Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Get rid of item upgrades in WoD

Honestly, this is one of the features MoP could have done without. It just feels like an unnecessary valor sink. I can deal with having to get new gems and enchants when I get new gear, those are cool, but having to farm another 500 valor per item is just pointless in my opinion.

I don't think it adds anything to the game other than making the general ilvl of gear rise faster. It should just be scrapped completely. Whether something like being able to buy gem sockets gets put in its place I'm not sure, but item upgrades just haven't really added anything useful to gearing up in MoP.

Interested to know what everyone else feels about this.

I like item upgrades.

Without the item upgrades, Valor would server no purpose right now. I don't mind them, but I do think they feel "mandatory," and might need to be reduced or removed like reforging, enchants, and gem slots if Blizzard is serious about "simplifying" the gear preparation process after receiving a new piece.

I'd rather they keep the item level upgrade as the mechanism of nerfing content than the outright nerfing of content that they've done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosstafa View Post
    Honestly, this is one of the features MoP could have done without. It just feels like an unnecessary valor sink. I can deal with having to get new gems and enchants when I get new gear, those are cool, but having to farm another 500 valor per item is just pointless in my opinion.

I don't think it adds anything to the game other than making the general ilvl of gear rise faster. It should just be scrapped completely. Whether something like being able to buy gem sockets gets put in its place I'm not sure, but item upgrades just haven't really added anything useful to gearing up in MoP.

Interested to know what everyone else feels about this.
    Upgrading your gear with Valor points is one of the highlights of MoP in my opinion. Being able to use Valor in this manner allows Valor to keep value well into raiding. In the past, once you actually got into normal mode raiding, Valor was meaningless except for at a few points in the past where you could buy trade goods with it and make some coin.

Gems and enchants -> go to AH (or craft, but MOST go to AH).
    Valor -> Go do content.

I get the change, but only if earning Valor becomes a bit easier than now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with you op. Especially when I consider the new stat system in wod. I hope upgrading goes out the window with reforging. Upgrading sucks.

It does serve purpose but the ilvl should go down from 8 to 6 or something like that. Too much power inflation
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

i like item upgrade but think it should be gated...

like "you can only start upgrading items after 2 months of raiding that tier"... "then it would feel kinda like a buff or nerf to content"! right now it does kinda feels like OP says! Just an additional stuff you have to do to all your gear...
    I don't really care about having to farm valor to upgrade gear! but I'd like to have it feel more like a buff than an hassle!

you should only have access to item upgrade when guilds start getting stuck on harder bosses! When everyone has their servers firsts, etc

15+ Year Old Account
    I rather use VP for upgrades than buy rep gear
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

I pretty much agree with Daetur's point. Right now upgrading your gear is a straight up sign of "are you even trying to play right or aren't you?" There's no inbetween with it as you can't even buy valor gear at current LFR ilvl. In WoD it would seem kind of vestigial with the reforger also gone.

I'd prefer something like the spirits of harmony vendor, but with valor and more items. That way your valor can be lucrative even if you don't buy items that will directly help you.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    hell no there's isn't much to do with valor without item upgrade.
    game is going into extreme easy mode,they removing reforge and stats are getting even more basic.

don't want item upgrade then don't use it. its already Nerf the cost.

game getting less costume made and more simple minded. hell no quiver for hunters rogue have there poison auto Spell make.
    spells no longer require regents item to be use.

It actually does add something to the game, you know they said that the reason they didn't need to do ICC or DS-style stacking buffs/debuffs or FL-style blanket nerfs in MoP raids is that VP upgrades smoothed out the speed bumps in the difficulty curve. So item upgrades = old raid nerfs not necessary.

Anyway, I happen to like it. Once reforging is removed it'll be something I can do to tweak my gear, and gives me a long tail on VP. Unlike previous expansions where I got all my VP gear in a few weeks and then had nothing to do with it (except selling VP BoEs, man I miss that :P).

Quote Originally Posted by Rosstafa View Post
    It just feels like an unnecessary valor sink.
    But it's the only thing VP is actually useful for?

We'll have to wait and see if Blizzard releases VP gear in WoD or sticks to the SoO model.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yunito View Post
    hell no there's isn't much to do with valor without item upgrade.
    game is going into extreme easy mode,they removing reforge and stats are getting even more basic.
    They're removing unattractive static stats you don't interact with and replacing them with a heap more stats, many of which are very interesting. It's actually the most new stats any expansion has ever added.

Removing reforge doesn't make it easymode lol. Reforge = click a button on my addon. It added zero difficulty or challenge to the game. In fact it made getting gear less of an impact because eg if you wanted crit but got haste, well fuck it you can just reforge it anyway. In WoD you will actually care a lot more about getting the crit piece versus the haste piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Without the item upgrades, Valor would server no purpose right now.
    We could just get rid of Valor at the same time.

Given how bungled the JP/VP gear thing was in MoP (mostly due to rep requirements), I wouldn't be surprised if they junked the system completely.

I think it's a good system for the odd patch numbers. i.e 6.1 6.3 but I hope they add new valor items in the even patches 6.0,2,4.

I just hope it doesnt turn into a lazy way of creating less items.

I miss the valor vendors tbh, especially the BoE gear we saw in Wrath and Cata. Gave us a way to supplement our gear if we got a string of bad drop luck and could use excess on gear for alts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Get rid of the item upgrade, and bring back valor gear and valor <-> conquest conversions

They could definitely make it more interesting, like instead of adding straight up power to gear, maybe let it add/modify those new tertiary stats that are being added.

Getting a piece of gear and having to click "Upgrade" at a vendor twice for some item levels is really not interesting or compelling in the slightest, it's worse than enchanting/gemming/reforging by a long shot and some people seem to think getting rid of them is a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    With bonus rolls and diminished returns on failed rolls, I could see them removing Valour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Gems and enchants -> go to AH (or craft, but MOST go to AH).
    Valor -> Go do content.

I get the change, but only if earning Valor becomes a bit easier than now.
    And going to do content is just SO antithetical to playing a game.... wait, what?

Upgrades are fine. They serve to give you something to strive for if you want and they're defacto content nerfs. God, you people want everything as simple as possible and then you'll look around and go "UNSUBBING! NOTHING TO DO!!!"