Teen romance in anime and TV

What's up with teen and kiddie romances in anime and TV? Sure teens are most likely the target audience for many of these shows but I've witnessed many adults cheering characters on in suspense, saying "Omg, did they kiss? Did they kiss?" In particular, I have shows in mind such as, Serena & Darien from Sailor Moon, Brenda & Dylan from 90210 (despite actors being 20+ at the time), Korra & what's his face from Avatar, Naruto & Sakura, Kagome & Inuyasha, and Party of Five (I didn't watch it but my friend did; like, pho reelz).

Is anyone else revolted watching teens kiss on TV or in anime?

Eh, I don't really see a problem with it. Generally the audience is looking for something they can relate to, and romance fits that bill no matter what age you are(though there are some exceptions, such as yourself perhaps). They're only teenagers because the target audience happens to be teenagers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    What's up with teen and kiddie romances in anime and TV? Sure teens are most likely the target audience for many of these shows but I've witnessed many adults cheering characters on in suspense, saying "Omg, did they kiss? Did they kiss?" In particular, I have shows in mind such as, Serena & Darien from Sailor Moon, Brenda & Dylan from 90210 (despite actors being 20+ at the time), Korra & what's his face from Avatar, Naruto & Sakura, Kagome & Inuyasha, and Party of Five (I didn't watch it but my friend did; like, pho reelz).

Is anyone else revolted watching teens kiss on TV or in anime?
    not really. i mean, did you date when you were in high school? did you kiss who you dated if you did? it is perfectly natural.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like noone had a relationship when they were teenagers >.>

IMO that's pretty normal and i'm ok with it, the one i think is a little weird is when they make that with kids (they almost never do it, but when they do is weird)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    try watching dance in a vampire bund

Chelly
    Ya know teens usually do more than just kissing

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Why would that bother me? More than 90% of the yuri romances I read are about teenagers, so I don't really see the problem.

Deleted
    Uh, is it controversial that kids kiss on fictional content - When kids have sex in real life at maybe even 14 or 15?

What?

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    not really. i mean, did you date when you were in high school? did you kiss who you dated if you did? it is perfectly natural.
    Yes I did and at that time thought nothing extraordinary about teens kissing on TV. As an adult, I find myself saying ewww and laughing cause 'teen love' is indeed forever and high school hardships are serious business lol. I just get creeped out observing other adults getting excited over minors getting physical.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Yes I did and at that time thought nothing extraordinary about teens kissing on TV. As an adult, I find myself saying ewww and laughing cause 'teen love' is indeed forever and high school hardships are serious business lol. I just get creeped out observing other adults getting excited over minors getting physical.
    while i do agree with your sarcastic remarks there about high school romance/hardship, that doesn't change the fact that teens date and kiss.

I think for a lot of people who consider it to be 'the best years of your life' enjoy that kind of stuff. I think part of it is nostalgia for simpler times as well as nostalgia of their first love.

While I have watched some of the shows you have named I don't personally watch them for this purpose. That being said I didn't have a particularly enjoyable high school experience so perhaps that is why I have little interest in such things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    While I have watched some of the shows you have named I don't personally watch them for this purpose. That being said I didn't have a particularly enjoyable high school experience so perhaps that is why I have little interest in such things.
    Those shows also seem to make the high school experience more dramatic than normal, and obvious stereotyping sticks out, namely the jocks acting like bullies, (aside from a few exceptions such as in the show Daria) everyone striving to be like the "popular" cliques, and making being part of a lesser clique as a terrible thing. Then again, my high school experience was very quiet and uninteresting, and I would think that if they would have made a show out of that, then it would flop terribly.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    I think for a lot of people who consider it to be 'the best years of your life' enjoy that kind of stuff. I think part of it is nostalgia for simpler times as well as nostalgia of their first love.
    Thanks, I never considered things from this perspective. Things make more sense now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Like noone had a relationship when they were teenagers >.>

IMO that's pretty normal and i'm ok with it, the one i think is a little weird is when they make that with kids (they almost never do it, but when they do is weird)
    Remember where you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Probably because it is "normally" the time of your life where you start/continue having romantic feelings?
    It's also the time that most people have the first physical relationship with another.

I see romance in many shows, including that of where the characters are over 23+, maybe you're just only watching the teenage shows?
    Don't get me wrong but young romance is way funnier then adult romance - there's a lot more cute struggling and mistake-making.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there's much wrong with it as long as its not out of place or forced like it is with Korra.

I'm not really revolted. I'm all in for character development, but if the woman is just an emotional kissing machine for the hero, then I'm not a big fan of that. I like two independent characters, doing whatever their role asks them to do, yet having a relationship with one another.
    New season. Fun times.

" Who would of thought a small kid from Aberdeen, Washington, who was always labelled a B+ player, who would of thought that guy could of main evented Wrestlemania? Nobody. Nobody except ...you guys."

I love teen romance in movies and stuff, cuz then they build up all this tension and start snogging it up really good and then I can be like "awww yeah, get some!"
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.