Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    SHAMLESS COMMERCIAL:

Age off empires2 is very much alive. I'm playing it every day. There are no better RTS than this. Right now its cheap on Steam aswell with the new HD version.

You can easly find GOOD oppents aswell, or if your new, bad players also exsist.

You can also save money and get a cracked version off originale AOE2 and play on Voobly.

RTS never died. They are still alive. Right now Viper (1# world AOE2 player) just won Clash of the Titans with money pools for over 15k dollars...Okay its a drop inn the water compared to SC2, but I really like AOE2.

Edit: Look up Zeroempires on youtube for some pro AOE2 videos....Especially viper's recent games inn clash of the titans vs Jordan.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I think OP is saying that the traditional base-building RTS is "dead" outside of Starcraft. The last decent C&C game was 3 (2007), and the series is now a free-to-play game that might not even emphasize the bases, and probably wont be very good judging by the recent C&C games. The last (new) AoE game came out in 2005, the Dawn of War series hasn't had building since 2 was released, Dune is dead; there really isn't a lot out there anymore for that traditional RTS feel, although I think that PA may scratch that itch. Today, RTS games seem to be more like Company of Heroes/Dawn of War and less like C&C/Dune.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Starcraft Broodwar is the best RTS ever, Djuntas, AoE2 is not even close to that!

But on a serious note, AoE2 has a really active community, there are hundreds of people online on Voobly (its a downloadable hamachi like client).
    Personally i prefer BW above all else, but AoE2 is an expectional game
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Honest opinion and nothing else?..

I always thought RTS games were a product of their less advanced times. They were the one few types of good games you could make on the computer from 1996-2004. They never were appealing to a mass auidence and they were abandoned with easier and more appealing genres. I say this as an old RTS player who used the cheats. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still waiting for another age of empire/ mythology game and a command and conquer game to be announced

The base-building RTS games like Command & Conquer is pretty much dying out, especially on the competitive side. If you don't like multiplayer in SC2, you might aswell forget being ever competitive with the genre. I was really hoping that Generals 2 would be a great second base building RTS game alongside SC2, but sadly it got cancelled.

I really miss the days when Westwood made C&C in 1995-2003

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    The base-building RTS games like Command & Conquer is pretty much dying out, especially on the competitive side. If you don't like multiplayer in SC2, you might aswell forget being ever competitive with the genre. I was really hoping that Generals 2 would be a great second base building RTS game alongside SC2, but sadly it got cancelled.

I really miss the days when Westwood made C&C in 1995-2003
    Iirc, multiplayer in Generals was shitty, everyone played red alert instead (at least in my city), but even play RA2 now, it's all dumbs down to making 100 Kirovs and shitting on everything. It was fun back then, but now it's just ""meh"+nostalgia"

I don't like how people declare whole genre as "dying out" while there is SC2 with huge fanbase and multiplayer support AND bunch of new RTS games released every year. Just like spoiled kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

well, Blizzard is planning to update warcraft 1-3 maybe 3 and make it compatible with todays computers.

The company that made Age of Empires and Age of Mythology broke apart ages ago. Here's to hoping someone else picks it up but it seems unlikely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    they stopped making Age of Empire games, that would be my bet.
    Microsoft had the brilliant idea to disband Ensemble Studios...

I bought AoE2:HD and it's newest xpac. I've been playing the ever living crap out of it too. AoE2 came out in what... 99? 13 years later I still play the shit out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    The company that made Age of Empires and Age of Mythology broke apart ages ago. Here's to hoping someone else picks it up but it seems unlikely.
    As I said, Microsoft disbanded it, they didn't break apart. Apparently Halo Wars wasn't good enough (and it was amazing, even for a console rts)

my fave RTS of all time is actually Lord of the rings, The battle for middle earth 2.

incredibly underrated EA RTS based on the tolkien universe not a specific movie.

great game. sadly it has faded out. hoping with all this newfound hobbit popularity we might see a 3rd

to my surprise reading most of these posts, I haven't seen one mention of Rise of Nations, another little gem from the industry, I was quite sad when Rise of Legends fell flat, but Rise of Nations is definitely one of those RTS I still pull out from time to time and play for awhile

Old school RTS is basically dead except StarCraft2. The market simply doesn't demand for this type of games for a lot of reasons and I am saddened.

I am pretty sure WC4 as an RTS will likely not happen. LotV will problably be the last RTS game from Blizzard. RTS games are simply not profitable enough compared to other genres. SC2 which is the fastest selling RTS game of all time sold a lot less than all these fps and many games out there.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-12-24 at 03:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    well, Blizzard is planning to update warcraft 1-3 maybe 3 and make it compatible with todays computers.
    Source? Cause this sounds pretty groundless to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    They are going to update warcraft 1 and 2 like "HD" versions. I've read that on gameinformer
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...odern-pcs.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    at blizzcon someone asked, and they said

"So, we actually have a guy on our team — actually several guys on our team — who are actually working on a side project to do something like that in some form or fashion," Brack said (via Polygon) when asked if the company would ever remake WC1 and WC2. "We're fans of Warcraft 1, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, and we'd love to replay those games for sure."

- - - Updated - - -

which let me add. It's good to see the classics return. I never played warcraft 1 and I regret never doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post

I am pretty sure WC4 as an RTS will likely not happen. LotV will problably be the last RTS game from Blizzard. RTS games are simply not profitable enough compared to other genres. SC2 which is the fastest selling RTS game of all time sold a lot less than all these fps and many games out there.
    The champs of RTS will make another.... its just not telling how long. They sell tons of games just from people playing the campaign, not to mention the "small" community that watches every tournament available. I know maybe 100k viewers for a major is small these days because of LoL, but i still think its the second biggest esport out there.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    at blizzcon someone asked, and they said

"So, we actually have a guy on our team — actually several guys on our team — who are actually working on a side project to do something like that in some form or fashion," Brack said (via Polygon) when asked if the company would ever remake WC1 and WC2. "We're fans of Warcraft 1, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, and we'd love to replay those games for sure."

- - - Updated - - -

which let me add. It's good to see the classics return. I never played warcraft 1 and I regret never doing so.
    You can download it for free from *cough* places *cough* and runs perfectly fine on Win7, the game aged suprisingly well and still playable. Once a year or so i always do a full W1-W2-W3 playtrough

Warcraft 1 was the first RTS i have ever played 5 or 6 year old, was soooo hard back then

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    The champs of RTS will make another.... its just not telling how long. They sell tons of games just from people playing the campaign, not to mention the "small" community that watches every tournament available. I know maybe 100k viewers for a major is small these days because of LoL, but i still think its the second biggest esport out there.
    Its probably third, with LoL and Dota2 being the first two, but genre wise nothing ever comes closer to SC2, Brood War has tens of thousand people in Korea watching their event and probably a thousand or so in the West, AoE2 has few thousand people watching the big tournaments and pretty much thats it streaming wise. Other than BW and AoE2 i don't know any RTS community which still has competitive scene
    Last edited by Darksoldierr; 2013-12-24 at 09:46 AM.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    What happened to the RTS genre?
    EA bought Westwood.
    /thread