Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    http://novusaeterno.com/

This one is said to come out in April 2014 so keep an eye out for that.
    It's a MMORTS though so I don't know if it counts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbi3PBGLWj8

This feels like Homeworld to me than RTS

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Now, look at Starcraft 2. Completely different mentality. "You have less than 100 APM? NOOB". "You built Forge before Gateway against Terran? NOOB". "You didn't know about 12 minutes Roach+Hydra timing attack? NOOB". It's like people compete in their ego today, instead of having fun with the game trying different plays. No, it is different now. People play the same refined builds every game and bark at those who try to play on their own.
    Noone calling you a noob if you play against an AI, but if you play against another living, breathing player, what do you expect? If you play on a ladder what do you expect? People play there to win the match, the faster, better and more informed player will win. There are billion other gametypes for SC2 for fun. You can play custom 1v1 with friends, Poker, Micro Wars, MOBAs even frickin Tron within Sc2.

Fun maps exist for AoE2, W3 aswell. Seriously, what do you expect when you play on a ladder and try to do weird things and then being told 'noob' when roflstomped to the ground? Ladder is for serious competitive 1v1. Play 2v2 with a friend on a skype, and just do silly things, i always had a blast doing that.

I do not play Arenas in WoW neither and then expect myself owning people and 'having fun' with playing 2hand enhance shaman the whole time. For that i can do Battlegrounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I still hope we get a new Command & Conquer game, despite the last one being cancelled. Perhaps a reboot to either the Tiberium or Red Alert universe
    Even if its in the making, not even announced yet, so minimum 2 years ~ but i honestly doubt any AAA RTS game will come out in the next 2-3 years. Theres just not enough market for it, every money is in the MOBA/FPS and MMOwhatever genres
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I still hope we get a new Command & Conquer game, despite the last one being cancelled. Perhaps a reboot to either the Tiberium or Red Alert universe
    A remake in a new engine and units would be great. It gives the game a new life. (ra 3 with all new units was trash)

Good example:
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    There are very few fantasy-styled RTS that are any good, sadly. The best one is totally Warcraft series. Also there was Spellforce, but for some reason I didn't like the demo version, don't remember why - people say it was a great game. Aside from that... I really don't remember any fantasy RTS worth playing.
    Actually there are more. I used to love Battle for Middle Earth 2. Despite it coming out after the LotR movies to cash in for the success, it was actually very good. Then theres Age of Mythology. Another really good game but pretty old too.

OT.. I'd like to see another massive RTS though like the Civilization games. Lots of building, advancing through ages, upgrades, LONG games instead of everything just focused on war and tactics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    That's a good thing about StarCraft. It keeps you on your toe for the entire match. You have to know every little timing to gain all the little advantages. Those little advantages could potentially snowball.
    Sure but it's still too fast paced. It would be nice if they slowed the game speed at least 5-10 times and gave players some better way to use unit abilities (autocast?).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    The latest Age of Empires and Civ 5 was pretty brilliant, dunno about the OP.
    AoE HD isn't "latest", it's still the same old AoE.
    And Civ5 is nowhere near RTS, it's TBS.

Skimming through other replies, I see some of you can't differentiate between RTS and TBS/4X/RTT/TBT/etc.
    Last edited by Vargur; 2013-12-28 at 09:49 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

http://www.tauniverse.com/ Best RTS game I've ever played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Noone calling you a noob if you play against an AI, but if you play against another living, breathing player, what do you expect? If you play on a ladder what do you expect? People play there to win the match, the faster, better and more informed player will win. There are billion other gametypes for SC2 for fun. You can play custom 1v1 with friends, Poker, Micro Wars, MOBAs even frickin Tron within Sc2.

Fun maps exist for AoE2, W3 aswell. Seriously, what do you expect when you play on a ladder and try to do weird things and then being told 'noob' when roflstomped to the ground? Ladder is for serious competitive 1v1. Play 2v2 with a friend on a skype, and just do silly things, i always had a blast doing that.
    I played AOE2 over Internet when it was popular. I played quite a lot, but I don't remember a single time when anyone called his opponent a "noob". Some people really had no clue how to play, but players respected each other anyway, because we knew that we had come to have fun, not to earn some virtual "ladder points". Actually, I remember one 4v4 game where one of our allies didn't know how to train units - and, instead of ragetyping, "Noob, you destroyed our game, l2p idiot, etc.", we helped him learn and protected him from enemy attacks. It was a lot of fun.

Now, try to play, not even ladder, just Monobattle custom map in Starcraft 2. There is no points to earn, nothing. And yet should someone forget to build detection in time and get attacked by DT - the whole team starts ranting, "F!@#$ng noob, l2p, gtfo". You see, Starcraft 2 is stiff competition in skill, with no place for fun left.

I think this is one of the problems of today's gaming. People take it all too seriously, and, so, the games are made seriously as well. Back in early 90-s, when few people had Internet at home and, so, had no one to compare their skill to, people just played for fun. It was, like climbing on mountains or diving, just a great way to spend your time and get a lot of positive emotions.
    Now every game even before release has many strategies developed, Youtube videos intensely commented by thousands potential players, etc. There is no room for just having fun: if someone sees you play Starcraft 2 as Zerg and mutate Overlord not at 9, but at 8 supply, he will say you are a horrible player.

There is just something in people today that differs them from people back in 80-s or 90-s. Today everyone wants to be better than the others, to prove others and, more importantly, him/herself that he/she is good. Like, in 80-s, if you don't go for PhD in Physics after undergraduate study, no one would really comment on that: you do whatever you want. Today, it is, "Dude, you've wasted 4 years. Your Bachelor's diploma is not needed anywhere. Go work in restaurant, it is the best you can do". Same with games. In 90-s, it is, "Dude, I went 2 macro hatches and managed to win! Really? Cool, dude!". Today, it is, "WTF, you went 2 macro hatches? Freaking noob, go watch some HDStarcraft, you may learn something".

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so that people take gaming 'too seriously'. I think you were just unlucky with team mates, back in 2000, i was called lot of things the first i played on bnet online with Starcraft, and i was told to gtfo few times in Tactical Ops and Unreal Tournament, its not today's 'stuff'.

The only thing what changed is that more people play these games, and that makes it more ass holes aswell. The pure fact that Monobattles exist in Sc2 points towards the fact that people want to have fun and not to take the game too seriously
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    FPS casuals killed the RTS. And I hate new RTS games that have such overbearing AI once you get past Easy mode, especially Star Craft 2. You get no leeway to learn builds unless you play against other people and I'd rather not be roflstomped by people who just play the meta game so they can rank up.

There are very few fantasy-styled RTS that are any good, sadly. The best one is totally Warcraft series. Also there was Spellforce, but for some reason I didn't like the demo version, don't remember why - people say it was a great game. Aside from that... I really don't remember any fantasy RTS worth playing.
    I honestly think at this point we've reached the point of... eh, tricky to explain. There's a void where good fantasy RTS games once were, and I don't think any big developer is going to fill it. I think the best odds we have is some group of excitable fans deciding "hey, we can make a game... if we learn how to do absolutely everything", and then doing it. Kind of like Path of Exile. A few fans who weren't happy with Diablo 3 kept talking about what they'd do different (much like the "I could do so much better" attitude you occasionally see on the WoW forums here), and then they went ahead and acted on it. They made the game they felt they were missing out on.

We need that. But with RTS. And a Fantasy one. Yup.
    Last edited by TheHappyHozen; 2013-12-29 at 09:51 AM.
    "I should think that someday soon, there will be many more pandaren adventurers to speak of, making a difference all over the world. Don't you think?" - Lorewalker Cho

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NarnBloodyknuckles View Post
    Kind of like Path of Exile. A few fans who weren't happy with Diablo 3 kept talking about what they'd do different (much like the "I could do so much better" attitude you occasionally see on the WoW forums here), and then they went ahead and acted on it. They made the game they felt they were missing out on.

We need that. But with RTS. And a Fantasy one. Yup.
    Path of Exile began when a small group of Action RPG enthusiasts became frustrated by the lack of new releases in the genre and decided to develop their own game.
    had nothing to do with D3

but anyway, it's the same principle. But i would love for Blizzard to either make a WC4 (the excuse with WoW being here and therefor they can't make a WC4 is stupid, the game doesn't have to follow a perfect timeline and could just be a warcraft story that won't be seen in WoW) Or make a HD remake of WC3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    but anyway, it's the same principle. But i would love for Blizzard to either make a WC4 (the excuse with WoW being here and therefor they can't make a WC4 is stupid, the game doesn't have to follow a perfect timeline and could just be a warcraft story that won't be seen in WoW) Or make a HD remake of WC3
    I don't think Warcraft 4 is going to happen: Blizzard will be busy supporting Starcraft 2 for at least a few more years, and then it will probably be Starcraft 3 or some completely new project.
    As for HD remake, I don't think WC3 needs it: the game looks good even by today's standards. WC1, WC2 - now these are the games I would definitely love to see in HD. Warcraft 2 in DosBox in 640x480 seems a little bit outdated...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    FPS casuals killed the RTS. And I hate new RTS games that have such overbearing AI once you get past Easy mode, especially Star Craft 2. You get no leeway to learn builds unless you play against other people and I'd rather not be roflstomped by people who just play the meta game so they can rank up.
    Funny thing though.. Strategy games are very far from "dead". Its just that they always release this boring "map" of combat games though. Or too fast paced.
    Last edited by mmocc089ef6a74; 2013-12-29 at 01:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck RTS i want my Point and Click adventures back :'(

R.I.P Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2, Monkey Island Series, Day of the Tentacle etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne25uk View Post

There are point and clicks around. The problem is that the gamer community has matured so much that it's no longer impressed by these games, they want more and the market doesn't offer more. Hit Steam for quite a bit of "good" point and click games, you'll likely not be impressed but then I just told you why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Spam View Post
    There are point and clicks around. The problem is that the gamer community has matured so much that it's no longer impressed by these games, they want more and the market doesn't offer more. Hit Steam for quite a bit of "good" point and click games, you'll likely not be impressed but then I just told you why.
    The world is a cruel place,if only people learnt to slow down and take it easy and not rush things out every week then maybe the point and click would have a home,so well done new gamers you killed my franchise :'(

The world is a cruel place,if only people learnt to slow down and take it easy and not rush things out every week then maybe the point and click would have a home,so well done new gamers you killed my franchise :'(
    Point and Clicks killed themselves after everyone and their mother wanted to create one with completely fucked up logic that forced pixel-hunting to the extreme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point and Clicks can alienate people. When "Escape From Monkey Island" came out on Playstation 2 in 2001, I was 7 (and a half!) years old and my dad came home from work and gave it to me. I had no idea what was going on and played it briefly before completely giving up after about 5 hours played time. Went back when I was about 12-14 I think and actually kinda enjoyed it. Would I enjoy it today? Probably not though. I think they have their place in the sun for a certain period but either side of that you just lose interest.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Point and Click games are from a much simpler time and these days they just aren't that popular.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-12-29 at 03:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Point and Click games are from a much simpler time and these days they just aren't that popular.
    I stil wait for a new neverhood or a movie at least.

(not a movie realy..and it russan)

The Neverhood movie was confirmed in a magazine article on 25 June, 2007. This was set to be one of the first projects from a newly formed company, Frederator Films, a company specifically made to produce films under a budget of $20 million. An IMDB entry said that it would be released in 2011, however, this entry is now deleted from the site, as Doug Tennapel announced on his blog, Newt World, that the Neverhood Movie was dead. This depressed fans, but he has recently announced that the Neverhood movie is now only 'On Hold'.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought RTS genre died in the end of 90s, don't remember anything interesting since then (except maybe homeworld 2)