Poll: Do you think WoD will sell more or less than MoP?

Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Do you think WoD will sell more or less than MoP?

From what we all know about the current expansion, do you think it will be able to outsell MoP? While the MMORPG genre is getting more unpopular (especially with monthly sub), I think this one has potential to atleast bring a lot of older players back who atleast loved TBC. But it is still hard to tell if it can outsell MoP.

Sales from all previous expansions:

TBC sold in its first DAY 2.25 million copies
    WotLK sold in its first DAY 2.8 million copies
    Cata sold in its first DAY 3.3 million copies
    MoP sold in its first WEEK 2.7 million copies

How well do you think WoD will do?

Definitely more. Not sure if as much as in the old days though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't it not count digital sales for MoP or something? I forget. I think it will do well but who knows. I'd like some updates on it. I'm actually really looking forward to it, probably more than the past couple xpacs due to the enormous quality of life changes like the toy page (it will free up SO much space in my bags/bank). Looks like some really great stuff. Gonna have to just wait and see. I'm hoping they can get a lot of subs back and keep them this time around. I hate to see the game stay steadily declining, even if it is long from dead.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    From what we all know about the current expansion, do you think it will be able to outsell MoP? While the MMORPG genre is getting more unpopular (especially with monthly sub), I think this one has potential to atleast bring a lot of older players back who atleast loved TBC. But it is still hard to tell if it can outsell MoP.

Sales from all previous expansions:

TBC sold in its first DAY 2.25 million copies
    WotLK sold in its first DAY 2.8 million copies
    Cata sold in its first DAY 3.3 million copies
    MoP sold in its first WEEK 2.7 million copies

How well do you think WoD will do?
    Well, it pretty much depends on how satisfactory MoP was imho. Quite a lot (subjective) seem to really dislike mop as a whole, and threaten to not continue..but then again - they are the same ppl that keep buying this exp after exp. And if so many ppl bought MoP after shitty Cataclysm ending, my guess will be it will be about the same - 2.7 mil. But keeping those subs - that's another question.

On other hand - WoD comes after launch of TESO (elder scrolls online), which will do a major cut in subs as it's not just "another MMO that's gona fail" (subjective again) and I really see part of market switching to TESO. I will, for example and will come to WoD just to chat with some guildies that will not play TESO as far i know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Well, it pretty much depends on how satisfactory MoP was imho. Quite a lot (subjective) seem to really dislike mop as a whole, and threaten to not continue..but then again - they are the same ppl that keep buying this exp after exp. And if so many ppl bought MoP after shitty Cataclysm ending, my guess will be it will be about the same - 2.7 mil. But keeping those subs - that's another question.

On other hand - WoD comes after launch of TESO (elder scrolls online), which will do a major cut in subs as it's not just "another MMO that's gona fail" (subjective again) and I really see part of market switching to TESO. I will, for example and will come to WoD just to chat with some guildies that will not play TESO as far i know.
    I think TESO will fail as hard as all the other MMOs, no hype for it whatsoever here, got 10+ close friends who play wow who got more friends etc and people in general rather play no MMO than an MMO that isn't wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

TESO has animations that would let a 2002 game shine in terms of animation compared to TESO, but that's another discussion and this is not a TESO vs WoW topic.

I suspect it will sell more , what made a lot of people quit MoP or not even start it was the tedious lvl 90 5.0 daily grind which u needed to do for the whole duration of Tier 14.

Also WoD has a more familiar environment ( outlands ) and they are removing a few things which oldskool people consider to be ''not wow material'' + a free lvl 90 boost so you can jump straight in.
    WoD will probably beat the MoP weekly 2.7 number, but I think the MMO market is a bit old to break the 3.3 Million One day limit.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Less, and people will take that as proof that WoD is a failure and WoW is dead.

We just don't have 10 million players anymore.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    Didn't it not count digital sales for MoP or something?
    From all the sources I was looking at it only said 2.7 million copies the first week, not a digital amount or anything.

I personally think WoD will sell about the same as MoP, maybe slightly less due to the decline in the genre being stronger than the amount of old timers willing to come back.

Less than 3 million. more than 2.5 million.

EDIT: Assuming it stays at 40$.

We have less subs so will sell less
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Either the same or a slight drop, though I'd love to see a rise in numbers again.

In the first day / week, I don't think so, and I'm only basing this on that I havent pre-ordered it myself yet, and probably wont..
    I mean, i'm getting it ofc, but not as psyched for this expac as for the previous ones.

Sales overall? Literally impossible, you need mop to be able to play WoD (hurr smartass answer)
    I've no idea what to write here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely yes.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Definitely not more, but I don't see it being as big a drop as Cata to MoP.

This is purely ANECDOTAL evidence, so take it as such BUT: I didn't buy mop till Blizzcon this year due to WoD release - the game made me that excited for wow again, and I only played cata for about a month, so I had been out of the WoW loop for a long time. Three friends who were watching the stream with me and bought it too. Since Blizzcon I've had 2 additional friends log back into WoW for the first time, that I've seen, since Wrath (internet friends not known IRL) come back due to WoD.

I definitely think its possible that it will outsell MoP. The theme alone makes me bloodthirsty for some demon slaying, Draneor exploring, and lore immersive content!
    Last edited by Sargiean; 2013-12-13 at 12:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when MoP was announced, everyone was pissed about Pandaland. In contrast, there is almost zero backlash to Warlords. It's an awesome theme, the story could go anywhere, really. I skipped MoP until 5.3 because Pandas, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    I remember when MoP was announced, everyone was pissed about Pandaland. In contrast, there is almost zero backlash to Warlords. It's an awesome theme, the story could go anywhere, really. I skipped MoP until 5.3 because Pandas, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that.
    No, a vocal minority and a lot of repeated references to Kung-Fu Panda does not equal "everyone".
    If you really look back at most of the criticism, then the vast majority of it was on that one subject.

Now take a look at WoD, where there is a similar situation regarding time-travel.
    But there is also criticism on reforging, non-flying, streamlined/simplified stats.

Stop fabricating nonsense to support a personal belief which did not represent as much of the community as you like to think it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    MoP sold pretty well considering it had one of the most controversial ideas for the story direction of the game. Seeing as how WoD is pretty much giving anyone with any kind of respect for the old games massive nerd boners from the name dropping of the Warlords in this expansion then I expect it to sell more than both Cata and MoP.
    Butts.

More, if only because of the free insta-90.

Depends on the marketing.