Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Well you would need to include things like Ancestral Awakening
    it's not really accurate to include AA, since AA requires single target heals, which should be a very small percentage of shaman healing. looking at a recent encounter for myself (protectors), i get:
    HW = 1.1%
    HS = 1.6%
    GHW = 0.3%

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    As you approach 50% mastery, the value of it starts to drastically drop
    could you elaborate what you meant by this? i don't understand it.

to the OP:
    the reason i find mastery underwhelming (and i really want to like mastery), is that the heroic encounters don't allow you to let anyone's health drop far enough for mastery to be effective. many of the encounters, if someone is sitting at less than ~70% hp they are at risk of being 1-shot by the encounter mechanics.

it's really disappointing to me that tier after tier, absorbs are so much stronger than a "smart" mastery by the time we reach heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by marklar View Post

to the OP:
    the reason i find mastery underwhelming (and i really want to like mastery), is that the heroic encounters don't allow you to let anyone's health drop far enough for mastery to be effective. many of the encounters, if someone is sitting at less than ~70% hp they are at risk of being 1-shot by the encounter mechanics.

it's really disappointing to me that tier after tier, absorbs are so much stronger than a "smart" mastery by the time we reach heroics.
    I really agree with this. I really do not see any point in stacking mastery at all this tier. We have enough mastery passively in my opinion for it to do its job. Im going to keep running with my 10k haste for now and everything else in crit. I was contemplating running with 9100 but im too scared to drop my haste haha

Deleted
    Wasnt there math done by someone that Mastery becomes better than Crit only if everyone is under 50% hp all the time? That scenario i have yet to see in heroic Soo. + High crit allows you to forge every spirit into more crit making it even better. Haste, cant say, i like the 9k break point im sitting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    Wasnt there math done by someone that Mastery becomes better than Crit only if everyone is under 50% hp all the time? That scenario i have yet to see in heroic Soo. + High crit allows you to forge every spirit into more crit making it even better. Haste, cant say, i like the 9k break point im sitting on.
    Yes, Vixsin has an extremely detailed article up from early MoP explaining all of the math.

http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=2965

Basically, Mastery is only better than Crit on targets below 65% HP for AoE healing and 43% HP for single target direct heals. I suspect that the threshold may be even lower HP levels if you have an amp trinket with its' inherent ~9% increase to critical healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    Wasnt there math done by someone that Mastery becomes better than Crit only if everyone is under 50% hp all the time? That scenario i have yet to see in heroic Soo.
    If the criteria is the highest average hps, yes we'll need people to be low often for mastery to pull ahead of crit.

But looking at the average hps is the wrong criteria to use.

Even if people are low few times during the fight, mastery is better than crit for those heals. It doesn't have to happen all the time for mastery to be valuable, since when it does happen, mastery is the better stat to save them.

And this is without even considering that crit is RNG based. In SOO gear it's hard to get even 40% crit. Even if we get to 40%, there will still be 60% chance that a particular heal won't crit at all. Mastery on the other hand is not based on RNG. Therefore it always increases the size of the heals on low HP people, there is no RNG involved.
    Last edited by Koor; 2013-12-20 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koor View Post
    If the criteria is the highest average hps, yes we'll need people to be low often for mastery to pull ahead of crit.

But looking at the average hps is the wrong criteria to use.

Even if people are low few times during the fight, mastery is better than crit for those heals. It doesn't have to happen all the time for mastery to be valuable, since when it does happen, mastery is the better stat to save them.

And this is without even considering that crit is RNG based. In SOO gear it's hard to get even 40% crit. Even if we get to 40%, there will still be 60% chance that a particular heal won't crit at all. Mastery on the other hand is not based on RNG. Therefore it always increases the size of the heals on low HP people, there is no RNG involved.
    No, average HPS is not the wrong criteria to use. It's a faulty assumption to conclude that having higher output to keep the raid health at a stable level (and to avoid "those times when mastery shines" in the first place) is inherently less valuable than having higher mastery. It's all about whether HP levels drop frequently enough (and whether when they do, it's a wipe anyway so stat allocation doesn't matter) to justify having higher mastery levels on gear at the exclusion of other secondary stats.

And, the Crit RNG thing is also overblown. When you consider that the vast majority of our healing comes from HR and HST ticks, of which there are thousands per fight, the RNG factor of Crit balances itself out. It isn't hard at all to have 40% Crit; I have ~45% raid buffed Crit currently. Plus, even when you need the single target direct heals, 45% Crit means you have 75% Crit on Healing Surge. That makes it more effective than Mastery on a target at low HP that needs to be bursted up in most cases.

I'm the only one realising that the same people are discussing the same thing in 5 different topics for over a month?

It happens in elemental threads too except there is usually someone attacking someone else.