Poll: Do you read up / watch videos on the new raid fights before you attempt them?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    As RL it was kind of my "job" to read up all the fights. Not always easy with working and family commitments. One of the reasons I don't lead (or play really) anymore

I watch PTR boss testing streams because I think it's really cool seeing the raid before anyone else has. From that I am usually aware of the strategies before the raid hits live servers.

I go in blind. It's more fun to know what's not coming. And really, in one pull, you pretty much figure it all out anyways.

That would completely eliminate the fun for me. I want to figure out things for myself, not read a guide or download a mod that does it for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Yes, but I'm also raid leader.
    She makes us read up for hours on every fight

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    You can't thoroughly learn a fight without ever having attempted it before.

I do read the fights before we go into them for the first time in our 10 man raid but we also try alternate strats or change things up depending on what is going wrong for us.
    Someone has never played the Teron Gorefiend minigame.

http://www.variuse.de/feroxtgs2/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I think your attitude is toxic, and I highly doubt you read every fight / watch videos on every fight before going into them, especially if you said you fail and not know what to do going in.

If people took time to ACTUALLY LEARN the fights. Study them. Watch the videos / read the strats (ya know, understand each and every one of the boss' abilities and know how it affects the raid) you would not fail so hard, and look like an idiot when attempting for the first time.
    I don't play WoW anymore. And yes, I did read and learn every fight to the best I possibly could. But like I said, you can only learn so much from reading a book. You truly learn once you get experience in, and people like you seem to take people who are still experiencing things for the first time and are toxic towards them. Of course I don't know if you do this but the attitude of your original post seems to lead to that.

If I taught you how to build your own web page it'd take you a few tries before you made one clean and free of bugs, you wouldn't get it perfect right away... in fact the first attempt you might not even get the page fully working. Same thing goes for boss fights in WoW. It takes experience.

EDIT: That attitude you just showed is that elitist attitude I'm talking about. Being snarky as hell, turning failure on someone's behalf into name calling, and assumming the worst of a person instead. First thing you said was you bet that I didn't do something, even though I told you I did. You probably took my words too literally, I didn't fail on every boss fight the first time, but there were more than one instance where I did even though I tried to learn the strats and boss mechanics to the best of my ability.

And don't even act like you haven't been there.
    Last edited by Xl House lX; 2013-12-17 at 12:59 AM.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    Your attitude is one of the reasons why I stopped raiding back when I did play WoW. Did I watch videos learn about the fights before I went into the encounter? Yes. Did I still fail because it was my first attempt? Yes. Did I get virtually yelled at for failing? Yes.

You can read and learn about how to do something in a book all damn day, but nothing compares to learning on the spot. People in WoW, especially when it comes to the topic of raiding, have this ULTRA elitist attitude that everyone should be perfect, know 100% everything about their class, should be geared 100% to their expectations (which are usually higher than what is required), and should fail 0% of the time. This is something I would expect from a world first-type guild, not from anything below heroic raiding. Its so toxic and it really doesn't help WoW's case at all.
    My thoughts exactly.

It's why LFR was made in the first place: Raiding Guilds shut out folks they didn't deem worthy. The WoW Community repeatedly demonstrates it can't self-regulate so Blizzard has to step in and even things for those who are left out. Why should my friend who has been playing WoW for 6 years and pays the same sub I do have to miss out on raiding despite being geared enough and being competent have to miss out on raiding because they don't measure up to the raiding community's traditionally unrealistic expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    You can't thoroughly learn a fight without ever having attempted it before.
    And yet raiders have the unrealistic expectation ressearch and addons alone are enough >.>;
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

I don't play WoW anymore. And yes, I did read and learn every fight to the best I possibly could. But like I said, you can only learn so much from reading a book. You truly learn once you get experience in, and people like you seem to take people who are still experiencing things for the first time and are toxic towards them. Of course I don't know if you do this but the attitude of your original post seems to lead to that.

If I taught you how to build your own web page it'd take you a few tries before you made one clean and free of bugs, you wouldn't get it perfect right away... in fact the first attempt you might not even get the page fully working. Same thing goes for boss fights in WoW. It takes experience.

EDIT: That attitude you just showed is that elitist attitude I'm talking about. Being snarky as hell, turning failure on someone's behalf into name calling, and assumming the worst of a person instead. First thing you said was you bet that I didn't do something, even though I told you I did. You probably took my words too literally, I didn't fail on every boss fight the first time, but there were more than one instance where I did even though I tried to learn the strats and boss mechanics to the best of my ability.

Yes, there is only so much you can learn. But not opening the book in the first place is ridiculous when others depend in you. If I was in a Garrosh fight and saw somebody clipped by an Ironstar because they don't know how far our it stretches, that's one thing. The person standing right there tunneling the boss is another.

His attitude is not elitist in the slightest. Come prepared to a group or don't come at all, especially in pugs. If you fuck up I'm not going to say good job honey, in gonna tell you to stop screwing up. If it continues I'll tell you to L2P. There is barely missing a pool on Malkorok and then there is blowing the raid up in phase 2. If you want experience then find a group willing to learn with you, don't throw yourself at a pug and expect them to sugar coat everything.

P.S. using empty buzzwords like toxic is bad for your argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

It's why LFR was made in the first place: Raiding Guilds shut out folks they didn't deem worthy. The WoW Community repeatedly demonstrates it can't self-regulate so Blizzard has to step in and even things for those who are left out. Why should my friend who has been playing WoW for 6 years and pays the same sub I do have to miss out on raiding despite being geared enough and being competent have to miss out on raiding because they don't measure up to the raiding community's traditionally unrealistic expectations?

And yet raiders have the unrealistic expectation ressearch and addons alone are enough >.>;
    Here's the thing, raiders don't need to take you in their groups. You are fully capable of forming your own raid team and being 2/14 for the entirety of this patch. Raiders were not restricting anybody from anything, they just weren't willing to bring you along when they have done the majority of work already. None of of the expectations are unrealistic, there are blind players who raid Jonas. The expectation from a raid group is don't suck, unfortunately most people can't meet this expectation.

Again there is a difference between making a simple and minor mistake and standing in front of Thok. Research is enough to know that and yet he kills more people than elevators do.

usually read the dungeon journal but when i did SoO wing 2 and 3 for the first time i just winged it. i did pay attention though to the mechanics
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Yes, I read about fights prior to attempting them even in LFR, because it's easy to do and it increases the chance of my group to complete them. I actually read about holiday bosses as well.

The only time where I try first and read second (if that's necessary) is if I am soloing something. Then again, I read about Proving Grounds or legendary scenarios before completing them, because I heard that they aren't faceroll (so, why waste time on the first mindless try?).
    Last edited by rda; 2013-12-17 at 05:50 AM.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to but now I just do LFR. It's no fun knowing what to expect before you even see the content.

When I was serious about raiding I would always do my homework but that got me burnt out really fast so now I just focus on playing the game and treating it like a game instead of a job and it is far more rewarding.

I should also add that I don't raid with a guild anymore so there is no pressure. I don't think PuGs should be required to watch videos and I know a lot of you will disagree, I had this mentality once, it seems like you are wasting other people's time if you don't know your stuff but I would counter with the argument that if you wanted everyone to be on top of their game you would just raid with a guild.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    usually read the dungeon journal but when i did SoO wing 2 and 3 for the first time i just winged it. i did pay attention though to the mechanics
    I think the game does a really good job of letting you just wing it. Especially if you use DBM.
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2013-12-17 at 06:16 AM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Elitist? I wanna play.

As much as it kills me to say I agree with Jaylock, you walk into a raid with your character completely optimized and knowing as much of the fight as you possibly can if you're a serious progression heroic raider. If you don't do that then you're hurting the people you're raiding with. Of course I don't expect you to read a guide or watch a video and be a master on the encounter, but you should thoroughly know it.

If you're not a serious progression raider than it doesn't really matter if you know the fight or not.

I think *not* watching a video/reading some GENERAL tactics is disrespecting other raiders and their time. Especially in the higher end of content.

That being said, you need to "tie it all together" by doing the fight.

Research, application, analysis, adjustment/experimentation -> success. In that order.

15+ Year Old Account
    I generally wing it. Used with DMB, GTFO and paying attention to the environment it usually is pretty easy to pick up on what to do. Sure I might miss a few prepositionings and stuff but as I do LFR there will always be 5 guys yelling in caps what to do anyway.

I usually read up on them and watch videos, but I can NOT learn a raid fight from a video-- I tend to get horribly disoriented if I'm not the one controlling the camera. I have to actually get in there and do it before it clicks. There have been rare exceptions-- for example, back in mid-Cata (late 4.1, I believe) I once got begged to pug into a raid that was on Cho'gall normal and had just lost a tank. I was apparently the only tank they could find at that time of night, despite my lack of experience and shaky gear. So I went in and I tanked that fight with zero research or preparation. (Okay, and caused two or three wipes in the process of learning it, but we got him down. I spent over a year with Cho'gall as my only boss killed in BoT.) And this expansion I did one of the SoO LFR wings blind because I had a three minute DPS queue, somehow. I had planned to spend the queue time reading up on the fights.

LFR is actually massively helpful in terms of learning fights-- while the mechanics are softened, they are very rarely entirely removed (and when they are, it's still less of a burden to learn one or two new mechanics than to learn them all.) As long as you go in knowing that the stuff you can just eat in LFR will kill you in normal and above, then it is a good learning tool. Not to mention that having the oneshot mechanic not oneshot you (so you can keep on practicing instead of being out) is nice.
    Last edited by Dawnshadow; 2013-12-17 at 06:33 AM.

Used to read up and watch videos of tricky mechanics, that was back in WOTLK.

In Cataclysm, I haven't read or watched anything. Neither did I in MOP.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I join later in the patch or start with a team later where there is guides out i do.

But otherwise I read up on the dungeon journal and generate my own. at least I did this when I was raid leader.
    Don't raid normal atm
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Even looking it up. It feels WAY different then a guide telling me what to do. Time and time again this has proven true. Doing it myself has been more of a learning experience for me then looking it up. If that's bad to some people, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi