Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you have to play your offspec to join a raiding guild?

Basically I really really love boomkin but i'm playing feral because I can also tank well and enjoy it, but I want to play balance. If I went balance would I be looked down on for not wanting to play resto as well? I'd love to main a boomy but I really really am not a good healer.

tl;dr do you hate dps applicants who won't play resto?

Quote Originally Posted by Aspectsftw View Post
    Basically I really really love boomkin but i'm playing feral because I can also tank well and enjoy it, but I want to play balance. If I went balance would I be looked down on for not wanting to play resto as well? I'd love to main a boomy but I really really am not a good healer.

Idk man that's a really situational question. Are you going for 10mans or 25s? Basically, knowing how to play an offspec is always very useful, even if it's not needed at all. The more specs and classes you know the more well-rounded and knowledgeable you become.

Personally, if I were to allocate my time, I think it makes more sense in a raiding guild to learn another class of the same role that excels at, in your situation, moonkin/feral weaknesses. Basically if you're ranged, it's going to be easier and more useful to learn another ranged. That's just my opinion though.

no

/10char

Nah heaps of people in my heroic guild never used their OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

My guild has a basic policy on Off-specs. If you want us to gear it, you have to play it in raid or we could have a foreseeable need for you to.
    If you don't want to play an OS, state it. If you want to play one, state it.
    I think playing an off-spec is a large asset to your raid, but it is not required. My off-spec is bear and I have shit gear for it.

When my guild was 10 man in the past, I have healed a fight or two where we needed a fourth, but that was the only time. I would refuse otherwise. I am a horrible healer.

Also, it helps if you destroy people in your main spec. Our main tank is our main tank because he's our best tank. We don't ask him to DPS or sit on fights. Same goes for our hybrid class DPS. I wouldn't dream of having our Ele Shaman heal or our DK tank unless we were in a really dire situation attendance wise.

No. It certainly helps, and it would be pretty annoying to have to cancel a raid because you never learned to use your offspec, but at that point you're probably not the only one in the raid who could have had a healing offspec (or geared healing alt) but didn't. You're not really any less useful than say a warlock or mage.

I'm resto with a balance offspec that I haven't used in... well, ever in raids. I think the last time I even switched to it was when farming Black Prince reputation way back when. Our raid also has a retribution paladin and a feral druid who have never used their offspecs in raids. We do rely on some people using their offspecs, but it's easier to keep those offspecs geared when there's minimal competition for offspec loot. Once the main spec healers have that trinket or whatever, the two DPS who actually use their healing offspecs in raids get to fight over it, and after that the "hobby offspecs" get their turn. It's in our loot rules, even (our only loot rule, really): main specs > recognized raid offspecs > other offspecs.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Nah, mine asked me to heal on megaera once. I purposely forgot to study the spec so I had to read the tooltips during the fight to figure out what they did. They never asked me to heal again.

Deleted
    Our maintank (Paladin) refuses to take any other spec than tanking (even though we tried to convince him to heal once in a while). We got used to it... we wouldn't ever force anyone to play something he doesn't want.
    You wanna be a fat owl, fine! You can choose tank as your offspec though, can't you?

As long a you are good at your main spec it doesn't matter I raid 25 man at a pretty decent level. If we need an extra healer the we bring in a main spec healer if we are going to four heal a fight then we bring in main spec dps instead of getting a healer to play offspec. The only role we don't have any slack on is tanks, we run with two, for that we have two or three people that we use offspec.

Most of the time a main will play better then someone playing an offspec, about the only time we might need someone to play an offspec or even an alt is if we are desperate for a class/spec for a particular job. I don't even ask for peoples offspec in our application form, I do however expect locks/hunters/mages and all the other classes than have multiple dps specs that share the same primry stats to be able to play whatever is the superior spec.

Why? If you don't want to play resto, then don't play it - most people should respect that decision. I'd rather have a person playing the spec he/she likes and knows rather than having a very clumsy and clueless healer running around :P
    Also, I have a boomkin OS but I've never used it. It's just there.

Nope, never played resto never plan to. Infact all my alts are ranged too. This has never been an issue when applying anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Nah heaps of people in my heroic guild never used their OS.
    And some go same spec with different talent/glyph setups to change between the 2 most commonly used builds for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

People will always ask if you have resto too, but if you're a good boomkin they will be happy about the damage overall. Guardian spec isn't bad to have as secondary really. Some raids it's the tanks that is more needed.
    Playing feral and people will always ask if i have a resto spec. Not really a problem. It's just more convenient to have one that have good gear later on. If you miss a good geared healer in a tight rooster it will make it far more likely that you have to cancel raids.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Given personal experience and that many top heroic raiders actually have two of the same spec just different talents, I'm going to say no you don't have to play your offspec (as in it's an entirely different role) to join a raiding guild.
    If a guild requires you to play a role you don't want to and if you don't like them that much then leave, otherwise if you are willing to make the sacrifice to ensure your friends have fun then go for it.
    Don't turn the game into work I say.

Deleted
    also, playing moonkin with resto offspec is shit anyways, having to play with shared pieces which are never optimally gemmed/reforged always grinds my nerves D:

for me its always Boomy/guardian and Feral/Resto!

But anyway, nothing wrong with just playing one spec. Except if you are a class with more than one damage spec which used similar gear (i.e. not feral/moonkin and enhance/elemental), then depending on your ambitions you could be required to play the spec which deals most damage for each fight, and organize your gemming/reforging so that you can play both specs passably

I've only stepped up and healed during semi progression once. No one forced me too but it was either I do it or we don't raid.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    My main spec is resto and have guardian as OS. I have only tanked when we had no tanks on farming or on flex. And only because I also like to tank and preferd tanking than look my guild raid with a poorly equiped tank

/10char

Do you have to? No not at all. Is it potentially helpful, yes (especially for 10 man), but by no means feel forced to do so.

Deleted
    I've always played my offspec in all the guilds I've raided in.
    I've done it to help out with progression if the raid missed a healer and I have done it for my own fun.
    It has been my own decision so I'm never bored. If the raidleader ask I'm not saying no.
    It is just when it gets to the point when it is 50 % boomkin 50 % resto you start to wonder what your main spec is and how many times you want to change your legendary cloak back and forward

But don't play resto if you don't wan't to.
    If you play a spec you're forced to, the chance of you not doing a good "job" is much higher than if you playing your favorite spec.
    It is more time consuming to play different roles in a raidsetting - you have to read double up etc.
    Last edited by mmocd7741932c0; 2013-12-18 at 01:37 AM.

I'm sure it depends a lot on the guild and what position they're in. My current guild 3 healed Dark Shaman heroic (10man), and until I joined the shadow priest would log his monk and tank it. Since I play balance with a guardian OS, I volunteered to tank that fight as it's a lot easier and more ideal than having someone on an alt. It was by no means a requirement, but it helps.

If the guild in question already has a DPS platewearer or something that can tank and some other caster with a healing OS I'm sure they won't care about your OS if you don't.
    "Such insolence... such arrogance... must be PUNISHED!"