Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    imo: it will be much more popular with non-players than players. because nobody would go see a movie that would have to stay within the bounds of game story and lore.

Seems like the majority of naysayers have no clue about the background and haven't even watched the Blizzcon panel. This about the most effort anyone has ever made to make a video game story into a real movie, rather than treat it like a "video game movie". We have a dream team of some of the finest talent in the movie industry in the writing, FX, and directing chair, and they're all old school WOW players. People will be pausing this movie for years to come just to see the awesome little easter eggs, despite a story that values character development and emotional story telling and performances.

Wei himself and Nick Carver are both working closely with ILM on the visuals. Duncan Jones has been playing MMOs since Ultima and WOW since Vanilla, he loves the lore, he made Moon and Source Code, Metzen loves him, they got caught kissing in the bathroom,... what more could you want?

Oh, confirmation bias. I forgot. All video game movies have to suck because of video games.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

The wow movie will be so bad that everyone will quit the game

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    The wow movie will be so bad that everyone will quit the game
    Don't forget the mass suicides. Hale Bop and Jim Jones got nothin' on Blizzard.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling that the Warcraft movie is going to be boring like John Carter. I hope not though.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Think Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter live action movies.

What do you think at this point?
    It's not a movie but more like a series. I think it has potential to be great.

going to end up really, really bad?
    No, not at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you put an infinite number of monkeys in a room with an infinite number of typewriters, one of them will eventually type up the Deceleration of Independence.

Eventually, somebody has to get a video game movie right. Why not this one?
    You either die a Varian, or live long enough to see yourself become a Thrall...

Always assume that a video game film is bad until proven otherwise.

For me, it doesn't matter.

Whether the film is good or not (unlikely), is this something that needed to happen and is it the proper medium and time to tell this story? The answer is basically "no." The story takes place after WoD's time travel timeline, so there's no game tie-in. A 2-3 hour film will not cover as much detail as a 15+ hour RTS game or novels. And generally speaking, the transition is extremely shifty even if it does well to the point where certain things cannot be maintained. People flip a shit over the Shyamalan film for Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it was indeed awful - but it's a series that couldn't have been made into films due to the volume of side characters and subplots that need to get addressed. For the Warcraft movie, for example, prepare for lots of complaints about under-representation of everyone that is not a human or orc because of time and setting contraints.

All this just makes me think that it shouldn't be made. Warcraft is being given a film with the sole intent of making money rather than to tell a compelling story. The movie was attempted in terms of greenlighting at the height of WoW's pop culture phenomenon status for the sole intent of making a cash-grab by the time it was released. Development hell will hinder their profits a bit, probably (though it'll still likely be successful), and whether it will be a "good" film is up in the air - but the chances of this being meaningful are essentially nil.

It's just another marketing property to exploit by Hollywood in an increasing amount of higher numbered sequels and remakes.
    Last edited by Grimmer; 2013-12-21 at 10:17 PM.

Based on absolutely nothing, I'm guessing it's gonna suck.

Just because almost all movies based off of video game franchises have failed in one way or another does not mean the Warcraft movie will fail.

Naturally, die hard Warcraft fans will be ultimately disappointed in any movie that is churned out right now. We've all had about six years to imagine what could be put in it, and if something doesn't follow our imagination of the movie, it'll be disappointing (doesn't mean bad, just 'wish it was better'). But the movie isn't just to the take the players to the next level of story-telling, it's to take the Warcraft universe to the next level, and open up broader horizons for its future on the big screen, not just the computer screen. Also, I guess it is a way to bring back old players because THEY WILL watch the movie, because ANY player has dreamed of it.

If the movie is successful at the box office, people will start playing WoW or any Warcraft game to find out more about the movie they just watched, and they will take part in the (almost) twenty year adventure we've been a part of.

Apart from that, it's too early to tell how it'll turn out. Lets just hope for the best and pray that Jones doesn't throw in the towel like every other Director before him on this daunting project.

If Blizzard has an ounce of common sense they will bind a promotional offer (like a minipet) to move tickets and benefit from player collection compulsion the same way the old Pokemon movies used TCG promos to earn ticket sales.

/shakefist at Movie Promo Mewtwo card

It will pretty much guarantee a ton of people (like myself) will go out and see the movie who otherwise wouldn't -- regardless of the quality of the actual final product.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
    For me, it doesn't matter.

Whether the film is good or not (unlikely), is this something that needed to happen and is it the proper medium and time to tell this story? The answer is basically "no." The story takes place after WoD's time travel timeline, so there's no game tie-in. A 2-3 hour film will not cover as much detail as a 15+ hour RTS game or novels. And generally speaking, the transition is extremely shifty even if it does well to the point where certain things cannot be maintained. People flip a shit over the Shyamalan film for Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it was indeed awful - but it's a series that couldn't have been made into films due to the volume of side characters and subplots that need to get addressed. For the Warcraft movie, for example, prepare for lots of complaints about under-representation of everyone that is not a human or orc because of time and setting contraints.

All this just makes me think that it shouldn't be made. Warcraft is being given a film with the sole intent of making money rather than to tell a compelling story. The movie was attempted in terms of greenlighting at the height of WoW's pop culture phenomenon status for the sole intent of making a cash-grab by the time it was released. Development hell will hinder their profits a bit, probably (though it'll still likely be successful), and whether it will be a "good" film is up in the air - but the chances of this being meaningful are essentially nil.

It's just another marketing property to exploit by Hollywood in an increasing amount of higher numbered sequels and remakes.
    This is so much pretentious cynical drivel. If this was a cash in, the movie would have been produced and released around 2006 when WOW was actually at it's height in popularity and pop culture relevance in the United States. You are insulting so many artists and creators with your jaded generic pre manufactured mass produced opinion here, it's almost unfair that you get to enjoy the creations of anyone. There's a reason Blizzard has been sitting on this movie for almost a decade, they wanted to make sure this wasn't just another cash in. You are so wrong it's making the fabric of time and space bend a little. You're just a wrongy-McWrong pants and you're wrong, because you're wrong, and this citation proves it.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wrong

Now I'll just take off these "fanboy" glasses and go collect my royalty check from the PR department.

- - - Updated - - -

This movie is about Warcraft 1 for those who don't know. We will see the orc tribes unite in Draenor and invade Azeroth. Watch the panel if you actually care about more than bashing corporations and asserting your preconceived notions.

http://youtu.be/D7XuOIQAB04

Depends if the VFX is done in van or not, LOL.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    Go watch Moon, then come back to this thread, and share your opinion. Duncan Jones is gunna kill it. (in the good sense)

And lets see, i think Atlas Entertainment, Blizzard Entertainment, Legendary Pictures, and Universal Pictures as the production for this film have about 6.023 x 10 ^23 the budget of those horrible movies you mentioned. C'mon, its gotta be good.
    Edit:

Yeah deffo, loved Moon and can't wait for this, probs gonna be in the top 10-20 best selling movies.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-12-21 at 11:12 PM.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    I reckon it'll be pretty corny, but i'll still go see in in cinemas. Most video game movies are like that.
    However if they do pull it off well and don't try and skip around things it could be a very good movie!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    seeing as its noncanon lore wise. they have slightly more freedom to not fuck it up.
    This and I always feel that a seperate job is a seperate job. So I will judge games, movies, books, and series all on their own independant of other things. I could care less if they don't depict it the way I would have wanted (though of course that is a plus) as long as the overall thing is good

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Think Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter live action movies.

What do you think at this point?
    you cant make a good movie out of a fighter game like mortal kombat... it just doesnt work.

Lotr is good... warcraft can easily be similar movie, which will end up good.

People say Doom-movie was bad but i liked it... i know nothing about the doom story except the basic thing but the movie was solid scifi even if it didnt have this player character kinda guy who adventures through hell and survives easily...

Video game movies have a bad track record. So I'm skeptical.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.