Looking to get more ram

I have a PC running right now 8gb-1600 memory in slot 1 and 3 for a asrock extreme 4 motherboard.
    I am Looking to upgrade to 16 gb of ram.
    Would I be able to put say 16 gb of 1866 in slots 2 and 4 and leave the memory thats in slots 1&3 and have a total of 24 gb?
    I think I read that it downclocks to the lowest speed? So would that be 24gb of 1600 ram?
    Or would it just be better for to take those other 2 sticks that are currently in there and put in the 2 matching dimms that I buy and leave it at the 16gb.

If I take them out I am hoping to be able to put them in the wifes pc cuz then that would give her 16 gb or ram also. or is it even possible to use 2 diff sets of ram?

Wonderful Sig made by Torgerd

its always better to have same type of memory sticks, otherwise they may have complications.

15+ Year Old Account
    16Gb of matching RAM in dual channel mode is a safer bet than 24Gb of hotch-potch RAM.

You'll barely notice the difference unless you have fifty Google Chrome tabs and a Minecraft server running anyway.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Also, im pretty sure your 1866 ram will get throttled down to 1600 anyway. no reason in buying faster ram that what you currently have if youre not going to take the current/old ram out

it wont be hodgepodged. (well kinda)

I have 2 matching sticks in 1&3 and then there would be 2 matching sticks in 3&4. If it is dual channel anyways then it be okay? I am just curious, dont know memory is why I am asking. Just curious, is all.

Wonderful Sig made by Torgerd

Deleted
    What work do you do to need that much ram?