Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

My brain when I visited the timeless isle after 1+ year of not playing wow.

"Omg the epics the welfares the gears!"

I imagined a vanilla or tbc raider looking at it, its brain will explode.

edit: PS. I imagine the reason blizzard did it was that they wanted to give those epics "bound on account" anyway. So instead of giving them on a blunt boring interface menu, they are on a magical/bizarre/weird "island".

Yea, those welfare epics several tiers below current gear =\ Even after 1+ year break they shouldnt matter. Also, going to the island in blues will probably get you killed outside of the chests.

Its basically equivalent to Naxx geared players getting mc gear... Or Tier6/6.5 geared players farming heroics. Welfare is a relative term for difficulty (if content is easy for you it must be welfare) and guess what, its always existed.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I started wow in late 2006, and was a hardcore elitist through BC and wrath. I skipped most of cata and just barely came back to the game a month ago.

I think the timeless isle is AWESOME.

Deleted
    God forbid loot that has an ilvl that dates back a year ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    I raided in casual in BC, hardcore in Wotlk, and casual in Cata and MoP.

My brain has yet to explode because of Timeless Isle. I quite like the place. Allows me to level a new character any time I want to and get it up to speed a lot faster. Much less daunting than it used to be to reroll or try out new classes.

My experience on the timeless isle has been pretty solid. I group up with people I don't know all the time and hunt rares and elites, do the little challenges scattered about and all that. I got a 535 trinket and a few 535 pieces from burdens which really helps you skip LFR and bump into Flex raids. I think people are just used to purple now and legendary has it's own niche. Maybe they should introduce yellow gear for things like this and keep purple strictly to mythic/normal.

Deleted
    Given the vast chasms between the various tiers of gear on offer this xpac it's fair to say that Timeless epics (sans perfectly itemised Burden gear) are epic on a technicality rather than any utilitarian level of consequence. After that TBC raider's head exploded when confronted with the existence of these "epics" he'd probably be ganked by some dude in LFR gear getting his one and only bloody coin of the night.

If I had quit during vanilla and come back during timeless isle my mind would have been blown at how great it was that there was a catchup mechanism that didn't require getting 19-39 other people to farm obsolete raids for you.

Full 496 gear will get you jackshit. People will laugh at you when you ask to join pug flex raids.

My brain on Timeless Isle after three month of trying to get the pets that drop from rares: imagine the sound of a flat lining heart monitor.

Purple means nothing since like what, 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimeir View Post
    Yea, those welfare epics several tiers below current gear =\ Even after 1+ year break they shouldnt matter. Also, going to the island in blues will probably get you killed outside of the chests.

Its basically equivalent to Naxx geared players getting mc gear... Or Tier6/6.5 geared players farming heroics. Welfare is a relative term for difficulty (if content is easy for you it must be welfare) and guess what, its always existed.
    I don't think you understand what welfare means. There is basically no reason for someone geared in current normal mode raid epics to farm timeless isle for the BoA epics, other than perhaps to loot the one time only chests. Starting on the isle in blues is by no means grounds for concern. Within 4 hours of hitting 90 in quest greens and a few dungeon blues, I had a warlock geared in full 496/535 epics with the exception of a second trinket and a weapon (476 from the AH).

Welfare means giving someone something for doing basically nothing, which is exactly what the timeless isle is. Looting chests and tagging a mob with one spell to get enough free gear to be able to immediately jump into a current raid is not what vanilla or BC were about. It started in Wrath, and now has become out of control. And no, it has not always existed. The only way to get epics in vanilla was to buy them from the AH if you were lucky, get one from a specific dungeon boss if you were extremely lucky, or raid. If you wanted more than 2-3 epics, you were doing at least Zul'Gurub, most likely MC. And while those raids became much easier as new raids were released and people were able to be carried through them by players with higher tier gear, it still required time, effort, drop luck, etc.

If you spent a few nights a week raiding during the first tier of this expansion, then you took a break and came back and discovered that any could go 1-90 and out gear you all in the span of a week, wouldn't you be a little pissed off?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantil View Post
    If you spent a few nights a week raiding during the first tier of this expansion, then you took a break and came back and discovered that any could go 1-90 and out gear you all in the span of a week, wouldn't you be a little pissed off?
    Not at all. I raided during the first tier of this expansion, took a break at the start of SoO and came back a month or so ago. Old content is just that...old content. It'd be like hitting 100 when WoD comes out and being upset that greens are better than my level 90 epics. It happens every patch/expansion. Time passes, gear gets better.

Timeless isle is at least much better than farming Justice Points for previous tier equip. At least you have to do something: also there is no "best" equip there: since you can be unlucky and only get a 3 stat-suffix.

Also we are no longer in Vanilla. Luckily!

It started in Wrath, and now has become out of control. And no, it has not always existed.
    Actually, the first time the term "Welfare gear" was used was back in BC in reference to Arena gear. I believe it started when Arena Season 2 came out, less than halfway through the expansion.

"Welfare gear" has existed for every single Warcraft expansion. It's been around for the majority of Warcraft's lifespan. I don't see how it's "mind blowing" to see certain epics that are very easy to get, especially as a catch-up mechanic.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2013-12-22 at 11:13 PM.

Getting full 496 is no big deal nowadays

Welfare epics started in BC with the epic PVP gear being available for honor, I remember quite well that there was plenty of crying about them being welfare epics back then too.

Edit: Also the justice point vendor on the Isle added in 2.4.
    Last edited by Ineluki; 2013-12-22 at 11:16 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you quit playing for a year and expect to not to be left behind ...?

I think it's pretty stupid they're epic. The burden upgraded items should be epic but not the 496 ones...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

SoO LFR requires 496 ilvl. That's an entire gear set from Timeless Isle. If you don't already have a geared toon, that takes a while.