Deleted

Worth replacing JC with ENG ?

Good Evening MMO Champion. I have a question for you.

My main char sincer ever was prot / ret paladin and still is. I have 600 enchanting + 600 jewelcrafting

Gold wise, I like both (lots and lots of gold earned with both). But this doesn't matter so much b/c I have Ench 600 on two other chars and JC 600 on one other.

Over the years I have collected almost all enchant recipes in game (missing only a few) and almost all Gem recipes in game (the same, missing a few raiding BoPs). So I care for both professions as I have invested much in both.

As utility, Ench is way over JC for me. I solo almost all pre Cataclysm raids and some dungeons every week with a lot of profit for me due to disenchanting everything. As the bonus goes, both are equal.

I've always wanted Engineering on this char, because of the many nice items it provides (mail, repair, blingtron, mounts, pets, gliders, boosters etc - you get the point).

So now comes the question in the title. Given all this info, is it worth replacing Jewelcrafting with Engineering?

PS. Engineering is the only profession which I don't have at 600 (26x on an alt - nothing cool yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Shokat View Post
    Good Evening MMO Champion. I have a question for you.

My main char sincer ever was prot / ret paladin and still is. I have 600 enchanting + 600 jewelcrafting

Gold wise, I like both (lots and lots of gold earned with both). But this doesn't matter so much b/c I have Ench 600 on two other chars and JC 600 on one other.

Over the years I have collected almost all enchant recipes in game (missing only a few) and almost all Gem recipes in game (the same, missing a few raiding BoPs). So I care for both professions as I have invested much in both.

As utility, Ench is way over JC for me. I solo almost all pre Cataclysm raids and some dungeons every week with a lot of profit for me due to disenchanting everything. As the bonus goes, both are equal.

I've always wanted Engineering on this char, because of the many nice items it provides (mail, repair, blingtron, mounts, pets, gliders, boosters etc - you get the point).

So now comes the question in the title. Given all this info, is it worth replacing Jewelcrafting with Engineering?

PS. Engineering is the only profession which I don't have at 600 (26x on an alt - nothing cool yet)
    Both enchanting and jewelcrafting are going to take big hits next expansion on their ability to generate gold. I would say JC is going to be significantly worse off, so yeah, I wouldn't worry about dropping JC to pick up something you think you might enjoy more.

Deleted
    Engineering is so incredibly nice. For everything.

I raid with engi and I gotta say, I wouldn't trade it for a prof giving me twice as good stat procs during a fight. The speed boost (and in some cases the glider) is so valuable for my guild group that 3-4 of us with engi lets us skip hard phases of a fight. Like our Malkorok heroic progress. We were 3 people with immunities or 90% damage reduction + rocket boosts that we could clear the entire room of orbs in a few seconds, leaving the rest of the raid to heal/dps.

Glider is also awesome if you want to take shortcuts inside of instances

Gold-wise; you can deconstruct mechanical bosses in Ulduar (since you said you soloed) for a chance at the valuable vendor items, so there's definitely gold to be gained there.

Jeeves is awesome too, especially if you raid.

And as a paladin, your pursuit of justice is pretty much the only in game speed boost that stacks with engineering (or at least what I've found so far with 7 chars with engi) making your speed boost MUCH more powerful than other classes'. You run at like 450% instead of 250% or something sick like that for 6 whole seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    Both enchanting and jewelcrafting are going to take big hits next expansion on their ability to generate gold. I would say JC is going to be significantly worse off, so yeah, I wouldn't worry about dropping JC to pick up something you think you might enjoy more.
    JC will be decent in 6.0 if the gear you're able to craft matches LFR quality. It's hard to say already now if it really will be worse.

One thing's for sure though, JC will most likely suck hardcore in 6.2 and later on, considering they never add JC stuff mid-expansion, at least not since 3.2.

And who wants a 502 neck now when SoO LFR drops 528? No one, not unless crafting material goes for under 200G. Same thing goes for 6.4.

Deleted
    Yes, I know, but I also had this in my mind, coming from a blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    That said, we don't think these changes have to mean that Jewelcrafting will no longer be a decent source of income. We could -- and this is purely a hypothetical example -- make the best gems rarer, which would drive prices up and increase profit margins. If you can make just as much gold (comparatively) off of one gem in Warlords as you can selling three in Mists, that'll help substantially.
    Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10587068611#9

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    JC is insane for gold, you can rake it in, with almost no effort, Eng however is so fun it should be illegal, IF you just wanna have more fun, snatch up Eng!

I wouldn't go that far. Gems aren't going away. They are going to be more powerful. Just fewer slots on items.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    And as a paladin, your pursuit of justice is pretty much the only in game speed boost that stacks with engineering (or at least what I've found so far with 7 chars with engi) making your speed boost MUCH more powerful than other classes'. You run at like 450% instead of 250% or something sick like that for 6 whole seconds.
    Being a paladin engineer myself, I don't think I could ever go back to not having this speed boost combo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. Gems aren't going away. They are going to be more powerful. Just fewer slots on items.
    Gemmed slots will be about as rare as warforged pieces today, according to what they've hinted. They'd need to cost 3k or something like that to compensate (with my server price)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Being a paladin engineer myself, I don't think I could ever go back to not having this speed boost combo.
    It's wonderful. I'm so glad I chose my paladin as an alt with engineering. Prot pala + engineering = clear a dungeon in 2 sec.

Gemmed slots will be about as rare as warforged pieces today, according to what they've hinted. They'd need to cost 3k or something like that to compensate (with my server price)

- - - Updated - - -

It's wonderful. I'm so glad I chose my paladin as an alt with engineering. Prot pala + engineering = clear a dungeon in 2 sec.
    They never said they would be as rare as warforged pieces. Even if it is. Warforged stuff isn't as uncommon as you would think.

Deleted
    Oh my GOD ! You guys convinced me big time. I'm dropping that JC thing right now. I'll just have to farm again all the JC recipes on my mage.

Also, what's up with Goblin / Gnomish? Is that still a thing in MoP?

Yes, I know, but I also had this in my mind, coming from a blue.

Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10587068611#9
    Supply and demand - if there are the same number of jewelcrafters but demand is significantly lower due to gem slots being rare, theoretical higher profit margins will never materialize due to massive competitive undercutting. They are going to need to add desirable jewelry that keeps up every patch...but that will NOT be high volume and once again, lots of competition - have you ever witnessed how fast a new tailoring pattern gets undercut once enough people can make them? There are probably just as many JCs as Tailors.
    Last edited by azurrei; 2013-12-24 at 09:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    They never said they would be as rare as warforged pieces. Even if it is. Warforged stuff isn't as uncommon as you would think.
    My 10% drop chance feels like 1% drop chance.

Only heroic warforged piece I have is the only piece I have with no crit on. (fire mage...)

But sure, 25% gem slot chance on an "armored" item wouldn't be bad at all or even 25% on every piece except trinkets. 10% would require a LOT of farming the instance before you'd even get close to fully gemmed. Not to speak of how long it would take to get full warforged and full gem slot.

And now I've derailed the subject. Sorry, christmas whiskey at fault.

gnome and gob eng still exists just changes things you can make. but imo Ench + BS > ALL!!

Deleted
    Jeeves is awesome too, especially if you raid.
    Hallå Existenzare!

OnT: You don't need Jeeves as a repair-bot. The lower versions that don't have a cooldown work very well aswell.

Don't forget about the neat portable mailbox aswell ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Aspect of the Cheetah, Unholy Presence, Death's Advance, Celerity, Dash, and Stance of the Fierce Tiger all stack in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Oh my GOD ! You guys convinced me big time. I'm dropping that JC thing right now. I'll just have to farm again all the JC recipes on my mage.

Also, what's up with Goblin / Gnomish? Is that still a thing in MoP?
    I think the main difference between Goblin and Gnomish are the different teleports they get. Gnomish gets Gadgetzan / Blade's Edge, Goblin gets Everlook and Area52. Also some of the pets and mounts you can craft depends on the specialization. That's my view, I don't think combat-wise it matters.

I dumped JC yesterday for Engineering and couldn't be happier. The gold has been decent for the bulk of 5.4, but the margins just keep getting slimmer and slimmer as the patch goes on. Fewer and fewer players are getting upgrades, fewer gems are being sold and there's a race to the bottom where eventually the cost of ore and the average value of gems from a stack of ore are the same.

I feel I've milked all the coin out of it I need to and I have very little faith that it will be all that lucrative of a profession in WoD.

I would power level JC up real quick on an alt, then dump it on your main. Have to say I would wince a bit losing all the old cut recipes that are a giant pain to re-acquire, but most of them are useless now anyhow.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those who haven't ever did any goldmaking constantly throughout an expansion..

The gold is always good for jc for the first half of the exp. After that people quit or take a hiatus from the game, content becomes stale and everyone just waits for the new/next expansion to release. It happens every time, it is just how the cookie crumbles. So your target market becomes the sole survivor players who want to stick it out till the next expansion through their alts and then the pvpers until the season drags on for too long and they lose them too.

Is it worth taking up Eng? If you can afford the power level on another toon, yes, for the time being it is a better option. But keep JC on at least one toon and thank me later. To be the most efficient at goldmaking you, really should, have all proffs maxed throughout toons. This way you never have to worry about it. But that isn't possible for many reasons for many people. Have at least these proffs handy on toons

-JC
    -Eng
    -insc
    -Alchemy

Those are by far the best money makers. Keep that in mind. They have the most use for all the types of WoW playstyles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydruid View Post
    If you can afford the power level on another toon, yes, for the time being it is a better option. But keep JC on at least one toon.
    Thanks for the reply. I already have 600 JC on two other chars now. And Engineering was the only prof not at 600 on at least one char.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    Have to say I would wince a bit losing all the old cut recipes that are a giant pain to re-acquire, but most of them are useless now anyhow.
    Well, I already started collecting them on my mage. So I'll slowly get them back.