Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post Know what? I like Microtransactions in WoW

Honestly, everyone bitching about it has resolved to never use it themselves. Ergo, what's the problem?

Don't wanna buy a mount? Then don't. Don't want to buy vanity pets? You don't have to. Don't wanna buy transmog? No one's forcing you to. Do keep this in mind, though: Blizzard is in the busines of making money first and foremost. The reason the shop was integrated into the game is because there is a demand for it. Saying you hate microtransactions and anyone who like it is dumb/etc. for legally buying mount/pets is a weak arguement. More so when it doesn't effect YOU directly.

All the fearmongering over Microtransactions is unfounded. Besides, Blizzard knows what its doing. Unless you own a share in Blizzard you don't need to know what they're doing day to day.

Having said that, I would happily welcome the ability to buy EXP Boost items like there is in the PTR. Add Gold and Rep Boost items to the mix and I'm a happy camper ^_^

...Unlike other folks who make threads like this I'm not afraid to defend my viewpoint so feel free to comment. I will respond.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    Honestly, everyone bitching about it has resolved to never use it themselves. Ergo, what's the problem?

Don't wanna buy a mount? Then don't. Don't want to buy vanity pets? You don't have to. Don't wanna buy transmog? No one's forcing you to. Do keep this in mind, though: Blizzard is in the busines of making money first and foremost. The reason the shop was integrated into the game is because there is a demand for it. Saying you hate microtransactions and anyone who like it is dumb/etc. for legally buying mount/pets is a weak arguement. More so when it doesn't effect YOU directly.

All the fearmongering over Microtransactions is unfounded. Besides, Blizzard knows what its doing. Unless you own a share in Blizzard you don't need to know what they're doing day to day.

Having said that, I would happily welcome the ability to buy EXP Boost items like there is in the PTR. Add Gold and Rep Boost items to the mix and I'm a happy camper ^_^

...Unlike other folks who make threads like this I'm not afraid to defend my viewpoint so feel free to comment. I will respond.
    Blizzard artists spend time making super fancy mounts to sell for cash instead of designing new content for the whole plauerbase. I don't want ugly fey drakes I want a zone with a single new NPC model, something timeless isle doesn't have. Ergo your shit store impacts others whether they use it or not.

P2W is bad for the game and asking for it makes me honestly ready to punch you in the throat. We pay a sub, that's Blizzards source of revenue. They don't have any reason to add P2W items when it would inly marginalized more players.

Honestly fuck off to FarmVille and spend 19.95$ on a discoball tractor instead of dragging this game down more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the in-game store because it reminds me of MMOs that can't compete with WoW. The reason F2P MMOs sell in-game items for real money is because nobody would want to pay for their monthly fees.

They penetrate me without permission... And guess what? I like it! Fuck the lube anyhow.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I dislike that they seem to spend more time working on it than adding new content, but other than that it doesn't bother me.... now if it expanded anymore than it has already in the US and EU.... that would be very bad.

It' s not that at all. We all know it's optional. But some people are just afraid that it's going to bring mandatory stuff or something. Who knows. People like to get worried about the silliest things. Especially when it's beyond their control. There is more important things to be worried about than some stuff in a video game.

I don't like rep and gold being linked to spending money. I think that should be an effort thing. If they wanna let you get gold by buying it, add more BOE pets. I think even recolours of some pets would sell assuming they weren't as highly priced. I know I've been waiting for a brown cat for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    It' s not that at all. We all know it's optional. But some people are just afraid that it's going to bring mandatory stuff or something. Who knows. People like to get worried about the silliest things. Especially when it's beyond their control. There is more important things to be worried about than some stuff in a video game.
    I'm not afraid of mandatory stuff. I'm disgusted of their double dipping. People often say Blizzard should go F2P. Why would they? They already tap into that F2P market with their microtransactions not only with absurdly high prices but also with sub fee slapped on top of that.

They are having the cake and then taking another for good measure.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

My complaint is that they spend time developing models for cash store things rather than patch content when we pay a monthly fee

10+ Year Old Account

How does gold boost not affect me?

if gold is acquired easier......

you sir, are p2w hero
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Besides, Blizzard knows what its doing.
    You lost the argument right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    You're full of shit honey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    You should have no expectations for the next expansion IMO...

Never have and never will pay money for in-game items in a sub based game. Now I agree with you about just not doing it, and I won't. But when I see in game crap flying around that I can't get without spending more money, its just another reason for me to go play something else. Lets hope it doesn't bite them in the ass and cause more sub loss. Honestly, I don't think it alone would cause sub loss, but its just +1 reason to stack to the other reasons you may be looking for greener pastures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is failing to keep their subs up so they take their failures out on the customers, and leave us to pay for their mistakes through microtransactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Blizzard artists spend time making super fancy mounts to sell for cash instead of designing new content for the whole plauerbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    My complaint is that they spend time developing models for cash store things rather than patch content when we pay a monthly fee
    Wrong.

They're employed to make these models on the expectation of income from them. If they didn't have the store these models wouldn't have been made in the first place and no additional content would've been made, Blizzard just would've had a few less artists.

This is not a zero sum game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Never have and never will pay money for in-game items in a sub based game. Now I agree with you about just not doing it, and I won't. But when I see in game crap flying around that I can't get without spending more money, its just another reason for me to go play something else. Lets hope it doesn't bite them in the ass and cause more sub loss. Honestly, I don't think it alone would cause sub loss, but its just +1 reason to stack to the other reasons you may be looking for greener pastures.
    What a brave patriot you are, fighting the good fight.

Or maybe you're making a big deal over absolutely nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fagatronics View Post
    They know what they're doing a hell of a lot more than the QQers on the forums. If they were in charge of WoW it'd be a smoking crater in the ground :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    How does gold boost not affect me?

if gold is acquired easier......

you sir, are p2w hero
    I honestly don't see the connection you're badly trying to make. For one, Blizzard has been going out of its way to make getting alot of Gold HARDER outside the Auction House. I never use it for the same reason I don't fuck with eBay: The value of anything put on there is purely subjective and can debated to the Twisting Nether and back indefinitely.

Anything worth getting is priced to bring in the highest possible profit which only a very small fraction of WoW Players can realistically afford at any given time. Plus, I like to think there's a reason Googleplex, or Infinite if you prefer cannot be quantified. It's numerical value is simply to far beyond human comprension. It's intended to be that way by design.

One other thing: The term "Pay To Win" by its presented definition in MMOs simply does not exist. If you use the term in its literal sense you will find no evidence of it outside browser-based games like Farmville or Moble Games like Angry Birds or Final Fantasy Ultimate (Worst. Game. EVER. Made.). It's simply not profitable to do that.

Allow me to break down the difference further:

-Let's suppose Blizzard started offering "perks" to people willing to pay--auto battle rez, no GCDs for X hours, +1000% Health/Mana Regen per second, etc. ALL of these are game-breaking and will NEVER happen in this lifetime or the next.

- Now let's suppose Blizzard offered EXP and Rep Boosts to people willing to pay. Considering these mechanics already exist in the game in one form or another--Heirlooms, Northrend/Cataclysm Tabards, Midsummer/WoW Anniversary, etc.--NONE of these are game-breaking and are all 100% optional.

Those of us who level alts will usually take every opportunity presented to us to enhance the level experience. It's funny how the EXP Freeze Mechanic was originally designed for those who do WSG/AB with level 20 twinks when the same approach can be used during the level experience to quest but not overlevel while doing a quest chain.

Pay to Win...pfft. Last time I checked there wasn't an Easy Button in Black Temple when I started playing WoW 7 years ago. You can solo classic raids now but for obvious reasons you can't one-shot the raid bosses when soloing older raids. Will the fight be much easier vs. doing it at level? Of course. Even so--and this is probably part of why the number crunch is coming in WoD--there is such a thing as overconfidence.

Typical Gamer attitude: "Make the game the way I want it made, release it NOW and fuck your needs and everyone else's." Humans make video games. Unlike other profressions you don't necessarily need to go to college to make video games. Doesn't Ghostcrawler have a Degree in Marine Biology? Despite that he landed a prominent position during his tenure at Blizzard. Speaking of Ghostcrawler: Even though he was obviously a WoW Player before, during and after he started working for Blizzard he was made into a bad guy by some folks and unfairly in my book.

Really though, the way Nintendo treats its base is a thousand times worse in comparison. They finally release Earthbound fro the SNES as a Virtual Console Game 6 years after it was asked for. The catch? It's a Wii U exclusive, giving a giant middle finger to those like myself who only have a Wii. Another thing Blizzard has over Nintendo is accounts are not bound to hardware like the 2DS/3DS/3DS XL, DSi/DSi XL, Wii and Wii U are. Can you imagine what would happen if the computer you initially installed WoW/SCII/D3/HS/HotS on is the ONLY computer you're allowed to play it on?

Getting back on topic: Don't bitch about what you don't like on MMO-C Ghostcrawler's been rightfully taking shots at MMO-C Posters last week for spouting unrealistic expectations just like those who post on the official forums do.

If you are going to put your foot down, you need to stand out. That's why I've taken to blogging instead of posting on high-traffic forums forums. I got sick of threads I make or post in dying off. Not just on MMO-C but in general.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fagatronics View Post
    Can you proove it?

You and I both know you can't but you're welcome to try.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

My problem with microtransactions is pretty simple.

Look at the mount Invincible. It's a gorgeous mount, and as far as memory recalls it was revealed right before the blizzard store was released. It's an almost entirely unique model, which is rare among mounts.
    If Wrath was released in 2013, do you think it would have been a boss drop? lol, no. We would have gotten the Crimson Deathcharger and meanwhile the truly rare and shiny mounts would be thrown into the blizzard store. Look at Cataclysm; any idiot can tell pretty easily the Heart of the Aspects was originally being designed to be a Heroic Madness of Deathwing drop mount.
    Don't believe me? Take a look at several things:
    1. It's ground animations are nonexistent. Hell, it's ground running isn't even correctly animated; it wiggles like an angry, flying worm when it's used as a ground mount.
    2. The mount's model is actually used in the Madness of Deathwing battle, it's the head of the laser Thrall shoots at Deathwing's mouth at the end of the battle.
    3. It was released right with 4.3, whereas the mount appeared in the game files long before that. This was similar to how Invincible had been seen in the game files before ICC.
    4 The name.

Seriously, to say that the design of the store mounts has no impact on the game is turning a blind eye on this mount in particular. There's no direct proof but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to put two and two together. I have no problem with Blizzard Store mounts. I think it's a great way to hook new players, serve as gifts for your nerdier friends during the holidays and put a mount like the Winged Guardian in the game that really didn't have much of a place elsewhere. My problem is that since the advent of the Blizzard Store, we've seen less and less interesting mounts from the game itself and flashy, ridiculous mounts placed in the Store time and time again.

Compare the Enchanted Fae Dragon and the Kor'kron Juggernaut; which would you look at and consider more impressive at first glance? There's a certain prestige lost when the big, fancy, rare and hard-to-get mount doesn't have visuals to match the difficulty of earning it. This wasn't always the case, and anyone with eyes can see when the change occurred.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you have definitive proof that one effects the other, I assume?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Blizzard artists spend time making super fancy mounts to sell for cash instead of designing new content for the whole plauerbase. I don't want ugly fey drakes I want a zone with a single new NPC model, something timeless isle doesn't have. Ergo your shit store impacts others whether they use it or not.

P2W is bad for the game and asking for it makes me honestly ready to punch you in the throat. We pay a sub, that's Blizzards source of revenue. They don't have any reason to add P2W items when it would inly marginalized more players.

Honestly fuck off to FarmVille and spend 19.95$ on a discoball tractor instead of dragging this game down more.
    You lose all credibility when you bring up the childish pay to win argument, which has never been true.
    "Ugly" is a matter of opinion, and therefore a useless argument.
    "You" do not like the mount, other people do and have paid.
    The mounts and pets continue to sell, so despite your noise it is not going away.
    If anybody is dragging the game down, it is people like you who come spew out rubbish all the time.

So far there have been no pay to win items, not a single one.
    The xp elixir is NOT that, since there is already Recruit a Friend, able to be applied to a license on your own account which is likely far more cost effective and gives you mounts and pets in the process.
    The in-game interface for an already existing business model which has been going for years was inevitable, and simply a convenience for those who want to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Fuck off with EXP booster, sell max lvl chars.
    Fuck off with Gold booster, buy Honorbuddy.
    Fuck off with REP booster, simply dont ever repeat that awfull grind @ MOP start. (btw they would be mandatory for every high-end raider, so not optional at all)

Cosmetic stuff, sell whatever u want, i dont care.

The problem is, I used to be able to look at a cool mount and know it was obtainable by in-game means. These days, something gets datamined and we all know "probably just a new store mount".

Wrong.

They're employed to make these models on the expectation of income from them. If they didn't have the store these models wouldn't have been made in the first place and no additional content would've been made, Blizzard just would've had a few less artists.
    This is an unproven assumption. I really don't think the size of Blizzard's dev team is tied so strictly to their income. If this was true, we'd be getting half the content now that we were in Wrath.