Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bought Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, and The Witcher 2...

Bought them both for a combined total for like 15 dollars on the steam holiday sale. Was wondering which one I should start with, and which one is shorter or longer, or even how good it is. Anyways, thanks in advance
    Last edited by yack346; 2013-12-27 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Title was in post

I'm confused how you can't figure out which game you got to play first. It's not a difficult decision, nor one that really matters. They're video games, play the one you want to play first.

????

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Souls is impossible unless you have a controller.

Deleted
    Start with The Witcher 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    There are some fixes for that game but yeah, it's pretty much broken on its own with the controls not being the biggest issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Souls, purely following the route to beat the game the quickest, is definitely shorter. It also has less story than The Witcher 2. However, my personal choice is and will always be Dark Souls over any other game people put it up against.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Dark Souls is one of, if not my favorite game. It's not particularly long per se, but it may be artificially long depending on how difficult it is for you. Witcher 2 is a fantastic game as well, but nowhere near as good as Dark Souls is, imo. If story is your thing, Witcher is a good starting point. Combat, Dark Souls. You honestly can't go wrong either way.

Have you played the first witcher?

Having played both and thoroughly enjoyed both, I found that the Witcher has a better storyline and much more open feel. Darksouls however, has far better combat. Much more fair. Sure, the game can be brutally hard at some points with a very steep learning curve but it wont cheat you. If you fail it's because you fucked up. Dark Souls was much more rewarding when the bosses fell. I played DS before Witcher, going from DS to witcher the combat was terrible. There is a combat re-balance mod for Witcher2 that I highly recommend--Only downside is it breaks the tutorial. On the Dark Souls side, DSfix I think is the one that you really want to look into getting. I wouldn't worry about either ruining the experience, and would install them before starting to play.

Both excellent games, just flip a coin and enjoy!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Smegdead/advanced
    http://www.wowprogress.com/character/eu/kazzak/Smegdead
    https://raider.io/characters/eu/kazzak/Smegdead

15+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations on byuing the two best games ever. Witcher is the best RPG of all times story-wise, Dark Souls has the best combat.
    That's a common misconception.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post
    I'm confused how you can't figure out which game you got to play first. It's not a difficult decision, nor one that really matters. They're video games, play the one you want to play first.

????
    What I should of said was, I do not have a lot of time to play atm, so which game would basically be short and sweet. But anyways, thanks for all the responses so far :O

Yeah get a controller as been said, otherwise you are making a hard game x1,000 times harder.

I would recommend playing The Witcher if you haven't before playing the second, incredible game not worth missing + you learn about the characters more and know how things in the world work better.

Darksouls is such a great game, It's like the worst person you can think of got ahold of your brain and fucked it and your brain had a baby and gave you the perfect game.

Dark souls not short or sweet it's a very unforgiving game and will probably cost you your sanity by the end.

Witcher 2 I have no imput on that since i have owned it for a few months and won't play it because i'm lazy.

Dark souls, it may take a tiny bit to learn without a controller but it's worth it.

Great game to play imo, doubtful you would enjoy if you don't like dieing a lot.
    Last edited by Cocobutters; 2013-12-27 at 08:49 AM.

Deleted
    I feel as if I'm the only person who doesn't like either game could not get used to the controls in either game, felt as if the controls were letting me down a lot and I don't have a ton of patience for that...

Go with The Witcher first, I enjoyed that slightly more than Dark Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I feel as if I'm the only person who doesn't like either game could not get used to the controls in either game, felt as if the controls were letting me down a lot and I don't have a ton of patience for that...

Go with The Witcher first, I enjoyed that slightly more than Dark Souls.
    It's OK, games are like art which is subjective, your favorite game ever might be a boring pointless game to me and vice versa.

I personally really enjoyed playing Dark Souls (although I haven't finished it yet). As for the Witcher 2, the controls were absolutely horrendous, I just couldn't play the game at all. I ended up watching a play through of the game on YouTube.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first playthrough of both games clocked about 40-50 hours for me. However, I played through Dark Souls 3-4 times to make sure I saw and did everything. I've been meaning to come back and play Witcher 2, but stuff keeps coming. Both are superb games though. Flip a coin if you can't decide. No matter what the result, you are a winner.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuma View Post
    It's OK, games are like art which is subjective, your favorite game ever might be a boring pointless game to me and vice versa.
    Shhh... You're on the internet! You're not allowed to tolerate other peoples opinions which aren't the same as yours! People are either right or wrong!

well that just isn't true.

Dsfix and Dsmfix

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know anything about Witcher 2, but I picked up Dark Souls and just about wanted to punch a developer/publisher in the face just getting to the point where I could, you know, play the game.

Its a BAD PC port. Bad.

If you aren't going to give proper keyboard and mouse support for a game you are porting to PC then you get on my "Fuck this, I'm out," list real damn fast. You shouldn't have to download a mod or rebind half the damn keys to get basic functionality. Plenty of other games have been ported over from the XBOX360 and weren't horrible like this game.

So yeah, it made it to 54 minutes of play time before being uninstalled by me...which is really saying something considering some rather crappy games have made it to the two hour mark.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2013-12-27 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    That's a common misconception.
    Unless you use external mods for the controls dark souls is a hard game that you handicap yourself in further by playing with KB/M combo, not impossible but way harder than it needs to be.