Poll: Do you want content difficulty scaling?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Content Difficulty Scaling - Wouldn't it be amazing?

What ho,

So imagine if there was a scaling system in place for World of Warcraft. Such a system could make sure that old content remained challenging and fun, and that all of Azeroth became relevant again - not just the newest continent.

I've composed my suggestion in a sort of Q & A format where I ask myself questions and answer them, in order to give you my case.

Q: What do you mean by scaling content difficulty?

A: What I really mean is changing the player's relative power so that it is always on par with the content of any given zone.
    So if a level 86 character is in the Jade Forest, she would be able to defeat its content - but if that same level 86 character was in Elwynn Forest, Hogger could still pose a threat to her. A level 10 should not be able to go through the Jade Forest though, and we'll get to that in a minute.
    Q: Why would you want scaling content implemented?

A: Mainly because there is a massive world at our disposal, but only about 10-15% of the content is ever relevant - save for when you breeze through the old world while levelling an alt over 2 hours. Simply put, I wish every zone; from Zul'Drak to Desolace, mattered. I wish Blizzard could put new content in any old zone, without having to reject all the old zones due to their content being for low level characters.
    Q: If it isn't broken, why fix it? Seems like a big waste of resources for Blizzard.

A: In my opinion, it is broken. WoW implies a world - not just one continent. The entire world should feel like a living and breathing place, where danger is around every corner. When danger is removed from most of the zones, their content is effectively invisible. Instead of this being a waste of resources, it would be a golden opportunity. With the entire world up-to-date, we suddenly get 500% more content to play around with.
    Q: I'm a veteran hero of the Horde or Alliance - I shouldn't have to worry about Hogger. My past triumphs should allow me to faceroll through old content.

A: While I see this point, it doesn't really make sense. Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings was just as vulnerable to goblin attacks as he was to Sauron's power. Saruman died at the hand of his own lowly servant, in a backwater like the Shire - and he was a demigod! My point is that effective experience or power is not an argument for why nothing in the game should ever be dangerous to you.

But, with that said, I do want veteran characters to stand out and be better than level 1 characters. Mainly through acquiring good gear, which should give them an edge.
    Q: How would you implement this system?

A: Personally, I would think about it a bit differently from what people usually do. In order to make the system as simple as possible to implement, I would go about it with these steps:

1. Create a new basic stat point for all classes called 'Heroism'.

• Each level gained gives you 1 more point in 'Heroism' - at level 100, you'll have 100 'Heroism'.
    • 'Heroism' effectively nerfs content in a zone around you until a point where you can beat it.
    • It only nerfs zones that are populated with enemies of your current Heroism. Higher level zones will remain difficult or impossible until you level up. But zones below or on your level will be able to stay on one consistent difficulty, regardless if they are 20 or 80 levels below you.
    • This effectively means that you'll have the same progression through the game as now, with the major difference that all old content will remain challenging even after you've gone through it.

2. Make equipment be the edge veterans deserve.

• Because all content below or on your current Heroism (character level) will now be as hard for you as it is for someone 10 levels below you, there needs to be something to separate you from each other in effective power. Someone who defeated Garrosh on Heroic 25 man should be tougher than a level 5.
    • This is down to tweaking how much power your stats give you over your enemies, as well as giving diminish returns the better your gear is and the lower the zone is.
    Q: What are the benefits of this system, at the end of the day?

A: In my view, they are many. Here's a list:

• There will be lots of more relevant content for us all.
    • The world will feel bigger, more menacing, more alive.
    • Blizzard can place content wherever they like - not just on the newest continent. New raids, dungeons, events, etc. could appear anywhere.
    • Blizzard can utilize the old world in a number of ways, for instance by having old kinds of herbs and minerals be part of modern recipes, or by letting a quest chain take you all over the world.
    • World PvP will be a thing again.
    • Because players are back in the old world, there's more demand and possibility for large events and drastic effects to the world that players can participate in.
    Vote and have your say!

I don't think it would change much, and it should be optional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

And for the people that like zerging through old content for transmog and achievements ....

People thought they wanted this. Then GW2 came along (and maybe others) and then those people realized that they don't want this.

If anything I would be more inclined to have old raids/dungeons scale to max level and give JP which could be used to buy blue quality heroic 5 man ilvl gear.

If the suggestion is that in order to level First Aid after the fact I have to go to content that I cleared on an alt two expansions ago and fight, not the same, but actually hard mobs cause I'm now max level for this expansion I would say this idea is crazy.

if you're suggesting then that I should just buy the mats from the auction house, then you're equally crazy.

if you're suggestion they revamp all professions such that, as you suggest, old world herbs and such are used in new recipes, and by extrapolation, evidently Linen bandages will be just as awesome as Windwool bandages, then I think you're also crazy.

Leave my mat zerg farming alone, not everyone plays one single character their whole experience and just wants to run around everywhere in the entire world on that one character doing "relevant" content.

Quote Originally Posted by slummish
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i chose no, because you called us a ho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will read in a sec and determine what I think, but just quickly, your self Q & A reminded me of this video WAY TOO MUCH, where Clint Eastwood interviews an empty chair:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    i chose no, because you called us a ho.
    Watch or read Jeeves and Wooster!

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Will read in a sec and determine what I think, but just quickly, your self Q & A reminded me of this video WAY TOO MUCH, where Clint Eastwood interviews an empty chair:

Haha. I just decided that it'd be the only way for me to structure my thoughts somewhat.

For this to have any chance at working, the rewards would need to scale as well. You can't have a level 10 gnoll be as powerful as a level-cap creature, but still only drop 3 copper and a rusty spoon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like it if I could turn it off at will. There are times when I need to do something quickly in the old world and at level 90 I'd like to breeze through it. For Loremaster, though, I'd love to see it be more scaled to my level - including gold reward

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    For this to have any chance at working, the rewards would need to scale as well. You can't have a level 10 gnoll be as powerful as a level-cap creature, but still only drop 3 copper and a rusty spoon.
    What if that rusty spoon was super valuable, like 100g. You remember when archaeology rewards were worthless and then suddenly BAM BAM BAM they increased the sell costs a huge amount.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

I've played this game - it's what City of Heroes did for a lot of content. It really wasn't a good idea, as it made levelling pointless. Sure the numbers got a little bigger, but they got bigger on both sides and the gameplay didn't change one iota.

While I understand the interest, it just isnt fun. You would lose any sense of progression, where you could have Garrosh on farm but still spend time fighting pre-nerf Hogger? what the hell...

Plus it isnt gonna be fun if people can opt out. "LFR Karazhan run" "Just solo it" "But..." there is no way the group would fill.

No.

When I first heard about scaling down to zone level in GW2, I thought "what a great idea". Then I tried it and found that I dislike the system to bits. Turns out I rarely want the zone that I have beaten to death to be challenging, I want to be able to progress past it, in level and in gear.

And this does get in the way immensely. Imagine getting to level 90, then trying to level herbalism, going to Durotar to pick low-level herbs - AND having to FIGHT raptors and scorpions, and having to care about not overpulling, and spending something like 15 seconds on each kill. Is that fun? Yeah... for the first 5 minutes maybe, then it just feels boring and stupid, and a step back from what we have now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont care how difficult they make it. I dont want to replay content that I already did 50 million times just because its a challenge. I continue to pay for NEW content. Not rehashed old content. Its bad enough that they rehash at least one old dungeon every expansion. I dont want all their resources wasted on scaling all old dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    What ho,

So imagine if there was a scaling system in place for World of Warcraft. Such a system could make sure that old content remained challenging and fun, and that all of Azeroth became relevant again - not just the newest continent.

I've composed my suggestion in a sort of Q & A format where I ask myself questions and answer them, in order to give you my case.

Vote and have your say!
    no. effort brings reward. increasing effort for no reward is bad game design.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    People thought they wanted this. Then GW2 came along (and maybe others) and then those people realized that they don't want this.

If anything I would be more inclined to have old raids/dungeons scale to max level and give JP which could be used to buy blue quality heroic 5 man ilvl gear.
    Exactly this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seen it in Guild Wars 2.
    It's not as much fun as you think it is and it makes leveling extremely frustrating, because you don't perceive your character getting stronger and it feels utterly pointless.
    Actually it IS pointless in a scaling environment. I never understood why GW2 had levels, but someone told me they tried it without in Beta and it didn't work out.

I'm in for dungeons and raids but the world? I don't think so.

10+ Year Old Account
    short answer: no.

long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo