Deleted

LF Levelling Priest Healing basics guides...

Ohai everybody!

So I've just started to level a gnome priest (discipline) and she's currently level 32. I was wondering if someone could point me to somewhere (or just help me out here) that would give me a rundown on rotation whilst levelling etc. I've never played a healer before so it's all fairly new to me in terms of the concepts, but I've been playing since WotLK so I don't really need a new-to-WoW guide either: at max level I've got my main, a ret pala with prot OS, a sub rogue, a fire mage and a demo lock, so I've always been DPS focused before in the main, with a bit of tanking as well.

What I'm looking for is something that says what I should be doing, what I should add in to my rotation at level X once I get it and how I should be healing. So, currently I keep Power Word: Shield and Renew ticking on everyone as much as possible and then boost the tank up with Penance and Flash Heal when needed quickly for anyone who is losing health. Is this about right? Equally, something similar for Holy would be grand as I've decided to have it as my OS. Thanks in advance everyone.
    Last edited by mmoc02f4a918c1; 2013-12-17 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Corrected an incorrect spell name

Spam penance, smite and holy fire on enemies. PWS the tank if you feel like it.

That'll work up until heroic raiding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrantWave View Post

That'll work up until heroic raiding.
    How can you spam something with a 9 second CD though?

Deleted
    There's not much to say about levelling : mostly use holy fire, smite, penance and sw :P when available.

For the healing part, go to icy veins . com . There are a few guides here that start with the basic things to do as a healer and more advanced guides for your class in particuliar.
    When you reach lvl 90, you can also read the guides on H2P . com (how to priest) and all the *help my disc priest* topics in this forum. Both of them are really, really helpful.

I did level my priest as discipline up to 85 lvl. It was even faster than shadow on questing imo.
    For healing: Use penance on cooldown if lots of healing is needed (cause it is cheap and powerful), use flash only if person is dying, other than that, dont use it.
    Because of atonement you will be healing ppl when you use smite and holy fire. For me, full heirloom gear with enchants, it was enough healing till 80lvl. After that, I used penance there and there.
    On questing: one penance and holy fire should be enough to kill any mob.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darksmiter View Post
    How can you spam something with a 9 second CD though?
    You press its keybind really hard.

Deleted
    You press its keybind really hard.

Cheers all for the input, guess I'll crack on like you've directed above. I'm thinking of mixing up the levelling with Holy so that I have an understanding of two different specs: any chance anyone could explain the basics of Holy in a similar way for me. Obviously I'll be at Icy Veins, and H2P now I know of that site, once I'm maxed up and looking to raid, but these overviews are dead helpful. I'm trying to mix the specs up as I go along 'cos you never know which is going to be better at the endgame and it's better to learn both specs as you go along. Plus of the two priest healers I respect the most they both preferred Holy, but recommended Disc for levelling.

this won't work until level 38, which is when you get Atonement (disc only) which heals for when you do damage with penance, smite, and holy fire

Plus of the two priest healers I respect the most they both preferred Holy, but recommended Disc for levelling.
    disc is currently better than holy, but until you do any serious raiding, it won't matter which you choose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeelot View Post
    disc is currently better than holy, but until you do any serious raiding, it won't matter which you choose
    idd... this is much maligned by them both; one chose to alternate between pally healer and monk healer as their mains during most of MoP and the other has continued as Disc and Holy afaik. But both loved Holy more during Cata for sure.

Also, thanks for paying attention to my level and noting that Atonement isn't available to me yet (I'm only 32 atm) - it's stuff like that which I wanted pointing out to me. So the point of Disc then is to heal via damaging the enemy? How does this differ to the playstyle of Holy.

Should I put Renew on the people in my group as standard atm in dungeons - is that a Disc thing, a Holy thing or neither? I'm looking to get into good habits, so even if it's not necessary atm if it is likely to be similar to a mechanic I'll need at higher level then I'd like to start doing it now.

And when do you guys recommend getting healing addons, e.g. Vuhdo or what not. Currently I use ElvUI but don't know how malleable that is for healing.

Elvui works great for healing, just set up mouseover macros or use clique. Endgame you will almost never renew someone if it isn't for procing Twist of Faith or something of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeelot View Post

When I leveled my disc with full enchanted heirlooms and pirate ring, I was consistently on top of DPS as well as keeping everyone alive.
    It made the grind more enjoyable as I felt as there was never a dull moment.

Also, thanks for paying attention to my level and noting that Atonement isn't available to me yet (I'm only 32 atm) - it's stuff like that which I wanted pointing out to me. So the point of Disc then is to heal via damaging the enemy? How does this differ to the playstyle of Holy.
    Once you get Atonement, that will be in the top of all your heals for the rest of your Disc Career. Disc plays a bit more Pro-active rather then Re-Active Holy with Divine Aegis and Spirit Shell, You're preparing for the DMG before the DMG is being done.

Should I put Renew on the people in my group as standard atm in dungeons - is that a Disc thing, a Holy thing or neither? I'm looking to get into good habits, so even if it's not necessary atm if it is likely to be similar to a mechanic I'll need at higher level then I'd like to start doing it now.
    For now, yes but I can not recalling using renew past getting Atonement. At your leveling I was using PW:S and Renew as I was using Heirlooms a tick would heal almost everyone to full. PW:S is used throughout leveling and HC Raiding taking advantage of Rapture.

And when do you guys recommend getting healing addons, e.g. Vuhdo or what not. Currently I use ElvUI but don't know how malleable that is for healing.
    Just as dahri said, MouseOver! Penance is a sure fire mouseover. Your on an enemy, does DMG. Need that HIGH INC DMG Heal while moving, Penance FTW. Mouseover works very well with all of your situational spells, VS, LOF PS, as you may never know who you need to cast on and when.

Personal WOA: Look ahead at what spells you have coming to you. Set up those key binds now. By doing this now, you don't have to "change" your fingers memory in the future. I just kept adding and adding the new spells as they came in, and the first bit of 90 was a little rough because I had to "readjust" my keybinds and relearn the "reactive" spells. You know how embarrassing it is to LOF someone when you thought you were casting VS?
    Last edited by Nalda; 2013-12-17 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Answered OP