Thread: Graphics

Graphics

I've been thinking of trying GW2 but my computer isn't very good. I even lag when I have WoW on ultra, should I even bother buying it or does it work well with lower graphic settings too?

10+ Year Old Account
    can play wow on ultra, complains he doesn't have a very good computer.... every1 and their cat knows that wow is shit optimized on ultra... the fact that u can even run it on ultra means u can play most current games fine....

so yeah you should be able to play gw2 close to max settings if u can play wow on ultra...

It may play, but it will almost certainly not be pretty. My computer handles WoW on ultra far better than GW on the lowest settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    can play wow on ultra, complains he doesn't have a very good computer.... every1 and their cat knows that wow is shit optimized on ultra... the fact that u can even run it on ultra means u can play most current games fine....

so yeah you should be able to play gw2 close to max settings if u can play wow on ultra...
    Ok thanks for the info! Oh and here in my country my PC is consider quite bad. I mean I can't even record when I play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    It may play, but it will almost certainly not be pretty. My computer handles WoW on ultra far better than GW on the lowest settings.
    Ah darn it, okies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    you are bullshitting... I can't run wow on all ultra(running shadows on low, 2x AA, medium render distance)... at least not in Pandaria... but it runs GW2 on max settings and 4x AA np ...

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    you are bullshitting... I can't run wow on all ultra(running shadows on low, 2x AA, medium render distance)... at least not in Pandaria... but it runs GW2 on max settings and 4x AA np ...
    I'm often convinced that there are software issues with certain aspects of ultra in WoW, because I can play it just fine on Ultra, yet a GW2 lags like crazy if I have it above medium.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the specs you need to meet:
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Running_the_game

Check to see if your computer can handle it here:
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com...d-wars-2/11297
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    hmm depends what peoples performance bar is, mine is 60, anything below is considered failure, rare dips where i dont notice too much is fine, but constant dipping below 60 at a given setting is failure to me.

also should add in wow, if you set the vram buffer to say 3 GB, assuming you have a gpu with this amount of ram, well then in wow, i get very high frames on ultra...

25 man raids never are 60 fps, this is the bar to set the game, no one gets this, even with a intel i7 extreme edition + 128 GB 2133 mhz ram + 4x780 tis, best cpu + best gpu on the market right now ;/ even when oced on a custom water loop, liquid nitrogen, hmm perhaps, not like it can be sustained.

GW2 for me constantly dips below 60 fps with max settings at a resolution of 2560x1080..., even when settings lowered this happens, i consider this a failure, and unless it has the equivalent to a 20-25 boss raid, the performance cant be compared truly, since you cant get a close scenario, world events never count or large scale battles, since the variables are so random, large scale boss fights are the best points to compare ;/.

all in all, both game fail at performance to me at the mo.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is a CPU intensive game, and not the most optimized one at that (not the worst though). And it doesn't matter how many cores your CPU has because the game will only effectively use two of them.

I only have a 650M GPU (laptop GPU) and my GPU handles its fine. My CPU is my bottleneck, which is a same because the game is gorgeous. Depending on what you have running in the background your game will run like shit no matter how much RAM you have and what GPU you throw at the game because GW2 gives your CPU a workout. Capping your FPS at 60 FPS can help a lot.

Deleted
    Rather than compare it to wow ultra (which is optimised very differently to GW2), it would probably help most if you just post your full PC specs.

Deleted
    I can only play wow on medium with 30+ fps everywhere (can't play on high) and with the same computer can play gw2 on "medium" with 30+ fps everywhere except WvW and structered PvP sometimes (lots of pets/ mesmers ilusions)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently running a 1.4 GHz Core 2 Duo (yes, one point four, lol) and 2GB RAM on WinXP SP3. This is unspeakably inappropriate for GW2, and below even minimum requirements.

I bought GW2 anyway because I'll be building a new system soon, so I know it'll run fine. As an experiment I tried installing GW2 on my current build. With every single possible graphic/audio setting adjusted to minimum, I range from 20-25 FPS in most areas as long as I'm mostly-alone. Of course, with such a weak CPU it dives to 5-15 FPS once you get more people on-screen, but that's expected.

My point is that if this thing can load and 'play' (dubious word) GW2 even this well, I think your system will be fine, even if you have to notch a few things like shadows and reflections down slightly. =)

As has been mentioned, the game is very CPU intensive. I am kind of curious how it will run on the budget laptop I bought for writing work.

I feel that on the low end of the game's system spectrum, you should be able to play normal PVE and dungeons just fine. Probably tPVP as well. What you will fall apart in are the large scale stuff like Meta Bosses and WvWvW.

Deleted
    be aware, apart from what has already been mentioned, performance varies hugely throughout different parts of the game. You can probably play pve fine, but big events and WvW need a good computer unless you totally kill your graphics to lowest for those things, particularly the character models. trying to fight in WvW 100v100 will lag most standard machines unless you put character models to the lowest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnesiam View Post
    I can only play wow on medium with 30+ fps everywhere (can't play on high) and with the same computer can play gw2 on "medium" with 30+ fps everywhere except WvW and structered PvP sometimes (lots of pets/ mesmers ilusions)
    You might want to turn shadows off. Its strange that you can play medium in both games (you should be able to play at least high in WoW if you can play GW2 medium, I think). Or you're playing at too high of a resolution for your machine.

Things that help in WvW is lowing the setting that deals with other people's character models, turning off shadows, and turning off post processing. The game will use generic character models for everyone which really takes the load off your CPU. I believe using team colors for everyone might help as well but I've never actually tested it.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2014-01-02 at 05:43 PM.