Adding realID friends in-game. How?

I ran a random dungeon today with someone I enjoyed playing the game with. I asked if he wanted to be friends, and he agreed. I kept trying to add him as a friend but because he was from a different server, I kept getting the error message "Player not found" before I could ask for his email for RealID, he left the instance.

I know people can add RealID in-game, even cross faction (Alliance players have invited me as friends when I saw them out in the wild, on a PvP server to talk to me) so how do I do this? What command is it?

Social Window > Add Friend > :enter email address of the person: > Send

Social Window > Add Friend > :enter battletag of person: > Send

Right click their portrait > Add Friend > Add battletag
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

unless you have their battletag or email its not possible you need to actually be able to find them and click Add Battletag by right clicking them i think.
    Last edited by strongyp; 2013-12-21 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    Right click their portrait > Add Friend > Add battletag
    I didn't have this option in a random dungeon. Only the usual Duel, Trade, Whisper and then report player away.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I didn't have this option in a random dungeon. Only the usual Duel, Trade, Whisper and then report player away.
    some people havent registered a battletag (which must be done by visiting battle.net), this is possibly why.

Last edited by strongyp; 2013-12-21 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by strongyp View Post
    some people havent registered a battletag (which must be done by visiting battle.net), this is possibly why.

Ah, I got it. Thanks for the help.