Poll: Do you read up / watch videos on the new raid fights before you attempt them?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    nope.

my raid leaders would always explain everything beforehand anyway and written tactics always seemed to make everything look so complicated (when in reality most fights were really simple, just a matter of practice).
    If written texts seem too complicated, you're doing it wrong. The key is to reduce every fight down to the 1-2 abilities that are of actual interest to your role. I'm a melee, I don't care if healers have to dispell X or ranges have to group hug in AE somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    custom UIs = fuck this.
    Yeah, I hate to watch videos with someone using custom UI. Most of the time they look like a mess and only really readable for the guy who made it.

My guildies hate my blizzard ui evangelism though. Last time I told them how you don't have to configure keybindings on the basic UI because they are server side; the guy who had just deleted his WTF folder to get into the game at all was clearly slightly pissed.

10+ Year Old Account
    i always watch a video or two beforehand and try to do a little background research for class-specific nuances.
    archdruid valentyne -- kel'thuzad, us | RP & M+ PVE

I never did before i got RL.
    Before that i just ignored it all, including what my RL told and went cold in. Found that more fun, and still do.
    I made a habit of telling as little as possible. Just "don't stand in fire, except this fire", for the first time so people have a chance to see it on their own.
    After that i can tell what i know about the fight, but i think it's part of the interesting thing with raiding. Seeing a new boss and find out how he works.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes,kind of hard to progress anything without knowledge of the mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I think your attitude is toxic, and I highly doubt you read every fight / watch videos on every fight before going into them, especially if you said you fail and not know what to do going in.
    Toxic? What is toxic about wanting to learn by doing? Don't get me wrong, I say that before I get invited and I do adjust to other people. Usually the raid fails now and then even though people have read up tactics, so i usually catch up anyway. I also ask if something is unclear. I'm sorry but I don't understand the "toxic" part.

If people took time to ACTUALLY LEARN the fights. Study them. Watch the videos / read the strats (ya know, understand each and every one of the boss' abilities and know how it affects the raid) you would not fail so hard, and look like an idiot when attempting for the first time.
    Indeed quite obvious but nonetheless true. However, one can still fail, even after reading up. So I guess you can only look a bit less dumb when doing it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    Someone has never played the Teron Gorefiend minigame.

http://www.variuse.de/feroxtgs2/
    YEAH! Completely forgotten about that one. Good ol' times, good ol' times! Thank you! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    ..groups expecting to be carried.
    Agree with that part, I dislike people wanting to be carried. However, I do like people who want experience, different sides though!
    Last edited by Zephire; 2013-12-17 at 02:01 PM.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

For LFR, I briefly glance at online strats to get an idea of what the bosses do, but that's about it.

I haven't raided seriously (as in, with a guild and doing normal/heroic modes) since Cataclysm, but I'd always take the time to watch YouTube videos and read detailed strats on bosses back then. I never went to a new boss fight without having some understanding of how the fight worked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    That's not smart. That's lazy and self-entitled. They are obviously not playing the game for a challenge, but for loot. If you want to cheat by spoiling the fights ahead of time by all means do so. No one's going to stop you. Don't, however, disparage others because they actually want to play the game and challenge themselves. They are not "unwilling to be smart." They just want to experience the game and figure out the fights for themselves without having to conform to someone else's script. Just because you'd rather paint by numbers doesn't make the guy who is painting free-form less talented than you.
    "Playing the game, and wanting a challenge" is wasting 24 other people's time, especially when the majority of the raid members have already read up and understand the fight conceptually and their role in the fight.

Its just plain rude, lazy, and entitled to expect to be carried / explained through a fight. Not to mention you being dead for the first 5 attempts and then going "oh my bad I had my head in my ass and didn't know what to do.

REAL raiders expect that people take some self responsibility to learn before they go into the fights. I guess not real "raiders" who are LFR heroes can get away with being unprepared and blindly walk into the fights because of herpa derp determination.

10+ Year Old Account
    during progression i almost never read up on fights.

i just went in, died, read combat logs, adjust buff/debuff filters, played like a boss by attempt number 3.

also, the benefits of everyone learning at the same time are wonderful. fuck pugging.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    I used to out of respect for my raid members. I didn't want to be the one to mess up. Not anymore. It's LFR or Flex Oqueue, neither of which is real raiding and we never so much as need vent for those.
    yeah pretty much this. i don't even use timers anymore. i find handling mechanics on the fly much more interesting, especially when there's no consequence to fucking up on easy mode.
    Last edited by Racthoh; 2013-12-17 at 03:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, of course. Ever since classic I have done so.

I still fear my good old raidleader will show up on my door or something, asking me to explain the fight to the rest. He would always ask someone random to do just that, and it worked with making sure people did read up and prepare for fights.

Why would you not do it ? I mean you potentially end up spending more time on something silly, because you where to lazy to spend a few minutes to at the very least know your role. Waste of your time and others.

Deleted
    Heroic mode I tend to read up and research for as much info as possible for the boss we are gonna attempt and the boss after that

"Playing the game, and wanting a challenge" is wasting 24 other people's time, especially when the majority of the raid members have already read up and understand the fight conceptually and their role in the fight.
    Those 24 other people should know what they're walking into. If they're going into LFR they should be prepared to play with others who are encountering the fight for the first time with no preparation. If they're running an organized raid they should have set expectations ahead of time so that there were no misunderstandings. By "24 other people" you really mean your time because I'm pretty sure you haven't polled everyone I've ever run with to determine whether or not they thought I was wasting their time. This, ironically, is the entitled attitude that you're complaining about. You're not entitled to a flawless run with 24 experienced raiders when you queue up for a random group.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Deleted
    Yeah, I really enjoy reading up on boss mechanics beforehand and try to work out my role during the fight!

- Rift

Too general to discuss.
    Two completely different situations here, that should be treated separately.

If we are talking casual raiding (IE flex or even LFR) then it is quite acceptable to not look up the encounters beforehand, as you have very little expectation and aren't focused on speed or efficiency.

However, if we are talking progression raiding (even through normals) if you have not looked up the fight beforehand you have done a great disservice to your guild.
    If you take raiding at all serious you should spend 5 minutes preparing for the progression target.
    No reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    Those 24 other people should know what they're walking into. If they're going into LFR they should be prepared to play with others who are encountering the fight for the first time with no preparation. If they're running an organized raid they should have set expectations ahead of time so that there were no misunderstandings. By "24 other people" you really mean your time because I'm pretty sure you haven't polled everyone I've ever run with to determine whether or not they thought I was wasting their time. This, ironically, is the entitled attitude that you're complaining about. You're not entitled to a flawless run with 24 experienced raiders when you queue up for a random group.
    No you shouldn't. Its a problem that being unprepared is the standard. the journal was added for a reason. You ARE wasting other people's time, whether they are in a rush about it or not. Stop being entitled and contribute properly to a group environment rather than advocate laziness and a lack of dedication to a collective cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    That would completely eliminate the fun for me. I want to figure out things for myself, not read a guide or download a mod that does it for me.
    Running into a raid with some kind of fire bomb on you will eliminate the "fun" of the other 24 people in your group.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
    Running into a raid with some kind of fire bomb on you will eliminate the "fun" of the other 24 people in your group.
    I think it more less depends on the previous gaming/wow experience of a person. I didn't ready any tactics before hand and just popped in LFR and did quite well. Because as silly it may be but most of the "different" boss mechanics in wow are basically don't stand in most of the shiny stuff,stack now,don't stack now and focus adds.

I used to, but no longer. I usually just assume that the encounter is going to be similar to a previous one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to but not anymore. There is no need when all blizzard does is reuse old mechanics. It is easy to work out fights first go when you did the same thing years ago just with a different boss model.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    This where I always say how people take this game WAY too seriously. Do you read up on a boss fight when you're playing a console game like say Halo or something? No. So why should people get all studious about WoW just to please you? This is why I just raid in LFR because everybody in this game expects you to know what to do, what the boss does, and how to rotate your abilities/spells whether it's your first time ever in the dungeon or you're a new player to WoW altogether. I find it ridiculous how people want you to go on youtube and look up a boss fight and "study" it so that the group doesn't wipe or whatever, it's just so stupid. This is why people can't just play the game and have fun with it because of people like this. They like to act like they're at a job and they're the boss. Well I hate to say it but you're not the boss of anybody and you're playing an online computer game that deals with magic, monsters and other fantasy things that a 5 year old would play with. So do us all a favor and lighten up.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe