So, Absorbtion in the healing meters...?

Probably has been discussed before, but I googled threads about it and got little to no answers. One half are saying that meters are broken, the other half are saying the meters are fine.

Now, I'm a disc priest and I use recount. I am usually like 3rd or 4th on the HEALING DONE meters and I'm like o... ok... crying. Then I look at my absorbs and it's like 40k. Then my friend is like what are you talking about you're #1, then shows HEALING AND ABSORBS on skada and I'm like yippee I'm the best.

So what exactly is going on here, who's meters are correct and who's are not? I heard about the extension thing for healing and absorbs doubling the absorbs on skada and he does not have that.

Also, before people think it's a gloating thing, just don't even. Yes I like being top of the charts, so does everyone, it feels good when you have a 515 item level and you're on par with people who are 30 item levels above you. It doesn't need to be mentioned.

Deleted
    Unless you haven't updated recount in like... 3-4 years it should show both :\

Try skada instead, will definitely show both, and the overhealing on absorbs.

You must have an ancient version of Recount if it's not showing absorbs as healing done, get that updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Contreezy View Post
    I'm a disc priest and I use recount.
    That's your problem right there. I'll fix it for you. Set it to show deaths for the current fight. If it's 0 then you're doing ok. And even if it's not, it's most likely not entirely your fault.

Then my friend is like what are you talking about you're #1, then shows HEALING AND ABSORBS on skada and I'm like yippee I'm the best.

So what exactly is going on here, who's meters are correct and who's are not? I heard about the extension thing for healing and absorbs doubling the absorbs on skada and he does not have that.
    If he has a tab called "Healing and Absorbs" then he does have it. Without any extra plugins, Skada only has a tab called "Healing", which already includes absorbs...

Recount's "Healing done" also includes absorbs (you can click on your name and see spells). There will be a hps difference between Recount and Skada because how they calculate that number differs, but you can compare Healing done on your Recount to Healing on your friend's Skada, they should show the same value and also the correct one assuming they're both updated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    That's your problem right there. I'll fix it for you. Set it to show deaths for the current fight. If it's 0 then you're doing ok. And even if it's not, it's most likely not entirely your fault.
    Except that data is useful for cases where people DO die. Numbers aren't the ONLY thing but they still matter. You need data to make good decisions. Is divine star or halo better for our strat? Should I use X build or Y? When does using this CD best help the raid.

Not to mention even if no one dies it doesn't mean you're doing fine. You could be doing terribly, and the other healers are carrying you. It's just a poor metric.

Deleted
    I really don't think you oughta be looking at meters and going "yippee Im the best". Poor healing mentality feeds more and more poor healing mentality. Healing is a supporting role, not a competitive one.

I can sugarcoat the performance meters if I really want to. Won't mean I'm doing the best job I can. The best possible outcome is ALWAYS that the boss dies and everyone is and has been alive.

Get DeathNote and use that to look at your healing. It's like an improved deaths on Skada and Recount. Otherwise, like others have said, don't care for healing too much. Keep people alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    Except that data is useful for cases where people DO die. Numbers aren't the ONLY thing but they still matter. You need data to make good decisions. Is divine star or halo better for our strat? Should I use X build or Y? When does using this CD best help the raid.
    Yup. That's why he should set recount to deaths, so if someone dies he can see how and why they died. For instance I could be topping the hps meter, then scratch my nose, take a sip of my coffee and bam the tank is dead (I know, that doesn't happen anymore), or the more common "meh I'll just ReM / Wild Growth / atonement / etc. all the things, let someone else heal the tank that's getting hit by a truck". By the end of the fight I will still be topping hps meters, but that is NEVER the metric you should be checking as a healer. As a healer your goal is that no one dies from unavoidable damage (and then even saving people who like to stand in fire), and if someone does die, analyze how and why they died so you can prevent this from happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    Not to mention even if no one dies it doesn't mean you're doing fine. You could be doing terribly, and the other healers are carrying you. It's just a poor metric.
    And this is why you should never look at hps. E.G., If you run thok as disc along with a resto druid, the druid will own the hps meter, because the mechanics of that given fight favor the druid's ability to bring the raid back up. That has absolutely nothing to do with the disc's performance. In the case of predictable damage you would top the meters with spirit shell, which doesn't mean in any case that the other healers are performing worse.

The best way to know if you are in fact performing badly would be analyzing a detailed damage vs healing plot. Since that is rarely feasible (cough cough warcraftlogs make it happen), the next best way is letting your fellow healers tell you: if they struggle healing X or Y character(s) during a particular event, or if they burn mana at any given point, and if someone dies analyze how and why they died.

HPS is the most misleading and useless metric in the game, and let no one ever tell you otherwise. Mindless throughput is not how healing should work.

last I heard, recount and skada count absorbs. not sure about tinydps.

worldoflogs does too. not sure about warcraftlogs.

I heard that the healing numbers displayed by Blizzard at the end of a PVP Battleground don't count absorbs though. not sure if true.

Also, before people think it's a gloating thing, just don't even. Yes I like being top of the charts, so does everyone, it feels good when you have a 515 item level and you're on par with people who are 30 item levels above you. It doesn't need to be mentioned.
    It's like people didn't even bother to read my post fully. I couldn't give a damn whether or not I should be looking at who's on top, that isn't what I asked.

But thanks, laplacedemon for giving me the insightful answer I was looking for that actually had something to do with what I had asked.
    Last edited by Contreezy; 2013-12-23 at 05:59 AM.

Deleted
    It's like people didn't even bother to read my post fully. I couldn't give a damn whether or not I should be looking at who's on top, that isn't what I asked.

But thanks, laplacedemon for giving me the insightful answer I was looking for that actually had something to do with what I had asked.
    Oh we read it. That doesnt take away our right to criticize your way of thinking though.

Feel good about whatever you want buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    I really don't think you oughta be looking at meters and going "yippee Im the best". Poor healing mentality feeds more and more poor healing mentality. Healing is a supporting role, not a competitive one.

I can sugarcoat the performance meters if I really want to. Won't mean I'm doing the best job I can. The best possible outcome is ALWAYS that the boss dies and everyone is and has been alive.
    ^^

Frankly, there's no real benefit to the real-time performance of the individual raider in monitoring an in-game meter during a fight. It can be helpful to have real time stats of dps, to track available combat rez's, to make sure nobody's effectively afk'ing in combat, but those are tools more for the raid leader / role officers to make leadership decisions that can be dictated by real time performance. Strategic vs tactical.

Anyone else who is looking at them during a fight is at least to some degree compromising their own performance by paying less attention to fight mechanics & role efficiency/effectiveness. On top of this some may succumb to the temptation to alter their current playstyle to change meter positioning. The former is always bad, though in the case of raid leader/role officers being able to use the information to generate a greater return from that information than their invested focus cost them, it can be worthwhile. In the case of the latter... if you're not already - from the fight's inception - trying to do what you believe to be most effective, you really shouldn't be there in the first place. And if you have been doing that, and allow that data to change your course mid-fight, you're basically opting to do something that is likely worse - not to mention making it more difficult to analyze which approach is more effective post-combat.

My recommendation is, if you want to see meters, set it to 'auto-hide' when in combat so you only see it when the fight is over. Or better yet, if you really want to improve your performance, use a more complete parse analysis tool like WoL to more accurately gauge yourself and your roster: what's your uptime as % of possible on key procs/hots/dots, such as AA, SS, IF, SF/MB, Rapture? Did you use mitigation cd's at the right time? Are certain dps aoe'ing (meter padding ftl) when the elected strategy calls for them to be doing single target damage?

In general, meters are about as easily manipulable for dps and healers alike as ilvl:

[2] [Metermaid]: "Hey I just got to 531 ilvl so can tank wing 4 of SoO cross-realm flex on my warrior!!"
    [2] [Pacefalm]: "Can? Sure. But having taken that caster mace, healing trinket, and int helmto get you there doesn't mean that you should..."

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Oh we read it. That doesnt take away our right to criticize your way of thinking though.

Feel good about whatever you want buddy.
    I will thanks, your griping isn't going to change anything.

My play style is fine, I'm almost 100% sure I didn't ask how I should use my meters or how to play my class. I asked a simple question about meters. Overall, my healing is fine no matter if I look at my meters or not. Frankly, I'm not sure why people are writing paragraphs of information I'm not going to read as I did not ask for whether or not I should be looking at meters.

If your low on healing meters as Disc you are doing it wrong. I am always towering over others as disc. Other healers complain about not being able to get a heal in. If absorbs are broken on meters it's because they are to good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
    If your low on healing meters as Disc you are doing it wrong. I am always towering over others as disc. Other healers complain about not being able to get a heal in. If absorbs are broken on meters it's because they are to good.
    Stop overgearing and take less healers