Deleted

[PVE] Pet management in Raid.

I just want to know Hunter's opinion about pet management in Raid environement, how and with what you control your pet during combat to be sure he's not running around herp derp.

Are you using specific macro, special stance, addons ?

Currently, my pet is Passive and i have Attack bind on my keyboard.

Just wondering if there are a better option.

On some of the simpler fights I just leave him on Assist. Passive on the ones with tighter targeting and target swapping. I do have a /petattack macro keybound, though, and I always use it when swapping targets.

You can't go wrong with /petpassive and having /petattack bound somewhere. That's what most high end hunters do.

A macro with /petpassive and/or /petfollow is useful for getting your pet out of boxes and other stupid shit. I have one of those, AND the same one with Master's Call. I play BM lon Nazgrim, one of the only cases where pet switching is made quicker with MC, since you're standing between the boss and the adds (depending on how you tank Nazgrim).

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep it on passive and keep pet attack and pet passive bound. I tend to be fairly pedantic over where my pet is at all times.

I leave my pet on passive 99% of the time.

I add /petattack [@pettarget,noexists] to most of my normal shot macros, so if my pet doesn't have a target it will attack my target. If its on a boss and I switch it to an add to dps it will stay on the boss.

I then use a /petattack [@target] macro set to a key in case I need my pet to switch to a specific target.

If I'm BM and I want my pet to stay with the tank for Beast Cleave (Galakras for example) I set the tank to my focus. I then have a second Mulit-Shot macro with /petattack [@focustarget][@target] added.

I place mine on passive and have /petattack on my ES/KC (major shot ability, depending on spec) and to my MS for BM because of BC.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

"/petattack [@pettarget,noexists]" on some of my abilities. Arcane/Chim/Explosive/KC

Set pet to passive.

Forget it exists.

Pet on passive. Shift + Mousewheelup to attack, Shift + Mousewheeldown to follow.

Deleted
    "/petattack [@pettarget,noexists]"
    THIS

Exactly what i needed, thank you Rustyboy and Jeremypwnz.

Leave pet on passive, have keybinds for "follow" and "attack."

i always have my pet on assist usually for bm and I have my attack keybound and use it whenever I swap targets because with assist they don't always swap right away or they run back and forth or something dumb. and I have it on assist incase I forgot to use my attack macro or something. if I want it to stay on something the whole time while I switch targets then I'll use my keybind to set it to passive.

personally don't like using pet attack macro on my main abilities since there can be times you don't want your pet to switch targets.
    Last edited by hareu; 2013-12-14 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hareu View Post
    i always have my pet on assist usually for bm and I have my attack keybound and use it whenever I swap targets because with assist they don't always swap right away or they run back and forth or something dumb. and I have it on assist incase I forgot to use my attack macro or something. if I want it to stay on something the whole time while I switch targets then I'll use my keybind to set it to passive.

personally don't like using pet attack macro on my main abilities since there can be times you don't want your pet to switch targets.
    That's why /petattack [@pettarget,noexists] is such a good macro. The pet only attacks if it has no other target.

However, it does require you to have a separate /petattack macro if it DOES have a target, and you want it to switch to something else....Jalak on Horridon comes to mind, you don't just want to keep your pet on Horridon, imo, at least not in BM.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    That's why /petattack [@pettarget,noexists] is such a good macro. The pet only attacks if it has no other target.

However, it does require you to have a separate /petattack macro if it DOES have a target, and you want it to switch to something else....Jalak on Horridon comes to mind, you don't just want to keep your pet on Horridon, imo, at least not in BM.
    yea that would be a lot easier to do I guess, I'll prolly start doing that.

The only time I've ever had a problem with my pet "herp derp"ing is in heroic pandaria instances.
    EDIT: and on Immerseus...

10+ Year Old Account
    /petattack macroed in main attacks except the ones like serpent sting/BA that I'm usually mouseovering into other targets so my pet will stay in the main target to avoid the travel time and therefore DPS loss
    Last edited by Kuul; 2013-12-14 at 05:15 PM.

Assist for SV (with binds for manual control), passive for BM (with same binds, except much more used). For SV, I'd rather pay less attention to the pet since it's a smaller component of damage and the impact of poorly-timed target swaps is minimal. For BM, poor timing on target swaps can lose a significant chunk of damage.