Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    Yeah, the best part is, you ding 90, have your main send over a full set, grab the 2 easy Burdens and poof, you can join a normal raid and take down Garrosh. Heroics? Not as easily, but normal you certainly can. That just shouldn't happen.
    NO ONE with a somewhat sane brain will take you for Normal SoO with Timeless gear, No one!
    Rule of thumb: Current tier entry level equals previous tier end level... Previous tier was 522..
    Let alone the timeless gear is for the most part horrendous itemized.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Yeah, the best part is, you ding 90, have your main send over a full set, grab the 2 easy Burdens and poof, you can join a normal raid and take down Garrosh. Heroics? Not as easily, but normal you certainly can. That just shouldn't happen.
    definitely not. the ONLY way someone would let you into a normal SoO in full 496 gear, would be if you know a group of raiders/guild that will carry you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Which is what happened in Cata and subs dropped like crazy, because being locked into wiping on 2+ hour long heroics was what people thought they wanted based on "vanilla popular opinions."
    Money isn't everything and I'm saddened to see that companies, and worse, players have adapted to this mindset that everything is allowed as long as it "makes more profit" and that is somehow the meaning of life instead challenging themselves and overcoming those challenges, they merely give up.

A very American style of thinking but then again, they're going down the drain because of it.

Yeah right --TI gear is so poorly itemised that very few pieces are useful at all - ToT lfr gear is far better . healing gear from TI has no spirit what so ever , no sockets on gear , random stats means it may take you a long while to get the piece you need ( took me 9 rings / burdens to get one to replace my 5.1 VP ring ) . I examine everyone who joins my guilds flex pugs , if they have a high level of TI gear then they don't get in .

TI gear is only useful for two things .
    1) get a high enough Ilvl to get into SoO LFR
    2) ok gear if you are NOT a raider

Also why do people worry about what other people have anyway or how they got it --I couldn't care less , the only toons I am worried about is mine . Its not like there is ANY prestige in it -- its a game .

Also Purple is just a colour -the stats on the gear is the only thing that maters
    Last edited by Sul; 2013-12-23 at 12:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    "Omg the epics the welfares the gears!"

I imagined a vanilla or tbc raider looking at it, its brain will explode.

edit: PS. I imagine the reason blizzard did it was that they wanted to give those epics "bound on account" anyway. So instead of giving them on a blunt boring interface menu, they are on a magical/bizarre/weird "island".
    Instead of just complaining about the fact these *cough* "epics" *cough* are easy to get, why not look into the reasons behind why this is so? staggering concept for some WoW players ^_^

- - - Updated - - -

A very American style of thinking but then again, they're going down the drain because of it.
    Believe it or not, but Europe is really no different. Come to the financial center of Europe sometime and see (London as a matter of fact, at least in the banking sector...or is it Zurich? *puzzled*).

Vanilla, TBC are over. Move on. God, it's like the ex bf who won't go away. She's moving on with her life, get over it. Yes, it is YOU, it's not her. You want everything to stay the same, but the world is too big to just keep you happy all the time. Call her all the names you want, she's leaving and she's not coming back.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Unless a guild is willing to carry you I can't imagine this actually happening. With the two burdens you would be, what 505 at best? You're still an entire normal raid tier behind in item level. The only people that would take you would be friends who are farming the entire raid on normal.

Deleted
    Shitty gear that acts as a catch-up mechanic and people complain simply because they are coloured purple. If they had the exact same stats but were coloured blue, would that somehow be better?

Hey OP, I was a vanilla raider. I have no issues what so ever with the Isle epics. None.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm fond of the isle, it gets people talking a bit, and it is a fast way of gearing up once you figure out what is going on! Recently I've had a couple of alts that were 90 but only really in blues because I couldn't be arsed to rep/heroic grind to get into LFR etc so had just left them at the wayside, but now in a week I have 3 more toons that are at least in ToT LFR if not SoO LFR!

Deleted
    only bad thing i can say about the TI gear is the fact its 496 ilvl. it should be a bit lower in my opinion.

hate seeing people in LFR, or even some flex groups in 496 TI gear with the wrong stats, no gems and no enchants doing half the dps or healing they should be doing, or even a tank with 450k hp, and somehow they think its acceptable.

496 is relatively worse than dungeon gear ever was in a last of expansion tier. If you want to flaunt your lack of braincells, sure cry about "welfare epics", but even noobs will laugh at you when you try to join even a bad flex pug in your glorious purples.

Not to mention the random stats and lack of sockets, and the complete lack of a weapon, making the gear even shittier than the ilvl indicates to anyone with a brain.

The entire ideal behind the ‘welfare epic’ is a diseased and flawed mindset. It comes from people unable to accept changes in their environment. Those that can accept change easily merely shake their heads at these kinds of people or secretly laugh at them.

Back in the days of old you were very fortunate to have one or two purple items and it became a sign of skill, a badge of sorts.

However since Cata Blizz decided that the gear color = what you get when you disenchant them and purple items have become more common. Now all our alts can be adequately geared for raiding and enchant mats for bracers and weapons are common so we can all afford to have them on our gear. This opens a path so more people can be raid worthy rather than being the standard that excludes them. All of your alts can be raid worthy, if you need to switch out a healer for a dps you can do so without benching some one.

The ideal of the ‘welfare epic’ is todays mullet. These are the equal of the guy who still wears a mullet, plays whitesnake all the time and loudly declares that the 80’s hair bands will rise again and metal will rule once more. Its the lady jogging down the street with 80’s hair, terry cloth headband and wristbands with an actual tapedeck on her hip in 80’s excercising clothes. These are all people unable to accept change in their environment to the degree that others can’t help but snicker at them and their antics to keep the old ways alive.

Todays skill is not denoted by color of the words on gear. It is denoted 3 pixels lower where it says, “LFR, Normal, Flex, and Heroic’ and the ilevel of the gear. That does mean you have to know how to count and read though.

‘Welfare epics’ don’t exist anymore, there is just gear with purple words that give you purple disenchant mats and there are people we point and laugh at for not being able to change with the times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    I imagined a vanilla or tbc raider looking at it, its brain will explode.
    My brain is still functioning fine, thank you.

Aside from that, if you look at the possibilities we had at the end of TBC, there was enough gear you could get easily, like the PvP sets and weapons, badges of justice gear, as well as crafted gear (when the primal nether and alike stopped being soulbound in 2.4).

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    I started wow in late 2006, and was a hardcore elitist through BC and wrath. I skipped most of cata and just barely came back to the game a month ago.

I think the timeless isle is AWESOME.
    I'm with you on it. It allowed me to come back and get into current raid tiers much quicker. I didn't need to screw around for weeks in heroics and old content raids to gear up which is excellent, because I really hated Heart of Fear. I seem to fall asleep in that raid because I just don't care about what I'm fighting.

You are not going to be taking down Garrosh in Normals or flex with a 450 weapon, even in LFR they are going to boot your ass on the first or second wipe when all you can muster is 30-40k dps. The weapon is where the majority of your dps is coming from. The weapons you still have to grind for or buy off the auction house and It has to be a 502+ weapon. The Mindless Isle weapons are too shitty to spend 10k coins on, just buy mogu tokens and grind out tot until you get a weapon. Buy a valor trinket from shadowpan assault. Shadowpan Assault sells 522 valor gear and thats only slightly worse than soo lfr gear.

I recently did this with an enhancement shaman, in 450 weapons I was pulling 34k, once I got 2 502 weapons I was up to 70k dps, I recently got 1 528 soo lr weapon and now I pull 120k dps with a piece or two of 528 gear, 2 burdens and a couple 502 pieces.

If you are upset over welfare gear, I think you're playing for the wrong reasons. I also think you are the problem with the MMO community today.
    Apart from the extreme abuse of anonymity, there are way too many self-centered players. If you are only playing for gear, I think this is the wrong genre for you.

Yes, gear plays a big role in the sense of accomplishment in mmo's, but at the same time no one really seems to appreciate the challenge. I look more forward to downing bosses and playing with a bunch of people all over the world. And I think that is what the genre is intended for. Not something for you to flesh out a pixel-based ego.

Sadly, the best part of WoW (PVE) for me currently is the Brawler's Guild. It's fun, challenging, and I don't have to deal with jerks when I do it. Which is a sad realization considering I should be excited to play with other people.

Fact of the matter is, most of the people upset, wouldn't turn around and help incoming players to gear up to current content. So most have no right to be upset. Other players have to catch up somehow, Timeless Isle is a good way to do that.

Deleted
    The first few days I had the feeling I was playing on a private server, epix everywhere and a lot of lag.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you told people back in vanilla that you could run around an island collecting epics from chests under tree's people would tell you to F off
    Hi

I came into this thread thinking that the answer would be

"Oh snap, there's some really weird stuff here... why did that Kilnmaster just 1 shot me?"

To me, Timeless Isle is good content to play catch up with, considering there are more reasons than just timeless drops to be there. Between Celestials, a few achieves and pets, exalted mount, unique items, bloody coins, minigames, and some interestingly designed rares (evermaw), it's probably one of the most non-linear but easy to learn pieces of content they've ever done. 10/10. Of course, everyone gets bored of content after a couple of months :P

I don't care if players get to catch up, the real question is: Are they good enough to at least do normals consistently and successfully?
    Do not underestimate us.

I don't recall ever hearing about welfare gear back in Vanilla. Blizzard never bothered giving players a way to get gear outside of raid progression. Towards the end of Vanilla full naxx geared players owned the show, they even slaughtered High Warlords in the "pvp gear" and by slaughtered I mean you could actually be one shot by an auto attack. Tell me how often does a lvl 90 walk up to another lvl 90 and one shot them with white damage?

Vanilla was plain and simple, if you wanted gear you raided current content, and if you didn't you got one shot as if you were a lowbie.