Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    No its not, its going to be bad.

Game->Movie has yet to be done successfully. The only reason why the tomb raiders were good was watching Angelina Jolie run around for 2 hours.
    So just because previous movies about previous games weren't blockbusters, that means that it's impossible? That's some logic for ya. This is Blizzard. This is Legendary. They are putting a lot of work into this, they aren't rushing it. It has a good chance to be a good movie. It may not be the best WoW movie imaginable, but it has a good chance at being at least a decent movie.

To say you know it's going to be bad is just silly. There is barely any information on it at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yasuo View Post
    I think it will be terrible. Like a lot.
    It will feature some total imaginary love story of a girl from the snowy part[sic] of elwynn forrest deeply in love with a guy from the doesnotexistinthegame-vally garrison.
    Meanwhile a brutal war vs the orcs is happening, but you never see it, because CGI is like really really expensive.
    You maybe see a orc. Otherwise just 2 Elves (humans with pointy ears) and a dozent midgets (in armor, so yes, dwarves, i guess) will show up and have their side storys rolling. Something with magic and dragons but nobody cares. As incentive for a broader audience we will see lots of naked human males, because that seem to work for game of thrones, and all that fantasy nerd crap is kinda the same.
    When the hero finally finds the magic sword (staple requisite of every bad fantasy movie) he will chop down the corrupt garrisson leader (in-faction fighting is so politically deep) and rescue his chick from the Stormwind Tower (because stockades sound so fantasy nerd crap)
    Then there is about 25 minutes of getting married, getting kids and teaser for the next part, because there is just sooo many store we HAVE to have a triology.

Its for a different audience then players. But games have done the same for years now. Buy awesome movie IP and then make a mediocre game for a different audience.
    Good theory, too bad they already said that characters we know will be very active participants in the movie.

Any movie that come from another media be it a book or a game will always left a good chunk of peoples unsatisfied they are called purists; it has happen for any big franchise such as lotr, harry potter, marvel heroes etc. That said imho warcraft movie has the potential to be a blockbuster, also i espect alot of peoples that never played wow to start it after the movie is out funneling alot of new subs and a consequent gargantuan outcry from the "wanna be pro" on the forums about the movie(s) bringing alot of bad players into the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

I feel that when one of the lead actors in the movie post's this in he's twitter.. Im sure they care to make a great movie.

I had every class at 80 and 85, currently have five 90's, main is a DK and has been since 3.1, one of the good ones though. (@RobertKazinsky)

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's going to be good. But I wish it were full CGI. Look at wow cinematics. They are fucking stellar. If they could do an hour and half of that shit, it would be incredible. Live action I'm a little more skeptical about, but they've been working on this for a very long time. I think that shows they aren't just making it for cash alone. But because they care about it too.

It has potential but the fact that its live action is making me nervous. Don't get me wrong it can work out but Blizzard already has these amazing openings to their new expansions. So why go live action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you people so freaking negative? Is it because you hate Blizzard and the game so much you pray at night for things like the movie to fail?
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Why are you people so freaking negative? Is it because you hate Blizzard and the game so much you pray at night for things like the movie to fail?
    It's an online forum. This is what people do on online forums. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic. Duncan Jones has a decent background, and WoW as a world is expansive enough to allow a good movie story to form from it. Yes, we've seen some terrible game to movie conversions, but I think that particular age has passed. Directors will treat games with respect, now that there are directors who have grown up with games out there.

Also, nobody lets Uwe Boll out of his box now, so that's a major issue with game movies gone.

Even if it's a good movie there's still a good possibility it won't gain any major popularity and will only attract the relatively small warcraft fanbase.

It has potential but the fact that its live action is making me nervous. Don't get me wrong it can work out but Blizzard already has these amazing openings to their new expansions. So why go live action?
    Because Final Fantasy the spirits within. It's no secret that audiences like live action more than CGI. Going pure CGI would make it even more a film "just for the fans" and would limit the possibility of success with major audiences.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-12-20 at 08:41 AM.

I'm pretty confident that it will be a decent movie at least. With the production company responsible, the director and studio involved etc I'd say the likelihood of it being garbage is quite small. Not saying it's going to be great, but I'd say it can be anywhere in the decent to fantastic range. Can be wrong of course, even competent people can make utter flops from time to time.

Deleted
    I expect it to suck monkey balls. If it doesn't suck i'll be super happy and overwhelmed . If it does suck i am not disappointed because i expected it to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Souflikar View Post
    If they can pull off a story and get folks involved who are not just WOW players, it has the potential to be huge. I think they get the risk of a movie based on a game. I also think they understand this risk may naturally push non-gamers away. So they have to create a great story that'll appeal to non-wow heads as well. There are some clever folks working on this and hopefully they'll pull it off. If so, there is so much more story to tell and other movies to follow. I'm pulling for them an hope they nail it.
    This is exactly the point I was going to bring up.
    The movie has to appeal to both non-wow players, and to wow-players.
    That is gonna be interesting to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is like 5% chance that movie will be good.

Remember the horible doom movie?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419706/
    Metascore: 34/100
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NjsSrD2uG4

My hopes are very small.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really. The potential of this title is quite huge as far as I can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    The original MK movie was quite a pleasant surprise. Also, one of the best movie soundtracks of the 90s.
    *Censored comment about you doing something nasty with something else* now I have to listen to it again and again to get it out of my head..... But it's kinda good... With the test your might part and all... You know what ? I take my insult back, and I thank you !
    "Well...I think you don't get the concept of World First. It's not Method, it's NOT an obscure asian guild whose name can't be pronounced by the regular folks, it's blizzard !

Yeah, cuz they had an internal test team, and they beat Garrosh. So by your standart, they are the true first."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by worstpvperus View Post
    Live action reaches a larger audience. Otherwise would likely be too niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    There have been very few examples of movies based off of games that have done well. It makes good sense to have low expectations with this one as well. I'd be curious of the reasoning of a person who was confident the movie would do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Think Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter live action movies.

What do you think at this point?
    I loved both of those movies. lol

At first I was concerned because they were going to start the movie franchise with a story set between WC3 and WoW, which would ultimately end with having actors return to younger versions of themselves if they ever decided to go back and tell the story from the first 3 games. Fortunetly Duncan Jones wanted to tell the "origin story" beginning with Warcaft I, and given how many characters has died from Warcraft I to Warcraft III the actor isseus aint really a concern, it would seem. So that's kind of awesome. Looking forward to the movies.

I think the directing will be sound, and the effects and locations amazing. The soundtrack will no doubt be very, very good. I think the acting will probably be adequate, ya know, the kind of "not bad" but not something that's going to get an academy award. Legendary films tend to have a high level of polish from a technical aspect.

And the story will be absolute garbage. Probably a lot of crap that fanboys will drool over. I'm sorry, but the second Metzen was announced as a producer and creative consultant, I groaned. I just have not liked anything he's done from a story aspect in a very, very long time. He's a far better artist that writer/story teller.

Duncan Jones has said that he plans to make it "Game of Thrones meets Avatar," and if he can pull it off, great. I'm just very wary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mortal Kombat 1 is one of my favorite movies of all time.
    Means something like this is subjective.

Personally I think it will end up good, however I'm sure everyone thats doomsaying now will call it the worst thing ever.

Also SF was shit because they made it about Guile vs Bison. They shouldve went with a Ryu/Ken vs Bison story or smething. Less Cammy, more Chun-Li.
    Basicly, too Americanised!