Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tinix View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think I am going to buy it and try it, I was just scared because of the overwhelming negative feedback on the internet. As for what kind of player I am I usually solo PvE or do 5 mans and LFR very very rarely raiding with the ocassional BG or two and I am also a bit of altoholic.
    The negative feedback is usually from people who are trying to directly compare it to WoW. They are 2 different games. Eventhough they are both MMOs they function differently.

For starters WoW trys to skip as much as the leveling as possible to get to "end game" in GW2 end game is comprised of what you want to do regardless of level so trying to grind out to max level is pretty irrelevant. Play the game at your own pace and enjoy it don't treat it like you would something like WoW or Rift.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I'm not sure whether or not you're going to log the same amount of hours in to GW2 as you will/have for WoW. But for $50, I would definitely say that it's worth the price, especially if you've already tried the game and enjoyed it.

Of course, if you're still uncertain, you can always wait until it goes on sale again.

Deleted
    I bought it for 30smth euro and i enjoy it very much, it's way better than buying a wow gamecard and doing nothing for the next 2 months

Deleted
    Was easilly worth the money for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Do you have the correct forum, Picafumo?

This is the Guild Wars 2 sub forum. We try to keep discussion here related to or concerning the Guild Wars franchise as gameplay, play experience, news & information and design.

Extended discussion on other games is not really what this forum is about. Though it's fine to use other games in example or relating to a point on a Guild Wars topic.

I just wanna make sure you clicked the right forum before I get my moderator scarf out.
    Yes im in the right forum!

He started the topic talking about wow, the comparison is just happening...

Besides that i talked about both games! My experience as a wow and gw2 player. Its just impossible to talk about gw2 without talking about any other mmorpg, the same as we do with other games.

Anyway if you want to delete my post, feel free, but there`s other members talking about same thing!

I was skeptical about buying GW2 at first, its definitely different and takes a little while to get used too. I was so used to playing wow and how that worked, but I like it, and like I said its different, but different in a good way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    If you liked "PvE Content" (Dungeons, raids, etc) then don't be fooled by GW2's "whole game is endgame" stuff, there simply isn't any of what you're looking for.
    I agree with you on Raids but you are very mistaken on Dungeons.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-12-27 at 07:49 PM.
    Valar morghulis

It's like I always tell people, if leveling, farming, collecting pets, exploring, etc are your favorite parts of WoW, then you'll love GW2 because it's essentially a never-ending version of that.
    I can see that and agree to a certain degree. GW2 very much tries to appeal to the casual MMORPG player who wants a little immediate action every now & then. Without a lot of setup.

If you liked "PvE Content" (Dungeons, raids, etc) then don't be fooled by GW2's "whole game is endgame" stuff, there simply isn't any of what you're looking for.
    However, one can do dungeons and fractals fairly early on in GW2. And they remain relevant to the player for a long time. Endlessly, perhaps.

Yes im in the right forum!
    That's fine. I just wanted to make sure you were in the intended forum. We do get a lot of MMO-C frontpage crossover here. People often mistake this for the main Warcraft forum as such.

You're not in trouble or did anything wrong.

It's definitely worth buying, beautiful game with a lot of interesting and fun stuff like WvW and jumping puzzles. Just don't expect to be completely blown away, especially once you reach end game. The game struggles to balance or fix the smallest of things, and endgame is very underwhelming once you have done everything once. For me in the end it came down to grinding or whipping out my credit card to avoid most of the grind.

Especially if you are spoiled by Blizzard, don't expect too much. But as I said, it is definitely worth the money.

If your favorite part of WoW was roaming around, exploring, doing quests, farming, all that sort of thing, without caring about gear or "progress"...you'll probably love GW2 because it's all that x100.

If you actually enjoyed dungeons/raids in WoW but are just bored with that one game in particular, then GW2 really isn't the game you're looking for.
    I love the game, but I agree with this. If you come into GW2 expecting WoW+, you are just going to be disappointed. If the thing that bothered you about WoW was being funneled into raids for the only content a month in, then GW2 could be a good release from that. GW2 is the MMO I'd recommend for someone who had never played an MMO before though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    It's definitely worth buying, beautiful game with a lot of interesting and fun stuff like WvW and jumping puzzles. Just don't expect to be completely blown away, especially once you reach end game. The game struggles to balance or fix the smallest of things, and endgame is very underwhelming once you have done everything once. For me in the end it came down to grinding or whipping out my credit card to avoid most of the grind.

Especially if you are spoiled by Blizzard, don't expect too much. But as I said, it is definitely worth the money.
    I dunno, I feel pretty spoiled with content every two weeks
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    So I went out today and bought the game. I have one regret now. That I still have two months of WoW. I got completely sucked into this game and having a blast. Last time I had blast in WoW was with the release of Timeless Isle and whole game based around that... I really really like it. And I also tried a bit of WvWvW today and while not being biggest fan of PvP... I kinda like siege battles (I loved Wintergrasp back in Wrath). Completely sucked in. I am really grateful that I bought it.

Deleted
    Haha well, nice you're enjoying the game ^^ And I hope you will for a little while. I'm usually the one that sees people come and go. Once I started GW2, I never really quit playing. Still logging in almost daily if I am able to.

Raids, sure, Dungeons, they're in. Scenarios, sure, what other "PvE Content" is there? Daily quests? I guess they're missing, but there is a daily system.

So I went out today and bought the game. I have one regret now. That I still have two months of WoW. I got completely sucked into this game and having a blast. Last time I had blast in WoW was with the release of Timeless Isle and whole game based around that... I really really like it. And I also tried a bit of WvWvW today and while not being biggest fan of PvP... I kinda like siege battles (I loved Wintergrasp back in Wrath). Completely sucked in. I am really grateful that I bought it.
    Good to hear that you're enjoying it.

Take it as a lesson in internet. If you go ask the net about an MMO, chances are the internet will tell you its worse than slavery.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be interested to see in a months time whether you're still sucked in, I don't regret owning the game, I regret getting involved in betas and the hype and totally working myself up for what was eventually the biggest let down of my gaming history. Like I say, glad I owned it though even if it only gave me 50 odd hours.

Play a game for what the game is. If you get caught up in the hype/launch/burn cycle then you rob yourself of an honest experience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I would be interested to see in a months time whether you're still sucked in, I don't regret owning the game, I regret getting involved in betas and the hype and totally working myself up for what was eventually the biggest let down of my gaming history. Like I say, glad I owned it though even if it only gave me 50 odd hours.
    On 1st thought I didn't agree with you, but now I am level 80, my opinion is changing slightly.

Ascendance/Legendary gear is an awful grind, yes they shouldn't be easy to get, but they aren't hard, it just takes 1) a hell load of time 2) A ton of money. Where has the skill gone from getting end game gear? You can literally just buy your legendary weapon from the TP if you have the gold, it doesn't feel very legendary. And the Ascendance armour, it's a very minor upgrade from what dungeon gear is. Granted, you still want to farm it, but having played many MMOs, gear that takes this long should feel epic, and a lust to have it, atm, I just don't feel that, most of it even looks shit (style wise)

And the dungeons...the dungeons. The ones I have done are incredibly short and/or boring. CoF (Seems like the one people farm the most) is so dull and the only time you'll end up finding yourself dying is those bombs in part 3 that explode on a timer and you have to be extremely fast to pass them. Apart from those, and fractals which sounds like a good idea, but gets boring quick, there really isn't much to do at end game. I found WvW more fun when I went around in small groups and took smaller basers with 4-5 people, but you rarely find it as people just stick to the commander and get zerged, or zerg the enemy team under 2-3 frames per second, that isn't fun in my eyes.

That said though, the game is still somewhat fun, I still find myself logging in each day to do my daily, and the jumping puzzles which I highly enjoy and recommend to do most of em, without reading the wiki on how to do em. I will still go the length to make a legendary weapon, and ascendance armour, but I do think Anet could have made them so much more fun to obtain, and easily given them the status they deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye Moosie all of what you said is pretty much how I felt, there is enough in this game to make it worth buying, but I think, and this is purely anecdotal based and with no basis in fact, most people lose a connection with the game far more quickly than any other MMO before it.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-01-08 at 07:44 AM.

I've got 3000 hours in it and still playing. I never lost connection. There's a certain type of MMO player that will use up the game and leave, but considering the high quality of the game and the flow of content, there's no real reason to lose connection.