Poll: Should gamers be treated as pro athletes?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Sure. Just because the very notion of it will piss off all the random meat head jocks in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Fatties will never be able to play football with those in peak condition. Having weight behind a block is good, but it matters for shit all against anyone who actually belongs on the field.
    13 years old, has plenty of time to grow, fictional character, and anyone can play football with the right amount of dedication... Just like anyone can be an athlete if they put in the hours, or if they choose a silly sport like curling or shooting, ROFL!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gamers in general, no. Professional gamers, absolutely yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    This question gets asked all the time on here. No, playing a video game = professional level athlete.
    playing a video game is like playing a random sport in the neighborhood or local gym. If there were people interested in viewing video games played on a more competitive level, then yes, some gamers should be treated in a manner similar to the position.

BUt really there aren't many games around right now that would warrant such treatment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    13 years old, has plenty of time to grow, fictional character, and anyone can play football with the right amount of dedication... Just like anyone can be an athlete if they put in the hours, or if they choose a silly sport like curling or shooting, ROFL!
    definitely not PRO.
    Edit- and I think you are underestimating these sports.
    Last edited by mmocca692ad70b; 2013-12-13 at 10:15 PM.

I defiantly think its time to give them a title, but maybe not something that shares anything with actual sports.

Seing how good some off them plays, like inn RTS are just mind blowing. Its like there 2 people when you compare to average guy...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    Definitions are important when classifying something like this...
    "A person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill."

Gaming does not require any of these, and the "dexterity" needed to do well in these games is almost completely mitigated by macros and computer mice like the Razer Naga.
    I'd like to see you play against these guys. See how long it takes you to even kill ONE of their units. I'd give you a good month of practice before you could even dent one. Hell, I'll even grant you map hacks and other cheats, but you would still get owned.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you think anyway because it's already happening. Get used to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I defiantly think its time to give them a title, but maybe not something that shares anything with actual sports.

Seing how good some off them plays, like inn RTS are just mind blowing. Its like there 2 people when you compare to average guy...
    yes, definitely. It is a sport in its wide meaning as something where at least to sides compete. But as neither chess players are athletes nor the gamers.

Of course not, don't be silly. Gamers are in no way athletes, and it's completely insane to think they are.

Anybody can be a "professional gamer" you just need lots of free time to dedicate to one game in particular. Being a professional athlete is something very very few people can do, regardless of how much free time you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Of course not, don't be silly. Gamers are in no way athletes, and it's completely insane to think they are.

Anybody can be a "professional gamer" you just need lots of free time to dedicate to one game in particular. Being a professional athlete is something very very few people can do, regardless of how much free time you have.
    So, if someone payed your rent and allowed you to play Starcraft2 for a year, 14ish hours a day, do you think you will be as good as some of them that have been playing and training for as long as they have? Do you think you can even dedicate that much time into playing the game? I dare you, at your next day off, to play the multiplayer game for at least four hours. See how fast you quit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    Gaming does not require any of these, and the "dexterity" needed to do well in these games is almost completely mitigated by macros and computer mice like the Razer Naga.
    Except you're not allowed to use any macro's, at least in Starcraft 2.

Source: http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9687/macros.png
    Last edited by mmoc40f44cec44; 2013-12-13 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I have a hard time treating anyone as an athlete who is not sound in both mind and body.
    But that's the thing ... even gamers go to gym. If you look at some of the training techniques in Korea, players there go to gym, have to follow diets, do hand exercises ... it's not as apparent in EU or US but even there pro gamers go to gym. You won't last if you just sit all day long playing games.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

the issue is labeling gamers as athletes I suppose

not every competitive activity has athletes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    But that's the thing ... even gamers go to gym. If you look at some of the training techniques in Korea, players there go to gym, have to follow diets, do hand exercises ... it's not as apparent in EU or US but even there pro gamers go to gym. You won't last if you just sit all day long playing games.
    Not to mention all the trouble they get with their wrists and nerves even with all of that. Quite a few end up needing surgery.

The less obvious consequences of pro gamers being treated as athletes is that thanks to it you can take advantage of all the legislative mechanisms created for athletes. Getting work visas when you have to move across continents to join a new team, getting credit cards ... stuff like that.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    I just passed by this

http://kotaku.com/starcraft-player-g...ili-1481485630

and I gotta say that I'm astonished.

Do you agree that an e-sport gamer should get a salary and a visa like a fellow who lifts weights or runs X miles a day or swims 5 hours in a pool everyday or a mountain climber that risks injury or even death? Someone, and I quote "...is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina."?
    Compulsory military service is a thing of the past, I thought South Korea had moved on by now... :|
    Last edited by Vargur; 2013-12-13 at 11:15 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Compulsory military service is a thing of the past, I thought South Korea has moved on by now... :|
    There are still a number of countries that have compulsory military service nowadays. They're fewer in number, but it's absolutely still a thing.

It's a pretty pointless question, since it hinges on whether one defines an athlete by its competitiveness or by how much physical activity is involved, and everybody and their mother has a different opinion about that shit.

But yes. They should. Pro gamers are paid, they travel around the world for competitions, they sign contracts, they do endorsement deals, and have to train their skills in their chosen game for extremely lengthy amounts of time to get as good as they do. Barring some silly 'requirement' for there to be intense physical activity involved, they already meet all the standards for pro athletes.

Deleted
    A person who is involved in Athletics (sport), which involves track and field events, long distance, cross-country and road running, and race walking
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlete

Full Definition of ATHLETE

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/athlete

I thought calling it a sport was already pushing it, but athlete? Really?

Deleted
    In the same way obese people should be labeled crippled.