Thread: dat silk scraps

dat silk scraps

Anyone else get in on the party? I bought 60000 back in September when it was still 8c lol. They called me crazy..."oh it'll never go that high."

Now it's at 1s 88c.

I feel like a silky Scarface.

FYI, bank runes and sigils for the future runes/sigil overhaul!
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-12-26 at 08:17 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Anyone else get in on the party? I bought 60000 back in September when it was still 8c lol. They called me crazy..."oh it'll never go that high."

Now it's at 1s 88c.

I feel like a silky Scarface.

FYI, bank runes and sigils for the future runes/sigil overhaul!
    I had a shit ton of silk simply because I never throw it away. Made a decent chunk of change just from being lazy and throwing it all on the TP a little more than market price.

But what is this sigil/rune overhaul you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I had a shit ton of silk simply because I never throw it away. Made a decent chunk of change just from being lazy and throwing it all on the TP a little more than market price.

But what is this sigil/rune overhaul you're talking about?
    anet has alluded in the past that they intend on overhauling sigils and runes to make them more interesting.

Deleted
    Just curious Tradewind, how much proffit have all those stacks brought you until now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    Just curious Tradewind, how much proffit have all those stacks brought you until now?
    Unfortunately I didn't hold out until 1s84c it is today, but I made about 570g. It's about a 1000% return. It looked like it was topping out, then it just shot up again.

I could have made a lot more, but I'm not too sad about it lol. Next step is runes and sigils, I have about 2000 of them stocked up. Went with Pirate runes, since they're basically the same thing as Hoelbrak (I think it's Hoelbrak) but worth about 5% as much for whatever reason. So I'm hopeful there will be some homogenizing done since a lot of runes just do the same thing. Bought them for vendor price so w/e. Can't really lose.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-12-27 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Anyone else get in on the party?
    Nope. As per usual, I did the exact opposite of what I should have done and lost 300g investing in gossamer.

I know I've said this before, but this time I mean it. I am done with GW2's economy. There is nothing fun about playing the TP and, near as I can tell, you practically need to be psychic to have any success with it. I have easily lost a combined 1000g in various attempts over the past year and that's a lot to pay for ignorance, or stupidity, or whatever. I'm waving the white flag. -_- This just isn't my thing.

Deleted
    I doubt Pirate runes will ever reach the same price as Hoelbrak, the -20% condition duration plays a huge part of the rune set vs the pirates parrot summon ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Ethaine321 View Post
    I doubt Pirate runes will ever reach the same price as Hoelbrak, the -20% condition duration plays a huge part of the rune set vs the pirates parrot summon ;p
    People don't buy Hoelbrak (or they shouldn't be....) for the 5pc, you get Hoelbrak 2pc and Pirate 2pc for the double dipping on 20% might duration.

Deleted
    Well I currently use Hoelbrak on my warrior instead of Melandru for WvW as I personally prefer the extra dps you gain, while I see the point in the double dipping, wouldn't it just be better to go for boon duration runes as its only 5% less, while applying to all boons?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethaine321 View Post
    Well I currently use Hoelbrak on my warrior instead of Melandru for WvW as I personally prefer the extra dps you gain, while I see the point in the double dipping, wouldn't it just be better to go for boon duration runes as its only 5% less, while applying to all boons?
    There's only one set of easily attainable +boon duration runes, which is water.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    There's only one set of easily attainable +boon duration runes, which is water.
    There's also the rune of the Monk that gives you +boon duration. You can get them with AC tokens

I filled two banktabs with silk ages ago, a lot of it was used for my ascended armor and leveling the crafts, I haven't bothered selling it because I doubt prices will go down and if they do I honestly don't care.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

It is sort of amusing that the Damask is high (12g+) and all the clothes, meanwhile the leather is under 1g. I do know the cloth is used more and harder to get, so it makes sense, but still it amuses me.

I find it amusing that apparently so few people realised that when a-net said ascended gear would be crafted silk would boom. Leather is only used for medium so /care, iron can be mined ad infinitum so /care that leaves us with cloth which IMO is obvious.

Why it was silk and not gossamer is less clear but can be determined if you look at the blueprints from ascended weapon crafting, sadly this was only a 3month window, on the flip side silk has been at the same price for ages so being early (before asc weapons) with stocking up wasn't better.

I knew there would be an increase, I hadn't expected it to blow up as much though.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it amusing that apparently so few people realised that when a-net said ascended gear would be crafted silk would boom. Leather is only used for medium so /care, iron can be mined ad infinitum so /care that leaves us with cloth which IMO is obvious.

Why it was silk and not gossamer is less clear but can be determined if you look at the blueprints from ascended weapon crafting, sadly this was only a 3month window, on the flip side silk has been at the same price for ages so being early (before asc weapons) with stocking up wasn't better.

I knew there would be an increase, I hadn't expected it to blow up as much though.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

I figured gossamer would go up and I had very little of it, so I grabbed some way ahead of time to avoid the jump, not as a resale thing. Silk I usually have a lot of, so I really hadn't considered getting more to stockpile it. I had made some extra Deldrimmor with the idea that it'd have a short term jump as folks grabbed some up...

Instead the price plummeted 50% or thereabouts, whoops! I didn't have a lot (8 bars) anyway, so not a big deal and the price has risen back a bit now.

I bought some of the Elonian leather for around 80s, like 10ish pieces I think, just in case I need them. Figure the price will probably not go lower, probably will go a little higher after the leveling stuff wears off a bit.

I don't play the market much at all, just dabbling here and there, small risk, small profit/loss. I get my money the way Balthazar intended it, by killing things for their stuff!

The thing that really helped with the silk prices, wasn't just the ascended gear...that would have done a bit, but it was changing it from 2 scraps to 3 scraps for bolts, the supply absolutely tanked almost overnight. Since you need about 6000 scraps to get the light recipes and all.

Plus the fact silk was selling at vendor price made it the obvious choice for any kind of investment. It was all puro. Even if it only managed to double...luckily for some people it absolutely went fuckin' mental.