Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Mother of god, this news is making the last hour of work drag on lol

"DayZ standalone is out!"

*Early access Alpha for 24€*

Yeahhhh... "out".
    Funny how this whole beta testing thing has turned upside-down after MC's success. People used to be paid (maybe not much, but still) for beta testing, nowdays people pay to beta test.

Let's see how this thing fares when it's actually finished.
    Last edited by Lahis; 2013-12-16 at 09:18 PM.

Is it still possible to play on US servers from EU? My enjoyment from the game dramaticaly increased when anyone that could kill me was sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Funny how this whole beta testing thing has turned upside-down after MC's success. People used to be paid (maybe not much, but still) for beta testing, nowdays people pay to beta test.
    I've been paid to beta test before. It is nothing like early access.

With early access you are just playing an incomplete game. If you want to be a helpful tester and try to find things that are broken, then that's on you. You aren't forced to do it.

But actual beta testers never get to just play the game. They are given a laundry list of pointless and monotonous activities to perform in the game world to see if they can find things that don't work or figure out why something isn't working.

Tried it for an hour. It's like an extremely polished version of DayZ in looks, won't comment on performance side(as per "Beta = Beta" rule, Alpha in this case) but turned on every single thing to max and got ~25 FPS. Might have to mess around with those settings tomorrow when I got more time.

-Animations are very nice, player models are semi-customizable(different shirt color, pants color and boots color)
    -Controls have been cleaned up(although not yet re-bindable), ARMA 2 had a ton of "WTF are those for?!" kind of controls
    -Sweet and clean UI, much better than ARMA 2 UI.

Deleted
    I bet Bohemia are loving the money coming in.

I bought this game, took me a few minutes to figure out the flash light, and i ended up dehydrating or something and falling unconscious. Didn't see 1 zombie and my areas were picked clean of supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Velicity View Post
    DayZ is like marmite, love it or hate it.

But once you seriously get into it, there is nothing else like it.
    Very, very well put. I was more or less forced into playing the original game by friends. I scorned the idea. It was overly punative, I thought. A bit masochistic -- maybe even boring.

It's quite an enigmatic beast, it brings out the animal in all types of gamers. Sociologists would do well to look into DayZ communities.

Then I just... turned down the lights in my room and got into it. Got way, way into it. I started using the proximity voice chat and stuff. I think I must have binged a solid 150+ hours in a couple weeks.

Lovely thing, that.

Deleted
    I remember being in a truck full of squad mates, all in ghillies and CCO SD M4 rifles and we picked up a few bambies, brought them up a quiet road, forced them out at gun point and put them 30 yards apart. We layed down two hatchets on the ground between them and told them the first one to equip the hatchet and kill the other guy gets a reward.

We gave the victor a bike and the locations to our old base we had rigged with C4. He got there and blew up the second he went for a tent.

I remember being in a truck full of squad mates, all in ghillies and CCO SD M4 rifles and we picked up a few bambies, brought them up a quiet road, forced them out at gun point and put them 30 yards apart. We layed down two hatchets on the ground between them and told them the first one to equip the hatchet and kill the other guy gets a reward.

We gave the victor a bike and the locations to our old base we had rigged with C4. He got there and blew up the second he went for a tent.
    Please tell me there's video...

It's this kind of shit...

my all time favorite video series for dayz lol

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember The WarZ that tried to capitalize on DayZ's popularity? Man, what a bunch of cocksuckers.

oh lawdy that video, I can't stop laughing
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2013-12-16 at 11:41 PM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    is it better / more enjoyable than rust currently?

Ive never played dayz or warz, but I followed WarZ for a bit. That turned out to be a real shitfest before I was really able to buy it. The cash shop thing killed it for me, glad I didnt waste my money.

Does/will this have a cash shop?

If so, I will pass. If it's a b2p and that's it, Im all over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Ive never played dayz or warz, but I followed WarZ for a bit. That turned out to be a real shitfest before I was really able to buy it. The cash shop thing killed it for me, glad I didnt waste my money.

It doesn't have one planned right now, and I doubt that they will. Rocket is actually a decent developer.

Deleted

It doesn't have any kind of shop at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Please tell me there's video...
    It ws a spontaneous idea that just sort of happened as we went along.

Quote Originally Posted by Axaron View Post
    It's this kind of shit...
    I know. Do you suffer from hearing hueys in real life when you've got your headphones or speakers off?
    I also get extremely paranoid when I see a white Hilux..

Nope, you buy the game now, put up with a buggy Alpha build for awhile and play.
    If you played the mod, you can play this. This is not a Pay2Win kind of game.
    Last edited by mmocef79c1163b; 2013-12-17 at 01:28 AM.

It's not pay to win because they use community servers for the time being in their other games, and same will go for DayZ afaik. Less maintenance costs. I'm sure they'll be plenty of DLC, too.