Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Working Out Sucks Every New Year

My gym isn't that big, can't wait for the new years resolution crowd to waste our time hogging our weights and machines. Last year our gym got an influx of "new members" and a majority showed up for a few months, Was so hard to do my regular routine.

I'm not looking forward to this.

Why not do something aside from the gym for a week? You can pretty much murder yourself with calisthenics and outdoor activities.

I agree...but my business grows even more.. Or those people who stop training with me and come back and tell me they gained even more weight after they left me thinking they could do it on their own.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to it, last year january at the gym it was just fucking packed. Luckily due to my f'd up sleep pattern I usually go to the gym at 2am so it's pretty much dead, so shouldnt have that problem this year
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Yeah it's a mess if you go in the peak time around 5-6pm. I always train off-peak hours in january. By mid-february it's usually back to normal.

Yeah how inconsiderate of those people, trying to better their lives? More like a bunch of aholes.
    Hi Sephurik

Yeah my gym is pretty small as well to make it worse we only have one power rack I'm sure there will be a long wait to do curls in it again this year.

Deleted
    Stop acting like a retard and give other people a chance to change their life.

Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    Stop acting like a retard and give other people a chance to change their life.
    The only thing retarded is people needing some stupid fad to give them self a reason to get off their ass and change them self. Honestly it is about as stupid as those people who will only go to the gym with a partner. Those who are meant to be fat and unhealthy ultimately will be and those who are meant to change will do it regardless of what time of year it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    Stop acting like a retard and give other people a chance to
    Fail. Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Was so hard to do my regular routine.
    A proper training regimen doesn't' mean doing the same thing year round.

Variation, Cycles, Tapering, all can result in increased performance and new personal bests.

Challenging yourself to deal with obstacles is a good thing. I wouldn't be too bothered by new people and challenge myself to work out in ways that I find uncomfortable.

Somebody on the treadmill I like to use? No big deal. I'll do jump squats, jump lunges, push ups, pulls ups, any # of other exercises consecutively without rest for 15-20 minutes, then cool down on the elliptical.

Or I'll run outside in the snow. There is so much you can do without even needing a gym pass.
    Last edited by StRaIgHtJaCkEt; 2013-12-26 at 05:26 PM.

I work at a huge club and spa here in Colorado. There will always be an influx of members at New Years. Typically the females die off and leave after Valentines Day, and the males leave after Saint Patricks Day. Its like this every year, and it sucks, but it only last around 3 months thankfully.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what you mean i only started working out 5 months ago and i'm dreading it because i know the gym will be crammed with idiots taking selfies because of their new year revaluation that will only last about a week or two i don't mind that they will be going to the gym and taking the weights/machines its the fact that they will only do it for a few days that bugs me about it tbh;/

To be fair, half the "resolutioners" usually wind up signing up, paying their subs & never going after the third week of January - free money for the gym!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

I change my time. 5 am will still be packed, but its manageable to workout, super set other equipment and get a standard workout in. Or go after 7-8 pm. Still will be a mad house but it really thins out quick.

So I tend to go at 5am, get a 1hr workout in, work, nap then head back at 8-9 and get another 1hr workout. Going in between 4-7 is a waste of your time. I still get 7hrs total sleep and you get a change up from the same people you see 4-5 times a week!

Deleted
    Yeh I remember last year waiting for some old woman who you could tell truely was kidding herself. -.- I'm ok with the odd wait, usually I'll go work on something else or do a few ab exercises. But near new years even the mats were crowded ... Best recommendation I could give is to avoid congested times.

I normally go at 8am, so I normally avoid the rushes, though I'm sure I'll see a few new years people in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Minrolol View Post
    The only thing retarded is people needing some stupid fad to give them self a reason to get off their ass and change them self. Honestly it is about as stupid as those people who will only go to the gym with a partner. Those who are meant to be fat and unhealthy ultimately will be and those who are meant to change will do it regardless of what time of year it is.
    Meant to be? I...wat?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    My gym isn't that big, can't wait for the new years resolution crowd to waste our time hogging our weights and machines. Last year our gym got an influx of "new members" and a majority showed up for a few months, Was so hard to do my regular routine.

I'm not looking forward to this.
    It's not your gym, get over it.

I sure hope you're not one of those people who looks down on or makes fun of fat people, otherwise you're a huge fucking hypocrite with a serious case of first-world problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    my gym is also small and usually quiet, and I saw a bunch of new people getting their inductions for after the New Year last time I was in jsut before Christmas, and you know what? Good on them. Sure, some will eventually drop out, but hopefully some will also stick around and enjoy getting fitter. Gyms are open for everyone who wants to sign up, it's not an elitist club and it's not high-school where everyone looks down on the new guy. I'm disabled and originally went to the gym to improve my physical and mental health, and I see all kinds of people of various levels coming in and trying their best, it's inspiring and people deserve encouragement for trying to better their lives instead of being ridiculed by selfish jerks who think they own the gym just because they were there first.

Don't like new people coming to your precious gym? Either shell out on your own home gym or get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke1096 View Post
    Personally, I think it would be hilarious if Troll Druids turned into walking cannabis plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumpet View Post
    my gym is also small and usually quiet, and I saw a bunch of new people getting their inductions for after the New Year last time I was in jsut before Christmas, and you know what? Good on them. Sure, some will eventually drop out, but hopefully some will also stick around and enjoy getting fitter. Gyms are open for everyone who wants to sign up, it's not an elitist club and it's not high-school where everyone looks down on the new guy. I'm disabled and originally went to the gym to improve my physical and mental health, and I see all kinds of people of various levels coming in and trying their best, it's inspiring and people deserve encouragement for trying to better their lives instead of being ridiculed by selfish jerks who think they own the gym just because they were there first.

Don't like new people coming to your precious gym? Either shell out on your own home gym or get over it.
    Thank you for being a sensible voice in this crowd. I'm quite overweight and I've tried to stick with the gym a few times, it's not easy. The last thing people trying their hardest already to get in shape need is gym cliques judging them because apparently they aren't doing it for the 'right' reason.