcraft "feel" to it, so I was always out in the world doing things.

I find myself just hanging around Orgrimmar quite abit in Mists just because, although beautiful, and pleasing to the eyes, it just doesn't have that "feel" or warrant me to go out and kill things to the scope previous expansions had, even Cataclysm.
    I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Maybe I'm biased because I really like Reign of Chaos, but what is up with everyone saying that the Lich King was a bad villain? I thought he was pretty well done in Wrath, and I thought Artha's death scene was pretty well done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sysTERROR View Post
    I guess I've just been with World of Warcraft for too long.

Mists of Pandaria just seemed...idk, too colorful for me. Although there was definately misery and sadness all around, it didn't have the atmosphere that Wrath of the Lich King, or even Burning Crusade had.

Wrath was the epitome of what I've always felt WoW had aesthetically. Cold, dreary, and wartorn. It had that Warcraft "feel" to it, so I was always out in the world doing things.

I find myself just hanging around Orgrimmar quite abit in Mists just because, although beautiful, and pleasing to the eyes, it just doesn't have that "feel" or warrant me to go out and kill things to the scope previous expansions had, even Cataclysm.
    Sounds like you would be better off playing the now dying Warhammer MMORPG. God if ever there was a universe that called out for a successful MMORPG its the Warhammer 40K universe, and the one coming out sounds more like Planetside with space marheens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I disagree with basically everything you just said of MoP, but I see this thread as a flamebait simply because of your last sentence.
    And what was the purpose of this rant other than to just put your opinion out there while you could have in any established threads, which you have.
    Since you didn't provide any context or arguments for your opinion, I see this post as a flamebait simply because of your last sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Maybe I'm biased because I really like Reign of Chaos, but what is up with everyone saying that the Lich King was a bad villain? I thought he was pretty well done in Wrath, and I thought Artha's death scene was pretty well done.
    *spits out tea and breaks his monocle*

Sorry...what? That was the MOST hamfisted thing ever 'There must ALWAYS BE A LICH KING!' Umm...why? 'Umm...'cause...err..scourge...' you mean the ones who have lost all of their leaders, have no way of rebuilding their forces due to most of the necromancers being killed off as well as having their numbers decimated? "Yessssss?"

Bullshit!

I raged so much at that. It made no sense, no sense at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was *satire* to folks because of one thing.

Pandas. If we found a different land to exploit, it would of been complimented to all heavens by the loud people in the forums(Even the official forums).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

WoW has lost its tone of seriousness and with it, its immersion too.

Cataclysm could have been great if DS wasnt a horrible raid and more focus was placed on the end-game rather than the 1-60 content BUT I cannot complain about that because I think what they did with the 1-60 content was fantastic and needed.

Im really hoping WoD allows for a more serious tone and a stronger theme that will immerse us. They have 10 levels to do it. Hopefully they will, because I just can't take this expansion serious at all.

After running SoO a billion times and hearing the same poorly written corny lines from Sylvanas to Lor'Themar or the Paragons or pretty much every other boss, I want to rip my eyes and ears out.

The whole theme behind the pandaren could have been done a lot better. Its killing me. I apologize if my opinion differs from yours to the point where you feel the need to angrily disagree with me and bash me.

EDIT: I appreciate what they are doing with the lore with the Garrosh build-up, but I really really really am agitated by the delivery of it (if that makes sense)
    I don't feel that your OP supports your thread title. The title intrigued me, your post just bores me. I feel a little cheated