The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Upgrade from a ATI HD5850 - And a 120hz display

Hi there.

My brother is asking for a new GPU and a 120hz dispay for christmas. He is gonna use it for Battlefield 4 mainly, since thats the most demanding game he plays.

I have no idea what to look for. The last GPU I bought were a 670 GTX, and since then I havent been looking at GPUs. And 120hz displays I dont know anything about at all.

Can you help me out? Hes asking for something above 22 inch regarding the display.

Deleted
    Does he need a 120hz screen? You would need to get a top end card to game @ 120fps or you end up at 60 fps with vsync or loads of tearing.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Does he need a 120hz screen? You would need to get a top end card to game @ 120fps or you end up at 60 fps with vsync or loads of tearing.
    He already got one now, the Samsung 2332 rz or what its called. He seems to like that display, but he said he wanted something bigger than that and still 120hz. I have no idea about tearing and stuff like that. Honestly, I almost cant see the difference between 60 and 120hz so its not up for me to decide.

Deleted
    If you want to get 120 fps in BF4 at 1080p, max quality, you'd need at least dual or triple SLI 780 for a consistent experience. Of course he could turn down the settings, but 120 fps is not feasible with single gpu, though you'd still get a better experience if than if he just went with a 780 + random 60Hz screen.

*edit

I just read he already has the screen, then he'd probably want a 780 or r9 290/290x to crank up those settings, while keeping optimal performance.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    If you want to get 120 fps in BF4 at 1080p, max quality, you'd need at least dual or triple SLI 780 for a consistent experience. Of course he could turn down the settings, but 120 fps is not feasible with single gpu, though you'd still get a better experience if than if he just went with a 780 + random 60Hz screen.

*edit

I just read he already has the screen, then he'd probably want a 780 or r9 290/290x to crank up those settings, while keeping optimal performance.
    Yeah, he already got a 120hz display, but he wants a newer and bigger one. I think that I need to talk to him and tell him, that he cant get decent 120hz with a single GPU.

A Sapphire RADEON R9 290 costs 496$ here and theres plenty in storage. A Club 3D Radeon R9 280X (3 GB) costs 386$, and also plenty in storage. Should we go for one of those?

Deleted
    the 280x performs without problems in BF4 (we are talking 1920x1080 yeah?) though the 290 is slightly better, though you can check out the numbers yourself and see if the price difference is worth it for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rk,3659-6.html

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    the 280x performs without problems in BF4 (we are talking 1920x1080 yeah?) though the 290 is slightly better, though you can check out the numbers yourself and see if the price difference is worth it for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rk,3659-6.html
    His current display is a Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ, so I got it wrong the first time. Its actually only a 1680 x 1050.

Deleted
    Well then it's a tad bit easier to gain higher FPS, but nonetheless what I said above still stands, if the 290 is good enough for you to dish out the money, by all means go for it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the better choice for him/me is gonna be the 280X.

Thanks alot for the help