Frost PvP need some help

Well as the title goes I need some help. I have never played a mage in fact never thought about leveling one until I got RAF. I instantly fell in love with the frost play style and well just need some help with gemming/enchants, stat priority, talents, and any useful tips that you experienced mages can give me.

Deleted
    #showtooltip Presence of Mind
    /cast Presence of Mind
    /cast Polymorph

use incanter's Ward

Pop CD's during deep freeze due to shatter, Alter time with Ice lance and Brainfreeze up with trinkets etc

AND USE PET NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by johnprescott View Post
    #showtooltip Presence of Mind
    /cast Presence of Mind
    /cast Polymorph

use incanter's Ward

Pop CD's during deep freeze due to shatter, Alter time with Ice lance and Brainfreeze up with trinkets etc

AND USE PET NOVA!
    Thanks that actually helped me alot Alter time was confusing me on what I should do. Anything else I need to know?

Deleted
    Glyph of Evocation is a good, along with Iceblock glyph.

Evocation because its a decent healing CD
    Iceblock because of a free Nova AND you're immune to spells for 3 seconds.

If your running 2v2 arena, use living bomb because it has the biggest dpet and if you're running enough haste, you'll get a decent amount of brainfreeze procs per DoT.

i also run this 3 minute 1 shot macro

#showtooltip Icy Veins
    /cast Icy Veins
    /cast Berserking
    /cast Mirror Image

as a troll i get a shit ton of brainfreeze procs during this, and i tend to also have my target frozen with deep freeze and frozen orb for the ice lance procs, at this point i alter time, spend all procs, alter time again and spend the procs 1 last time, one of the best burst in the game in arena and pvp.

EDIT : Alter time CAN be used a defensive FOR EXAMPLE!

If a warrior pops his '***** OMG SWIFTY 1 SHOT MACRO LOLOL LOSE MY EYES AND DO 100000000 dps' you can alter time and use ice barrier, and lets say you go down to 20% hp, when alter time expires, you will go back to your original place back to 100% hp.

HOWEVER i suggest you dont use it this way because usually we can just blink away or iceblock it, however if none of these are possible just use it.

A GOOD PVP PLAYER, AND AN ALIVE ONE!
    Last edited by voltaa; 2013-12-20 at 11:36 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate word

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say that coupling MI with zerking and IV is a poor choice, due to the lost GCD.

Deleted
    if you're invisi'd and have the opener 1 GCD isnt enough for them to react, never really had a problem myself up until now, however good spot Kuni!

Shatter combo!

Start casting frost bolt, while casting frost bolt cast your pet freeze on your target and hit ice lance.

You'll get a crit from both since icelance will cast before frost bolt breaks the freeze.

arena123
    arenafocus123
    cs123
    deep123
    poly123

get used to controlling your pet with /petmove macro instead of it just waddling around.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    For Proving Grounds I just park him in the middle, is there a reason I shouldn't do that?
    In PvP, you have to keep him attacking what you want and not breaking Poly. Also, if his dumbass is chasing around pillars, he's going to get killed, so placing him where you want him at all times lets you maintain higher up time on your pet.

Also, OP, if you want actual help with Mage PvP, a single thread won't suffice with advice unless it ends up being 100+ pages long. I personally have over 365 days played on my Mage alone, and there's still things I'm learning every day. The best advice I can give is to visit Arena Junkies frequently and simply play your Mage (it also helps a great deal to play other classes so you know what they're capable of; when I picked up alts, playing my Mage became a whole lot easier because I was able to predict everything more fluidly).
    BfA Beta Time

What kind of gems do I go for I never have PvP'ed as DPS only heals so I don't know if PvP power is good or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirino View Post
    What kind of gems do I go for I never have PvP'ed as DPS only heals so I don't know if PvP power is good or not.
    "PvP Power conversion ratio to obtain 1% damage at level 90 has been changed from 265 to 400. Basically this means that PvP power is worth 2/3 of what it was before. Along with the PvP gem nerf this will give you good reason to use pure stat gems Vs PvP Power gems. Your 160 Int/Ag/Str will be worth much more than the 160 PvP Power on blue gems."

15+ Year Old Account
    Not pure PvP Power, but in blue sockets, getting a PvP Power/Int gem going is your best bet if you have decent enough gear. Seriously though, go to AJ and look at the top rated players and see what they all do. Don't look at only one because they might be running a cheese comp or something different than what you play, but try to get a consensus of many players to see what is the most effective strategy.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Swizzlington View Post
    Not pure PvP Power, but in blue sockets, getting a PvP Power/Int gem going is your best bet if you have decent enough gear. Seriously though, go to AJ and look at the top rated players and see what they all do. Don't look at only one because they might be running a cheese comp or something different than what you play, but try to get a consensus of many players to see what is the most effective strategy.
    Most of those are arena specs I don't plan on doing arenas this season much I would rather do RBGS and casual atm since im so new to the class. And from my experience following top rated players choices is bad because they like to log out in troll gear to mess with people. I have never liked Arenajunkies as a site which is why I come to MMO-champion. I know the basics on how to play I just need to know what to gem/reforge/enchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Swizzlington View Post
    it also helps a great deal to play other classes so you know what they're capable of; when I picked up alts, playing my Mage became a whole lot easier because I was able to predict everything more fluidly.
    It's really needed tbh. PvP in WoW is somewhat reactionary and you got to know the right answer for your opponents every move, hence you got to know what they are capable of doing and act accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It's really needed tbh. PvP in WoW is somewhat reactionary and you got to know the right answer for your opponents every move, hence you got to know what they are capable of doing and act accordingly.
    I have multiple 90s and have like 300 arena this season under my belt on my shaman. I know all of the classes CD's for the most part and what they do just not how to use specific classes since I never tried them. I was just having a difficult time with Alter time and CD's I have been getting the hang of it and I have my kiting down a lot better. Almost beat my friend whos 498 i level warrior when im pretty low still like 470 something. I know Frost mages destroy warriors and I have no doubt with the better gear my pew pew OP Ice lances would have killed him. Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirino View Post
    I have multiple 90s and have like 300 arena this season under my belt on my shaman. I know all of the classes CD's for the most part and what they do just not how to use specific classes since I never tried them. I was just having a difficult time with Alter time and CD's I have been getting the hang of it and I have my kiting down a lot better. Almost beat my friend whos 498 i level warrior when im pretty low still like 470 something. I know Frost mages destroy warriors and I have no doubt with the better gear my pew pew OP Ice lances would have killed him. Thanks for all the help.
    Alter time just has no clear answer.. You can use it as Positional, Offensive or Defensive skill. It comes down what you thinks suits you best.